Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited May 2023
    Pross said:

The BBC making a big deal of the launch of their ‘verify’ service. The day after launching they use it to verify CCTV footage suggesting the two kids who got killed on an e-bike in Cardiff were being chased by police just before hand which had been used as an excuse for rioting. Surely they should have waited for a fuller picture if they want to be giving people accurate information, especially in such a potentially volatile situation? Today more footage shows the van that was following had turned off before the incident as the kids took the bike through bollards onto a path.

I have to say it’s the weirdest story.

I feel all the reporting (from what I’ve seen) is missing something as none of it adds up.

FWIW two teenage kids on e-bikes tried to nick mine when I was on it a week or two ago. I have read elsewhere that kids who get caught up in drug gangs (who use teenagers as they’re immune from certain punishments) are big fans of the e-bikes for obvious reasons.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    masjer said:

The BBC wildlife program Spy in the Wild.

If you’ve not seen it, take an animatronics model, stick a camera where an eye would be and place it amongst the wild animals. Then, using a normal film camera for 95% of the footage, document the wild animals looking and prodding the remote controlled puppet.
    Add David Tennant’s narration, all cutesy as if talking to 5 year olds.
    Pointless.

Replace David Tenant's voiceover with Rob Hatch.

"This is it. This is the moment. This is the moment the lion strikes, he's been waiting for this for 162 kilometers.. look at that left paw, what a blow to the camera... we'll be talking about this for years to come. I don't think the hyena will ever recover... wow that was amazing and it will go down in the history books as the lion distances himself from the rest, Chapeau lion..."
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    pblakeney said:

Pointless, but your description makes me want to watch it! 🤣

Ha, Spy in the Ocean is starting soon.
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

masjer said:

If you’ve not seen it, take an animatronics model, stick a camera where an eye would be and place it amongst the wild animals. Then, using a normal film camera for 95% of the footage, document the wild animals looking and prodding the remote controlled puppet.
    Pointless.

"This is it. This is the moment. This is the moment the lion strikes, he's been waiting for this for 162 kilometers.. look at that left paw, what a blow to the camera... we'll be talking about this for years to come. I don't think the hyena will ever recover... wow that was amazing and it will go down in the history books as the lion distances himself from the rest, Chapeau lion..."
    …didn’t you say you like Kirby as a commentator?!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    pinno said:

masjer said:

Pointless.

Having been watching "Wolfpack" on Amazon this week, this has been lifted directly from the script there I think.
  • pinno

pinno said:

masjer said:

Pointless.

…didn’t you say you like Kirby as a commentator?!
    As was making the point that Masjer should be grateful it wasn't Hatch commentating.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Pross said:

The BBC making a big deal of the launch of their ‘verify’ service. The day after launching they use it to verify CCTV footage suggesting the two kids who got killed on an e-bike in Cardiff were being chased by police just before hand which had been used as an excuse for rioting. Surely they should have waited for a fuller picture if they want to be giving people accurate information, especially in such a potentially volatile situation? Today more footage shows the van that was following had turned off before the incident as the kids took the bike through bollards onto a path.

I feel all the reporting (from what I’ve seen) is missing something as none of it adds up.

FWIW two teenage kids on e-bikes tried to nick mine when I was on it a week or two ago. I have read elsewhere that kids who get caught up in drug gangs (who use teenagers as they’re immune from certain punishments) are big fans of the e-bikes for obvious reasons.

the bit that is not being clarified is how two people managed to kill themselves on an e-bike.

p1sses me off that everytime a tvvat doing tvvattish things kills themselves it is the police's fault.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Pross said:

Whilst I know you aren't a huge fan of the police this one seems to be a real example of them being in a no win situation. I suspect people would have been complaining if the kids are running amock in the area on e-bikes / scooters with the police seeming to take no action or if the police had been in the area and the kids still got themselves killed it would have been 'why didn't the police stop them when they had a chance'.

With some of the stuff I see from kids around my area on these illegal e-bikes I'm amazed there aren't more deaths. We get big issues with off-road bikes too, I was running on the canal tow path last week when 5 or 6 people on a mix of off-road motorbikes and illegal e-bikes came barging past. I've seen others doing wheelies on them through the middle of traffic on the main road through Cardiff, straight through red lights and even going against the traffic flow.

