Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Putting reporters in bars and fan zones to report on the atmosphere’ of large sporting events (usually football). What benefit or insight does it give?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited June 2023
    Sportsmen and Sportswomen, who, after winning an event, "show off their small children to the crowd" : :s .
  • Pross
    Toilet seats that stay up just long enough for you to get a full stream going before dropping down.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    morstar said:

Lost my Tesco club card years ago but don’t really shop there so never bothered replacing.

We have a small opening nearby which will inevitably get some use as it is walkable.

Tried to replace club card.

“To reduce plastic waste, why not use the app?”

Sure, that makes sense.

“To activate the app, enter these numbers from your club card.”

But I don’t have the club card.
    Order replacement.

“To reduce plastic…”

And then they even ask why you ‘want’ a plastic one when you follow the reorder route.

I made a point of saying I don’t want a plastic one.

I never got a physical one when I got the app, so there must be a way. Don't want one, I don't often shop there, the only reason is because they have insane prices for people without clubcards. That pricing strategy does annoy me. Sainsbury's doing it now. You can choose whether to use a nectar card, but you will pay £1.50 for a pineapple with a nectar card, or £5,200 without.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    pinno said:

Talking of Derby's, I would love to go to an Inter Milan/AC Milan fixture.

I’ve been. Wasn’t all that tbh.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Lost my Tesco club card years ago but don’t really shop there so never bothered replacing.

We have a small opening nearby which will inevitably get some use as it is walkable.

Tried to replace club card.

“To reduce plastic waste, why not use the app?”

Sure, that makes sense.

“To activate the app, enter these numbers from your club card.”

But I don’t have the club card.
    Order replacement.

“To reduce plastic…”

And then they even ask why you ‘want’ a plastic one when you follow the reorder route.

I made a point of saying I don’t want a plastic one.

I never got a physical one when I got the app, so there must be a way. Don't want one, I don't often shop there, the only reason is because they have insane prices for people without clubcards. That pricing strategy does annoy me. Sainsbury's doing it now. You can choose whether to use a nectar card, but you will pay £1.50 for a pineapple with a nectar card, or £5,200 without.
    The latter point is why I’m getting one. I will inevitably use the new store and would rather not pay silly prices for going without.

I assumed there must be a way to activate the app without a new card but having going round the same loop twice I gave up.
  • morstar
    HMRC: Now I have regularly praised how good the PAYE system has become for working things out so that you neither owe them loads or vice versa at year end.

Last year, my correctly calculated tax code and actual bill were £3.40 apart after all my known contributions allowances etc. were taken into account.

For some reason, this year my tax code ignores all my pension contributions. Means I need to pay a load of tax and get a rebate next year. Went into the self assessment portal to add all the info to avoid all the faff.

Not good enough apparently. Can’t do anything despite it being virtually spot on last year and close the year before. Backwards progress in action.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited June 2023
    morstar said:

HMRC: Now I have regularly praised how good the PAYE system has become for working things out so that you neither owe them loads or vice versa at year end.

Last year, my correctly calculated tax code and actual bill were £3.40 apart after all my known contributions allowances etc. were taken into account.

For some reason, this year my tax code ignores all my pension contributions. Means I need to pay a load of tax and get a rebate next year. Went into the self assessment portal to add all the info to avoid all the faff.

Not good enough apparently. Can’t do anything despite it being virtually spot on last year and close the year before. Backwards progress in action.

There is an automatic algorithm that fucks up tax codes. I hard wired mine correctly last year to zero my allowance and avoid a bill right around now. It was over written almost immediately. I didn't pay attention to the letter telling me my code had changed, because I assumed it was a result of my action on the portal. But no, it was generated by the same machine that put my estimated income back to what it was 2 years ago.

Result is I've got a 2.5k bill.

The system they use routinely does this sort of thing and it is infuriating.
  • morstar

morstar said:

There is an automatic algorithm that fucks up tax codes. I hard wired mine correctly last year to zero my allowance and avoid a bill right around now. It was over written almost immediately. I didn't pay attention to the letter telling me my code had changed, because I assumed it was a result of my action on the portal. But no, it was generated by the same machine that put my estimated income back to what it was 2 years ago.

Result is I've got a 2.5k bill.

The system they use routinely does this sort of thing and it is infuriating.
    Yep, stupid. Had a letter today saying they can’t adjust it.
    FFS, you did it yourselves that last 2 years. This year you want to do something completely different that creates more admin.
  • Pross
    Doing an interval session and uploading to Strava to find I’d missed the course record on the loop I used by 1 second. I’ve never got a crown on a running segment before. Still, I know it’s there now and have another interval session on Friday which I won’t do an hour after eating a cream tea.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    edited June 2023
    Pross said:

Doing an interval session and uploading to Strava to find I’d missed the course record on the loop I used by 1 second. I’ve never got a crown on a running segment before. Still, I know it’s there now and have another interval session on Friday which I won’t do an hour after eating a cream tea.

