Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Please don't kid yourself that wood floors will prevent fleas or moths for that matter. Fleas can happily wait for weeks between feeds and the back of a sofa or under a bed will do. Same for moths that are happy to eat woollen clothing if carpets are unavailable. Indorex spray will deal with both.

Never had them problem myself and we're pretty much carpet free :) But them again, carpets are a bit naff.
    Carpet moths and clothes moths are the same species. They'll turn up anywhere there's wool. If you're more of a polyester man then you'll be fine. Fleas on the other hand are very much an equal opportunities pest. Wood floors have their own selection of pests too.
    [Like]

The ultimate cure for all beasties is Wykabor. I covered PPP with it when it was stripped and then left it all sealed up for 3 days.
    Boy it stinks. I mean, it really stinks.
    Rick might not be able to live in his own house after applying it but at least he'll get ride of the moths.

Beans gets the posh spot on. It's pricey but lasts 3 months.

We had a cat called Beans when I was growing up. Plus Oats and Barley.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

They’re coming from the attic. I can see them crawling out of the tiny gap around the edge of the hatch.

I suspect a spare piece of carpet up there is the epicentre.

I thought I’d cleared the vast majority today but as I head back upstairs tonight plenty flying around the walls again, ugh.

Could well have been there when you bought the place or a parting gift from the removal vans. We had an outbreak of bed bugs when we last moved.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Well the epicentre was indeed in the loft. An old Persian rug that we didn’t have floor space for, and some excess carpet.

Popped my head into the loft and stuck it straight into a swarm of moths.

Whole place was covered in dead moths and half chewed and blackened rug.

Took those out along with some old dust sheets straight to the tip, sprayed some anti moth stuff and put a few moth traps in.

Fingers crossed that calms things down a bit.

Honestly, it was filthy. Absolutely covered.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Came home late last night from the holiday.

28 degrees upstairs and absolutely crawling with carpet moths.

Hundreds of them. Floor was covered - they’d all rise out of the carpet as you walked. All up the walls, over the ceiling.

Grim.

Had planned to spend the post holiday weekend prolonging it.

Instead I’ve been crawling around trying to get the vacuum into ever crevice, tonne of washing, and spraying various chemicals everywhere

Wood flooring is the way forward. Ditch the Boomer style carpets ;)

I had an epiphany in similar style after a holiday, but it was the dog's discarded fleas who were super-hungry that persuaded me to reduce carpet coverage. They seemed to think that my ankles were where it was at.
    We have 2 dogs but never been an issue, so am assuming the wood floors and tiled floors help.
    Won't make any noticeable difference: you have clothes and bedding I presume; and upholstered furniture? Keeping the dogs up to date with Frontline or other spot on treatment is the best bet.
    We do that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Hundreds of them. Floor was covered - they’d all rise out of the carpet as you walked. All up the walls, over the ceiling.

Grim.

Instead I’ve been crawling around trying to get the vacuum into ever crevice, tonne of washing, and spraying various chemicals everywhere

I had an epiphany in similar style after a holiday, but it was the dog's discarded fleas who were super-hungry that persuaded me to reduce carpet coverage. They seemed to think that my ankles were where it was at.
    We have 2 dogs but never been an issue, so am assuming the wood floors and tiled floors help.
    Won't make any noticeable difference: you have clothes and bedding I presume; and upholstered furniture? Keeping the dogs up to date with Frontline or other spot on treatment is the best bet.
    We do that.
    Strange you bother with all the protection your floors are providing
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Grim.

We do that.
    Strange you bother with all the protection your floors are providing
    The dogs get the usual anti-parasite treatments regardless. And your point is?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Grim.

We do that.
    👍🏻 You'll be fine if you suddenly decide to buy some rugs.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    I know it is harsh, but relay swims across the channel. Swimming the channel is a massive achievement whereas swimming a leg is much less so.
  • rjsterry
    Food waste bins in this weather. Fine one day; seething with maggots the next.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    rjsterry said:

We forgot to cancel our weekly meal delivery by the deadline before going away for the week so said to our daughter to pick it up on her way home from work. She forgot so it ended up sat on our doorstep all last week.

Luckily the meat was all sealed and the packing held the worst of the smell in but you could still detect rotten meat from a metre or two away. No maggots at that point but I had to empty it into a food waste bag and then into the food bin so there probably will be by time it gets taken away.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

I've given up on them which is a shame. Either they are open which gets flies everywhere or closed and then everything turns to water and leaks. Maybe I don't have enough waste.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I think I’ve mentioned this before but toilets with automatic flush sensors that flush at the slightest body movement even when you’re still sat on it.
  • TheBigBean
    My broken washing machine does have an easy to access door release, but it is not mentioned in the manual or on the internet. Even more trivially annoying. And it's still broken as it needs a new circuit board. Modern tech.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    Our neighbourhood foxes have worked out how to open the lid locks as well...
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 667
    Maybe they could've got TBB's washing machine open?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    Stick some leftover chicken chow mein in there and they'll give it a good go.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I was walking through a local park a while back and they were having an official opening for a new pond. It was completely fenced in, someone asked if it was to protect children as a child could easily open the gate. To keep dogs out was the answer, apparently a single dog with flea drops going into the pond would kill all invertebrate life in it, this would lead to algae taking over and effectively kill off the pond.
    It is indeed potent stuff.
  • rjsterry

I was walking through a local park a while back and they were having an official opening for a new pond. It was completely fenced in, someone asked if it was to protect children as a child could easily open the gate. To keep dogs out was the answer, apparently a single dog with flea drops going into the pond would kill all invertebrate life in it, this would lead to algae taking over and effectively kill off the pond.