I'm sure they'll have been 'great kids', 'characters' etc. according to their mates in the area. I'll also never understand how people can start rioting within minutes of this sort of thing happening and how their apparent frustration at the actions of the police leads them to decide to smash up the property of their neighbours.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693

Pross said:

the bit that is not being clarified is how two people managed to kill themselves on an e-bike.

p1sses me off that everytime a tvvat doing tvvattish things kills themselves it is the police's fault.
    If there's a teacher and a social worker involved, it is always the latter. If it is a teacher and a policeman, always the latter. If the police and social work are involved, by default its social works faulylt.

If there's a GP and any one or more of a teacher, a policeman and a social worker involved, they can decide between the other three who is to blame, because GPs are infallible - but its always social work if they are involved.

Hope that helps to clarify the hierarchy of blame.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Yeah I didn't really understand the link (if there was one) to the almost immediate riot that apparently started?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    As demonstrated in that 'The Outlaws' documentary series in Bristol, any fule kno that a pair of teens on an e-bike doing a runner (from a no blues polis van) more than likely to be couriers for the local druggies, coz teens less likely to get banged up for being naughty.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    pangolin said:

Yeah I didn't really understand the link (if there was one) to the almost immediate riot that apparently started?

Just an excuse isn't it like pretty much every riot in the last 20 years (see the Townhill riots in Swansea a few years ago).
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited May 2023
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693
    pangolin said:

Just youthful high jinks.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah the link between kids dying in an accident whilst in some way involved with the rozzers and immediately rioting is not obvious to me.

Presumably there is a longer history here that hasn't been reported on.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Whilst I know you aren't a huge fan of the police this one seems to be a real example of them being in a no win situation. I suspect people would have been complaining if the kids are running amock in the area on e-bikes / scooters with the police seeming to take no action or if the police had been in the area and the kids still got themselves killed it would have been 'why didn't the police stop them when they had a chance'.

With some of the stuff I see from kids around my area on these illegal e-bikes I'm amazed there aren't more deaths. We get big issues with off-road bikes too, I was running on the canal tow path last week when 5 or 6 people on a mix of off-road motorbikes and illegal e-bikes came barging past. I've seen others doing wheelies on them through the middle of traffic on the main road through Cardiff, straight through red lights and even going against the traffic flow.

I'm sure they'll have been 'great kids', 'characters' etc. according to their mates in the area. I'll also never understand how people can start rioting within minutes of this sort of thing happening and how their apparent frustration at the actions of the police leads them to decide to smash up the property of their neighbours.
    I largely agree with that, I'd just add that there probably isn't much overlap in the people that would complain about kids running amok and those that were rioting. Whatever the police had done one group would be pissedoff. I'm surprised more people aren't asking why they were doing a runner from the police.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Pross said:

Pross said:

I largely agree with that, I'd just add that there probably isn't much overlap in the people that would complain about kids running amok and those that were rioting. Whatever the police had done one group would be pissedoff. I'm surprised more people aren't asking why they were doing a runner from the police.
    Because the aspiring footballers were late for training.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

Yeah the link between kids dying in an accident whilst in some way involved with the rozzers and immediately rioting is not obvious to me.

Presumably there is a longer history here that hasn't been reported on.

The area is rife with petty crime and drug dealing.

Probably just two unfortunate boys with a wannabe gangsta attitude and a small amount of weed or crack.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited May 2023
    Adverts for Flora plant butter implying that it’s better for the world than real butter when it’s made with Palm oil.
    Actually I’m not sure this is trivial.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    webboo said:

Adverts for Flora plant butter implying that it’s better for the world than real butter when it’s made with Palm oil.

Any opinions on the best non-butter butter-like spread, balancing the taste and saturated fat considerations?... seems like I need to cut back on the dairy fats...
  • webboo

webboo said:

Any opinions on the best non-butter butter-like spread, balancing the taste and saturated fat considerations?... seems like I need to cut back on the dairy fats...
    This might be out of date but it was claimed that all non dairy spread were actually plastic.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    webboo said:

webboo said:

This might be out of date but it was claimed that all non dairy spread were actually plastic.

Butter can't be beaten for flavour, and I've eaten prodigious quantities of it in the past, but needs must, sadly. Hopefully there's something out there that takes vaguely decent and doesn't poison me or the planet...

I'd decided that Flora is better than Olivio, but that's as far as I've got so far.
  • webboo
    I was a Flora light man for years 😆then I read about the plastic thing. So It’s butter and when I get the call I need to cut back. I will have a conversation with myself.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    People 'selling' stuff on Facebook Marketplace. (The inverted commas will become clear in a moment).

