Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

rjsterry said:

Oh, while we're on the subject of mobiles, parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram. Everything that is said to that child is building its brain and its personality, and everything it says should be listened to and responded to, if they want to give its brain the best chance. Get off the fvcking phone.

As a variant, taking your children to dinner in a restaurant, parking them in front of a tablet with headphones and ignoring them for the whole meal.
    Saves £15 for the baby sitter. That's both main courses.
    Not where I eat. Was it McDonald's?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,880
    The world is full of boring arseholes, the chances of them being stuck with each other must be pretty high.

I guess twitter might be an appealing alternative to conversation in that case.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Can we add couples that go out for a meal together then spend the whole time looking at their phones,
    I know it's not affecting individual development, but it's definitely odd.

Once watched a family of four come into a fine dining restaurant that never said a word apart from ordering food and drink, nor look at anything other than menu and phones.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525

Can we add couples that go out for a meal together then spend the whole time looking at their phones,

This annoys you? I've never understood the random judgements people pass on things that have no impact on them. For example, plenty of people get uppity about how others dress.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,089

rjsterry said:

Oh, while we're on the subject of mobiles, parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram. Everything that is said to that child is building its brain and its personality, and everything it says should be listened to and responded to, if they want to give its brain the best chance. Get off the fvcking phone.

As a variant, taking your children to dinner in a restaurant, parking them in front of a tablet with headphones and ignoring them for the whole meal.
    In an all inclusive hotel? Just leave the bleeders at home if you hate them that much.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,642

This annoys you? I've never understood the random judgements people pass on things that have no impact on them. For example, plenty of people get uppity about how others dress.
    Part of the restaurant experience is the vibe and buzz about the place. I get that.

Obama complains he misses that since being president; too often whisked away to the private room.
  • TheBigBean

Part of the restaurant experience is the vibe and buzz about the place. I get that.

Obama complains he misses that since being president; too often whisked away to the private room.
    It's about the food for me. I don't care if someone else is wearing a mankini.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

In an all inclusive hotel? Just leave the bleeders at home if you hate them that much.
    Any screen time for kids is a sign of parental hate? Or you've decided when other kids should be allowed to watch?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Wouldn’t that put you off your food?
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Wouldn’t that put you off your food?
    I really wouldn't notice. All the chat about other people using mobiles makes me wonder why some people spend so much time looking at everyone else rather than enjoying their food, chatting, looking at their own mobile etc.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Any screen time for kids is a sign of parental hate? Or you've decided when other kids should be allowed to watch?
    Not my idea of a family thing to go to a restaurant and be sat there on your phone.
    Meal times at casa Pinno (or anywhere) - no phone and telly off.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Clearly not what I wrote. I think ignoring your children and not teaching them basic table manners is not a positive thing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    edited June 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Clearly not what I wrote. I think ignoring your children and not teaching them basic table manners is not a positive thing.
    Is the mobile phone a breach of your table manners or are they engaged in a food fight whilst on their mobiles?

As to ignoring them, that just goes back to what I said, are they never allowed any screen time (aka parental hate and being ignored)?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Is the mobile phone a breach of your table manners or are they engaged in a food fight whilst on their mobiles?

As to ignoring them, that just goes back to what I said, are they never allowed any screen time (aka parental hate and being ignored)?
    I'm quite old-fashioned about table manners. I was also tutting about the people who couldn't even manage the very relaxed dress code. I didn't say anything about banning screens altogether. You're free to disagree.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I'm quite old-fashioned about table manners. I was also tutting about the people who couldn't even manage the very relaxed dress code. I didn't say anything about banning screens altogether. You're free to disagree.
    I just find it odd to be bothered about other people. The point about banning screens is that you are arguing the use of them at a dinner table is terrible and I don't understand why that position only applies when eating.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    To be honest, I find having them on phones or tablets but keeping quiet preferential to when adults leave their kids to run around other diners unsupervised whilst getting the food and drink down them. Kids do get easily bored so something to stimulate them is useful, with my kids it was usually a colouring book.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    OT: Scottish power.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

To be honest, I find having them on phones or tablets but keeping quiet preferential to when adults leave their kids to run around other diners unsupervised whilst getting the food and drink down them. Kids do get easily bored so something to stimulate them is useful, with my kids it was usually a colouring book.