Good to know. Sounds like someone found that out the hard way.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    rjsterry said:

Good to know. Sounds like someone found that out the hard way.
    I was surprised when I heard it, I’ve noticed a few other ponds being fenced in, presumably for the same reason. You’d think it would be more widely publicised.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    I suspect this is a two and two equals five policy to be honest.

The issue seems to be use of neonicitinoids, which have been banned in the UK and Europe for 5 years now for outside use. But it is still allowed for veterinary use.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/toxic-pet-flea-treatments-pollute-our-rivers-scientists-warn-clean-it-up-kkjs66ws7#:~:text=Scientists have advised pet owners,watercourses and damage aquatic ecosystems.

It's actually absorbed into the bloodstream so my hunch is that someone has calculated the effect of the medication itself, rather than a dog that has been treated with it.

In any case, vets grossly over prescribe flea and worming treatments in my experience.
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2023

The issue seems to be use of neonicitinoids, which have been banned in the UK and Europe for 5 years now for outside use. But it is still allowed for veterinary use.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/toxic-pet-flea-treatments-pollute-our-rivers-scientists-warn-clean-it-up-kkjs66ws7#:~:text=Scientists have advised pet owners,watercourses and damage aquatic ecosystems.

It's actually absorbed into the bloodstream so my hunch is that someone has calculated the effect of the medication itself, rather than a dog that has been treated with it.

In any case, vets grossly over prescribe flea and worming treatments in my experience.

In your expert opinion.

High levels of fipronil (active ingredient of Frontline and I believe not a neonicotinoid, but still pretty harmful to insects) have been detected in river water so I don't think it's just an assumption. Having seen the number of pets that don't get treated for fleas or worms, I think the chances of contact with an infested host are pretty high in urban areas especially where you have foxes.

Worm treatments are different again.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Petrol caps on differing sides of different cars. I always forget which side it’s on when I pull into refuel. Always a pain. Always annoying. And very trivial.
  • First.Aspect
    wavefront said:

Petrol caps on differing sides of different cars. I always forget which side it’s on when I pull into refuel. Always a pain. Always annoying. And very trivial.

There's an arrow on the fuel gauge for that.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I've given up on them which is a shame. Either they are open which gets flies everywhere or closed and then everything turns to water and leaks. Maybe I don't have enough waste.

Even better when they have a late collection for no obvious reason so your fetid little breeding ground is sat out front for a day and a half like some perverse sacrificial offering.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

In your expert opinion.

High levels of fipronil (active ingredient of Frontline) have been detected in river water so I don't think it's just an assumption. Having seen the number of pets that don't get treated for fleas or worms, I think the chances of contact with an infested host are pretty high in urban areas especially where you have foxes.

Worm treatments are different again.
    Yeah neonicitinoids are the flea treatments. And I said it was a hunch, because the statement, "a single dog with flea drops going into the pond would kill all invertebrate life in it" smacks of homeopathic insecticide.

Depends on the size of the pond I suppose.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

wavefront said:

No - my arrow points left (n/s) when it's empty and the cap is on the right (o/s).
    The porker arrow points int he right direction though.

Interestingly, they are both made in Germany.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Even better when they have a late collection for no obvious reason so your fetid little breeding ground is sat out front for a day and a half like some perverse sacrificial offering.
    We have a communal food waste bin. Somehow people manage to put plastic bags in it and various other non food stuff. That's also annoying.
  • pinno

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

We have a communal food waste bin. Somehow people manage to put plastic bags in it and various other non food stuff. That's also annoying.
    Oh you have no idea - the stuff we used to get in our Can banks.
    I mean, it said on a big label CANS.

Dog sh1t was frequently put in them. I caught one f*cker depositing a bag. The only f*cker I caught. He had his relations and kids in tow.
    He said he 'hadn't realised' ?! I said firmly and without shouting (my two assistants were ex cons so I had some amount of license) "You do realise that dog sh1t will have to be removed by hand and many of my volunteers are disabled people?".
    I used my key to open the lid and he retrieved his bag of sh1t rather red faced.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

wavefront said:

No - my arrow points left (n/s) when it's empty and the cap is on the right (o/s).

The the back of your car the same make as the front?
  • pinno

pinno said:

wavefront said:

The the back of your car the same make as the front?
    One half made in Stuttgart and the other in Neckarsulm? No.
    The other is made in Munich. All of it.