At present I'm looking for a folding mountain bike, I know I'm looking at cheap cr@p ones, but it doesn't matter. I just need something which i can take in the car to ride next to Mrs Slog when she's on little electric bike in country parks etc. This is because I've found my road bikes just won't do, the position at the slow speeds is a pain in the neck, literally.

Can we ignore the wisdom and lack of in the above, please? It's not relevant.

So, Facebook Marketplace. I've seen a few adverts for very cheap bikes, but when i write to the people selling them, eg.....

"I want this, can I come and look at it, please tell me when is convenient?"
    or
    "Can you tell me xyz about this please?"
    or even
    "what model is it?"
    (because, in this last instance they've taken the pic from inside a garage looking out into the sunlight with the bike in silhouette in the doorway!! FFS! )

... I don't get a reply.

I thought the whole point of putting an advert on there was to actually SELL the item.

rant over.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    capt_slog said:

People 'selling' stuff on Facebook Marketplace. (The inverted commas will become clear in a moment).

At present I'm looking for a folding mountain bike, I know I'm looking at cheap cr@p ones, but it doesn't matter. I just need something which i can take in the car to ride next to Mrs Slog when she's on little electric bike in country parks etc. This is because I've found my road bikes just won't do, the position at the slow speeds is a pain in the neck, literally.

Can we ignore the wisdom and lack of in the above, please? It's not relevant.

So, Facebook Marketplace. I've seen a few adverts for very cheap bikes, but when i write to the people selling them, eg.....

"I want this, can I come and look at it, please tell me when is convenient?"
    or
    "Can you tell me xyz about this please?"
    or even
    "what model is it?"
    (because, in this last instance they've taken the pic from inside a garage looking out into the sunlight with the bike in silhouette in the doorway!! FFS! )

... I don't get a reply.

I thought the whole point of putting an advert on there was to actually SELL the item.

rant over.

Yep, I get the same.

People who advertise furniture, with the comment “too big for our space” then fail to provide any dimensions at all. Or a single photo that gives no clue to scale whatsoever.

Describe something as “excellent condition EXCEPT for the crack/scratch/tear/missing bits”… so, not excellent at all then.

I see people advertise camera lenses with a scratched front element who claim it doesn’t affect image quality.

People advertise hifi speakers where clearly their child or pet has poked holes in the drivers, or dinged the tweeter, yet this doesn’t affect sound quality somehow.

Advertisers selling their “beloved” bike or whatever. 1. It’s a bike, not your grandmother. 2. If it’s beloved, you wouldn’t sell it for anything…

Advertisers selling a “lightly used” thing that very obviously isn’t.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • capt_slog
    Add on to the above...

When the item is just what I want but too far away to make it economically possible to collect.

• pinno
    We're on the opposite side:

Put a very good junior bed up for sale with mattress protector, mattress, pillow and loads of bed linen if they wanted it.
    It was an IKEA bed where delivery here now stands at £60. Total cost of a new bed + linen + mattress + delivery was in excess of £300. The bed was immaculate. We listed dimensions.
    A £60 initial price tag yielded nothing.
    Sold for £45 and I had to deliver and assemble it.

Now jnr bed number 2 is up for sale. We get "Is this still for sale?" and we reply in the affirmative then... nothing. Diddley squat.
    So we're sat there thinking do they want to come and see it etc etc. So you say "Do you want to come and see it?". Nothing, no reply.

It is ironic that the proliferation in media which is fundamentally a communication tool but people don't know how to communicate.
  • capt_slog
    edited May 2023
    pinno said:

It is ironic that the proliferation in media which is fundamentally a communication tool but people don't know how to communicate.

Damn right!

On one of the bike adverts I asked "Is this a folding bike, what make is it?"

Two days on I've just had a reply, "I bought it for my grandson never used from new"

Brilliant! You've managed to tell me f-all I needed to know, thanks.

The "is this still for sale" can get me going too. If you'd bother to look at the listing you'd see that it's only been there for 10 minutes!

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Shower curtains.
    Me: Turn on the water…
    Shower Curtain: Coming to wrap you up like cling film
  • pinno
    morstar said:

Shower curtains.
    Me: Turn on the water…
    Shower Curtain: Coming to wrap you up like cling film

It is so easy and not that expensive to fit a shower screen.
    Visit your local Screwfix. I installed one for less than £100.