Dunno. Seems to me the cream tea had a positive effect. Next time, your legs will not feel the same.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Dunno. Seems to me the cream tea had a positive effect. Next time, your legs will not feel the same.
    I was pretty close to feeding the fish in the river I was running along to be honest. Clotted cream is performance enhancing but works better as a reward.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited June 2023
    Came home late last night from the holiday.

28 degrees upstairs and absolutely crawling with carpet moths.

Hundreds of them. Floor was covered - they’d all rise out of the carpet as you walked. All up the walls, over the ceiling.

Grim.

Had planned to spend the post holiday weekend prolonging it.

Instead I’ve been crawling around trying to get the vacuum into ever crevice, tonne of washing, and spraying various chemicals everywhere
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Hundreds of them. Floor was covered - they’d all rise out of the carpet as you walked. All up the walls, over the ceiling.

Grim.

Instead I’ve been crawling around trying to get the vacuum into ever crevice, tonne of washing, and spraying various chemicals everywhere

Wood flooring is the way forward. Ditch the Boomer style carpets ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Stevo_666 said:

Grim.

I had an epiphany in similar style after a holiday, but it was the dog's discarded fleas who were super-hungry that persuaded me to reduce carpet coverage. They seemed to think that my ankles were where it was at.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Please don't kid yourself that wood floors will prevent fleas or moths for that matter. Fleas can happily wait for weeks between feeds and the back of a sofa or under a bed will do. Same for moths that are happy to eat woollen clothing if carpets are unavailable. Indorex spray will deal with both.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Please don't kid yourself that wood floors will prevent fleas or moths for that matter. Fleas can happily wait for weeks between feeds and the back of a sofa or under a bed will do. Same for moths that are happy to eat woollen clothing if carpets are unavailable. Indorex spray will deal with both.

Never had them problem myself and we're pretty much carpet free :) But them again, carpets are a bit naff.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Grim.

I had an epiphany in similar style after a holiday, but it was the dog's discarded fleas who were super-hungry that persuaded me to reduce carpet coverage. They seemed to think that my ankles were where it was at.
    We have 2 dogs but never been an issue, so am assuming the wood floors and tiled floors help.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Bloody moths! Something chewed holes in the shoulders (mostly) of all my posh jumpers - merino, cashmere and lambswool stuff - hung in the wardrobe a couple of years back. Didn't see any of the critters, alive or dead. Of course, all the decent shops round here that I used to get them from have all folded, and I'm not paying the prices asked by the remainder as their quality is too variable to chance it.
  • pinno
    I think they originally emanated from his wallet.
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Never had them problem myself and we're pretty much carpet free :) But them again, carpets are a bit naff.
    Carpet moths and clothes moths are the same species. They'll turn up anywhere there's wool. If you're more of a polyester man then you'll be fine. Fleas on the other hand are very much an equal opportunities pest. Wood floors have their own selection of pests too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Grim.

We have 2 dogs but never been an issue, so am assuming the wood floors and tiled floors help.

That was in the days when the dog had (useless) flea collars. I forget the name of the drops that I subsequently used (put onto the back of his neck in two doses), but they sorted out the little blighters much better. We were both much happier as a result.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Carpet moths and clothes moths are the same species. They'll turn up anywhere there's wool. If you're more of a polyester man then you'll be fine. Fleas on the other hand are very much an equal opportunities pest. Wood floors have their own selection of pests too.
    Not much wool, but never had the problem. Maybe Rick's wallet is the source, as Pinno suggests :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    They’re coming from the attic. I can see them crawling out of the tiny gap around the edge of the hatch.

I suspect a spare piece of carpet up there is the epicentre.

I thought I’d cleared the vast majority today but as I head back upstairs tonight plenty flying around the walls again, ugh.

• briantrumpet
    'Frontline' was the name of the anti-flea drops. Brilliant stuff. Probably been banned now.
  • Pross

'Frontline' was the name of the anti-flea drops. Brilliant stuff. Probably been banned now.

No, still around but lots of imitations these days too.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

No, still around but lots of imitations these days too.
    Good. It basically turns the dog into a flea extermination magnet for weeks on end.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

They’re coming from the attic. I can see them crawling out of the tiny gap around the edge of the hatch.

I suspect a spare piece of carpet up there is the epicentre.

I thought I’d cleared the vast majority today but as I head back upstairs tonight plenty flying around the walls again, ugh.

You will need to buy moth traps and expect it take a few cycles. They are quite effective and will capture them even when you think you are moth free. You can combine this with the chemical warfare approach.
  • pinno
    edited June 2023
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

[Like]

The ultimate cure for all beasties is Wykabor. I covered PPP with it when it was stripped and then left it all sealed up for 3 days.
    Boy it stinks. I mean, it really stinks.
    Rick might not be able to live in his own house after applying it but at least he'll get ride of the moths.

Beans gets the posh spot on. It's pricey but lasts 3 months.

• rjsterry
    edited June 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Grim.

Won't make any noticeable difference: you have clothes and bedding I presume; and upholstered furniture? Keeping the dogs up to date with Frontline or other spot on treatment is the best bet.
    Pinnacle Monzonite