This is the fully approved parenting technique that apparently doesn't involve ignoring them.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I just find it odd to be bothered about other people. The point about banning screens is that you are arguing the use of them at a dinner table is terrible and I don't understand why that position only applies when eating.
    I think a family meal is more than just eating. Ignoring your family when they are sat opposite you at dinner is pretty antisocial.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think a family meal is more than just eating. Ignoring your family when they are sat opposite you at dinner is pretty antisocial.

I have a fairly good record of guessing which pupils regularly have family meals around the dining table with lively discussion... there's something about the way they engage in sharing/discussing of ideas by the age of 12/13ish, and the way they listen and respond to an adult putting forward random (or not so random) ideas.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I have a fairly good record of guessing which pupils regularly have family meals around the dining table with lively discussion... there's something about the way they engage in sharing/discussing of ideas by the age of 12/13ish, and the way they listen and respond to an adult putting forward random (or not so random) ideas.
    How are you testing your hypothesis?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

But fine when they are on the sofa...

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not scientific at all, but if I get pupils of that sort of age who engage as I describe, then I ask them if the norm is family meals & discussion, as my hunch is that that sort of engagement develops with regular practice.
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not scientific at all, but if I get pupils of that sort of age who engage as I describe, then I ask them if the norm is family meals & discussion, as my hunch is that that sort of engagement develops with regular practice.
    How have you explained the difference between siblings?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Depends. Equally, reading a book in the middle of a family meal is pretty rude.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I would imagine that this is a minority view. At its core, you seem to value the family meal time which is fine, but it seems a bit pointless to me to be annoyed (even trivially so) that someone else does not. Your other views "hate them that much" and "ignoring your children" are pretty ignorant in my view.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I would imagine that this is a minority view. At its core, you seem to value the family meal time which is fine, but it seems a bit pointless to me to be annoyed (even trivially so) that someone else does not. Your other views "hate them that much" and "ignoring your children" are pretty ignorant in my view.
    I do occasionally mix with other parents. Some of them really seem to resent being a parent. On one level that's fine - some of it is really tedious and exhausting, but it certainly wasn't the child's fault.

I appreciate that some people will have good reasons why their child really can't cope with a slightly more formal setting like a restaurant. I'm not sure that's as common as the prevalence of tablets and headphones suggests.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

I do occasionally mix with other parents. Some of them really seem to resent being a parent. On one level that's fine - some of it is really tedious and exhausting, but it certainly wasn't the child's fault.

In these cases the kids have my sympathy, but I think more information is required before passing judgement.
    rjsterry said:

I appreciate that some people will have good reasons why their child really can't cope with a slightly more formal setting like a restaurant. I'm not sure that's as common as the prevalence of tablets and headphones suggests.

Again, this is just you attaching importance to dining together and eating out. Other people, including me, don't attach such importance to it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I agree with RJS, some people really shouldn't have children, my previous neighbours were a prime example, they were too selfish to have children, yet ignored all 3 of them. The new neighbours are quite the reverse. We still hear a lot of noise, but instead of kids wailing for attention and the parents shouting things like "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?" at a baby that's been babbling but completely ignored for over half an hour, the new neighbours interact with them and conversation is a two way thing.
    With regards to eating out, I don't just go out for the food. I enjoy the company and the experience as well. With regard to other people, I wouldn't say using their phones throughout annoys me, I just find it odd. They'd clearly rather be with someone else. People watching can also be quite entertaining.
  • TheBigBean

With regards to eating out, I don't just go out for the food. I enjoy the company and the experience as well. With regard to other people, I wouldn't say using their phones throughout annoys me, I just find it odd. They'd clearly rather be with someone else. People watching can also be quite entertaining.

It depends how long the diners have spent with each other previously. If they have just spent the previous 12 hours together either sightseeing or working and simply want some food before they go to bed, it's not really surprising that they want to use their phones to catch up on other things. If it is a first date, then it is probably not going that well.