Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525

And to be fair to me, I do know a few bits about language acquisition and stuff. Yes, I know parenting is really really hard, not least as you have to make it up as you go along, with all the other demands on life. But the talking bit is vitally important, not just for language skills, but actually for the structure of the brain. The recent study here implicates myelin, which helps form 'super highways' in the infant brain.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/conversation-boost-childrens-brain-response-language-0214

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/15/talking-to-babies-may-help-shape-brain-structure-research-finds

You don't work 24 hours a day though. The parent that you are looking down on may have been up all night singing a complete collection of nursery rhymes and, in the brief moment that you saw them, may have realised they finally had the opportunity to call someone to sort out something that urgently needed doing.

Obviously that's not what I'm talking about.

If you read the studies, you'll see that there's documented wide divergence in the amount of conversational language children receive, and that's not down to the occasional urgent call. It's all the bits in between.
    I misunderstood this "parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram" as a fairly specific criticism rather than a comment on society as a whole.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,691

It's a simple rule but a good one. No hot fish in the office. Especially no heating fish up in the office.

Does that go for curries too?
    Given I work with quite a few Bangladeshi and Indian colleagues, I’ll not push that one too hard tbh.

There is something about that fish smell however that lingers, almost like p!ss. Awful. Hangs around all day too.
    If you ban anything hot, you solve that issue.

I'd include toast in that.

The only two functions for a toaster in the office are 1. To provide a legitimate reason to stop working for 15 minutes in the mid morning and 2. To set off a fire alarm.
  • First.Aspect

And to be fair to me, I do know a few bits about language acquisition and stuff. Yes, I know parenting is really really hard, not least as you have to make it up as you go along, with all the other demands on life. But the talking bit is vitally important, not just for language skills, but actually for the structure of the brain. The recent study here implicates myelin, which helps form 'super highways' in the infant brain.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/conversation-boost-childrens-brain-response-language-0214

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/15/talking-to-babies-may-help-shape-brain-structure-research-finds

You don't work 24 hours a day though. The parent that you are looking down on may have been up all night singing a complete collection of nursery rhymes and, in the brief moment that you saw them, may have realised they finally had the opportunity to call someone to sort out something that urgently needed doing.

If you read the studies, you'll see that there's documented wide divergence in the amount of conversational language children receive, and that's not down to the occasional urgent call. It's all the bits in between.
    I misunderstood this "parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram" as a fairly specific criticism rather than a comment on society as a whole.
    Putting two and two together, I'd venture that Brian predominantly sees parents and their children at the start and the end of a school day.

When, if not at those times, is there anything worth showing interest in?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641

It's a simple rule but a good one. No hot fish in the office. Especially no heating fish up in the office.

Does that go for curries too?
    Given I work with quite a few Bangladeshi and Indian colleagues, I’ll not push that one too hard tbh.

There is something about that fish smell however that lingers, almost like p!ss. Awful. Hangs around all day too.
    If you ban anything hot, you solve that issue.

I'd include toast in that.

The only two functions for a toaster in the office are 1. To provide a legitimate reason to stop working for 15 minutes in the mid morning and 2. To set off a fire alarm.
    I recon 70% of the office has hot lunches, so that's not gonna happen (me included).
  • TheBigBean

Putting two and two together, I'd venture that Brian predominantly sees parents and their children at the start and the end of a school day.

I don't completely understand your question, but you are probably right - parenting judgement by teachers which, of course, is very different from teaching judgement by parents.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to have. The data's there that enormous variation happens at a societal level, and when I see parents more interested in their phone than their child, it annoys me, for the reasons given.
  • First.Aspect
    edited May 2023

I don't completely understand your question, but you are probably right - parenting judgement by teachers which, of course, is very different from teaching judgement by parents.
    Just postulating that if Facebook is more co.pelling when you've got most to talk about, it could be a worrying sign.
  • briantrumpet

The world is populated by parents in all sorts of places, and I go all sorts of places too... I am let out of school from time to time. And given my interests in education, language acquisition and brain development, it's not entirely surprising that I observe stuff out in the wild.
  • First.Aspect

The world is populated by parents in all sorts of places, and I go all sorts of places too... I am let out of school from time to time. And given my interests in education, language acquisition and brain development, it's not entirely surprising that I observe stuff out in the wild.

I may have overpostulated.
  • briantrumpet

I may have overpostulated.

FWIW, there's only one pupil's parent I see fairly regularly after school. The rest of my pupils are feral.
  • First.Aspect
    This is like the Nissan Juke getting car of the year, and just encourages ugly.

• briantrumpet
    Aren't angles unnecessarily introduced points of stress/strain? Whatever reason the designer states, I'd humbly suggest it's codswallop... they've just done it to be different.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited May 2023

That dogleg top tube looks awful and must be weaker than a straight tube.
  • First.Aspect
    masjer said:

That dogleg top tube looks awful and must be weaker than a straight tube.
    Well they've made it stiffer, so you have to make it more flexible to compensate, right?

It's just the same as threaded press fit bearings.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

Aren't angles unnecessarily introduced points of stress/strain? Whatever reason the designer states, I'd humbly suggest it's codswallop... they've just done it to be different.

No doubt it'll be sold as being more compliant.
  • TheBigBean

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to have. The data's there that enormous variation happens at a societal level, and when I see parents more interested in their phone than their child, it annoys me, for the reasons given.
    I don't think you can reasonably be annoyed by single observable events even if you think society as a whole is failing. The single events may have other explanations.
  • TheBigBean
    To give another example, it is a bit like reading that the current focus on teaching phonics doesn't work that well overall, and concluding from this that all phonics in any context is bad.
  • briantrumpet

To give another example, it is a bit like reading that the current focus on teaching phonics doesn't work that well overall, and concluding from this that all phonics in any context is bad.

I didn't do that, but carry on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

I assume they gave it the award as compensation for their tester apparently crashing it at speed into a wall?
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I assume they gave it the award as compensation for their tester apparently crashing it at speed into a wall?
    But it has disc brakes.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Trying to find that viral video of some dude straightening a tacoed wheel in one go with his head is so tedious.
    Anyone have a link or know how to program AI to look for it 😜 ?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Pross said:

Did it win anything? It says 'contender' quite clearly.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Did it win anything? It says 'contender' quite clearly.
    Alright, recommended it for that reason.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    £4499 Campag wireless groupset?! wtf
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641
    I am a sucker for corporate speak, but a particular bugbear of mine is people who say "let's take that offline" in meetings, what they mean is "it's not appropriate to discuss a 1 on 1 issue in a meeting, so let's talk about it together afterwards". Doubly so when said in an actual face-to-face meeting.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Alcoholism is bad, do you get annoyed every time you see anyone drinking alcohol?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,089

Oh, while we're on the subject of mobiles, parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram. Everything that is said to that child is building its brain and its personality, and everything it says should be listened to and responded to, if they want to give its brain the best chance. Get off the fvcking phone.

As a variant, taking your children to dinner in a restaurant, parking them in front of a tablet with headphones and ignoring them for the whole meal.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Oh, while we're on the subject of mobiles, parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram. Everything that is said to that child is building its brain and its personality, and everything it says should be listened to and responded to, if they want to give its brain the best chance. Get off the fvcking phone.

As a variant, taking your children to dinner in a restaurant, parking them in front of a tablet with headphones and ignoring them for the whole meal.
    Saves £15 for the baby sitter. That's both main courses.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Didn't think you would side with Brian on his judgemental twaddle.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Can we add couples that go out for a meal together then spend the whole time looking at their phones,
    I know it's not affecting individual development, but it's definitely odd.