Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Stevo_666 said:

The rampant march of technology. My season ticket card sits in my wallet and works very well. From next season it's all going digital and the only options are Google Pay and Apple Pay. I don't have or want either. How did two companies end up controlling everything?

Sounds like an opportunity to save yourself both money and disappointment next season ;)
    I'm not going to do that, but there's a lot I don't like about football at the moment. Seemingly trivial things.
    Do tell, this is the thread for it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,528
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The rampant march of technology. My season ticket card sits in my wallet and works very well. From next season it's all going digital and the only options are Google Pay and Apple Pay. I don't have or want either. How did two companies end up controlling everything?

Sounds like an opportunity to save yourself both money and disappointment next season ;)
    I'm not going to do that, but there's a lot I don't like about football at the moment. Seemingly trivial things.
    I might get in trouble with the thread police, but 5 subs, multiple balls, time wasting and the high press would be starters.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I might get in trouble with the thread police, but 5 subs, multiple balls, time wasting and the high press would be starters.
    Definitely not Chelsea then 'cos they couldn't press a pair of trousers.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Definitely not Chelsea then 'cos they couldn't press a pair of trousers.
    It sounds like Chelsea annoy you judging by how often you mention them :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Which franchise?

You know I’m here for the train rants
    I thought train at first, but I suspect it's a football club season ticket now I've read further.
    Thankfully I know little about either.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    I hate people who use their phone to get through train and tube barriers.

I reckon 2 in 5 times it doesn’t work first time and they slow everyone up as a result.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

I hate people who use their phone to get through train and tube barriers.

I reckon 2 in 5 times it doesn’t work first time and they slow everyone up as a result.

It’s the ones who only start looking for their phone / card / ticket when they actually get to the barrier that really annoy me. They usually have cases that they use to block the barriers either side as well.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Football commentators saying a team is down to "10 men" when one of its players
    is sent off.

I wonder, if when commentating on a match between women and a team has a player sent off; would they say that the team is down to "10 women"?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    de_sisti said:

is sent off.

I wonder, if when commentating on a match between women and a team has a player sent off; would they say that the team is down to "10 women"?

Can I suggest you get a life?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    de_sisti said:

is sent off.

I'd say that they are 100% correct when commentating on Men's football.
    At a guess I'd think they would say 10 women. Maybe you are overthinking nothing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    People who limit themselves to only using 1 hand e.g. shopping at a self scan machine because they can't or won't let go of their phone which is in the other hand.
  • First.Aspect
    It annoys me that our species is called human, not hupeople or huthey.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,524
    amrushton said:

People who limit themselves to only using 1 hand e.g. shopping at a self scan machine because they can't or won't let go of their phone which is in the other hand.

Cheer yourself up that they probably do that while having sex too.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    That wearable bike parts... ahem... wear. Also, the lifespan I get out of off-the-shelf wheels for commuting in all weather.

In case you wonder, the only reason I haven't gone hand-built is that I am getting a new bike, and that it'll be disc-braked.
  • briantrumpet
    Oh, while we're on the subject of mobiles, parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram. Everything that is said to that child is building its brain and its personality, and everything it says should be listened to and responded to, if they want to give its brain the best chance. Get off the fvcking phone.
  • pinno
    drhaggis said:

That wearable bike parts... ahem... wear. Also, the lifespan I get out of off-the-shelf wheels for commuting in all weather.

In case you wonder, the only reason I haven't gone hand-built is that I am getting a new bike, and that it'll be disc-braked.

That's the thing with commuting. I've had wheels last 10 years (or at least, i've bought wheels that are at least 5 years old and had them for another 5 years).
    I was so sorry to let my DA CL35's go as they were 10 speed and couldn't be upgraded to 11 and it's far handier having both staple rides 11. One is a donor when I upgrade/replace.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Got me curious so thought I'd check. Turns out my rims are 6 years old and at last inspection had load of life left in the braking surface. Was very different when I was commuting. Discs are definitely the way to go for that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean

Oh, while we're on the subject of mobiles, parents who would rather chat to someone else or scroll through Facebook on their phone while dragging a silent child along with the other hand or pushing its pram. Everything that is said to that child is building its brain and its personality, and everything it says should be listened to and responded to, if they want to give its brain the best chance. Get off the fvcking phone.

In the nicest possible way, I'm not sure you get the whole parenting thing. You have no idea what the rest of their day was like.
  • rick_chasey
    It's a simple rule but a good one. No hot fish in the office. Especially no heating fish up in the office.
  • briantrumpet

In the nicest possible way, I'm not sure you get the whole parenting thing. You have no idea what the rest of their day was like.

That's true to a extent, except that it's my job to talk to children, and it's a privilege to be able to mould their brains by constantly nattering away to them, whether what you're saying is of any import or not.
  • briantrumpet
    And to be fair to me, I do know a few bits about language acquisition and stuff. Yes, I know parenting is really really hard, not least as you have to make it up as you go along, with all the other demands on life. But the talking bit is vitally important, not just for language skills, but actually for the structure of the brain. The recent study here implicates myelin, which helps form 'super highways' in the infant brain.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/conversation-boost-childrens-brain-response-language-0214

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/15/talking-to-babies-may-help-shape-brain-structure-research-finds
  • pinno

And to be fair to me, I do know a few bits about language acquisition and stuff. Yes, I know parenting is really really hard, not least as you have to make it up as you go along, with all the other demands on life. But the talking bit is vitally important, not just for language skills, but actually for the structure of the brain. The recent study here implicates myelin, which helps form 'super highways' in the infant brain.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/conversation-boost-childrens-brain-response-language-0214

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/15/talking-to-babies-may-help-shape-brain-structure-research-finds

On that note (pun intended), buggies face the wrong way.
  • briantrumpet

It's a simple rule but a good one. No hot fish in the office. Especially no heating fish up in the office.

Does that go for curries too?
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

When they're younger they want to see your face but when they get older they want to see what's going on.

You can still talk to them.

I'm not a big fan of the reverse facing car seats for over 2s for the same reason - my daughter since 3 can say if I've taken a wrong turning if we're doing a well trodden route - but safety innit.
  • First.Aspect

Yes. There's a pretty good argument that it should apply to any hot food.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Yes. There's a pretty good argument that it should apply to any hot food.
    Nah - if management decides that it's a good idea to have an open plan kitchen and eating area in the middle of the office, then that's just an unfortunate side effect.
  • TheBigBean

You don't work 24 hours a day though. The parent that you are looking down on may have been up all night singing a complete collection of nursery rhymes and, in the brief moment that you saw them, may have realised they finally had the opportunity to call someone to sort out something that urgently needed doing.
  • briantrumpet

You don't work 24 hours a day though. The parent that you are looking down on may have been up all night singing a complete collection of nursery rhymes and, in the brief moment that you saw them, may have realised they finally had the opportunity to call someone to sort out something that urgently needed doing.

Obviously that's not what I'm talking about.

If you read the studies, you'll see that there's documented wide divergence in the amount of conversational language children receive, and that's not down to the occasional urgent call. It's all the bits in between.
  • rick_chasey

Given I work with quite a few Bangladeshi and Indian colleagues, I’ll not push that one too hard tbh.

There is something about that fish smell however that lingers, almost like p!ss. Awful. Hangs around all day too.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

We had one that had a seat that could be fitted either way. When they were younger we had them facing us, as they got older and wanted to see more of what was going on we'd flip it round.
    A lot of people do seem content to ignore their children. I've done the parenting thing and I've seen a lot of good parents and a lot of bad parents.