Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694

People who think football only started in 2004.

Whereas we all know it started in 1992.
    I mean there was football before Aldershot Town were founded, but it was a very different sport.
    Before 1992 they used to kick an inflated sheep's bladder around, wearing hobnail boots.

Spurs even used to win trophies.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

de_sisti said:

de_sisti said:

Football derby games. They only mean something to the 'local' fans, who can have
    banter with each other in pubs, bars, factories, office, etc etc, when the teams play
    each other.
    Players* and managers sounding-off about the importance of derby games are just
    talking tosh.

*Mind you, I think derby games meant a lot to United-hating Mike Doyle (a mancunian) when he played for City during the 60s and 70s.

The atmosphere at the ground is different on a derby day. This then affects the players, so they learn the importance.
    I suppose the same could be said for important league or cup games?
    Not really, no. Of course there is a good atmosphere for big games, but it is not like a derby.
    A 'big game' with a good atmosphere, is the same as any old 'big game' with a good
    atmosphere, especially where virtually all players on teams have no local-connection with whom they play for.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    morstar said:

Back on topic.

People not using the football thread for football ‘bants’.

It can run for gazillions of posts.

I'm done. I can leave Pinno to stew with the thought that Arsenal threw away their best chance to win the league in ages o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,531
    de_sisti said:

de_sisti said:

de_sisti said:

Football derby games. They only mean something to the 'local' fans, who can have
    banter with each other in pubs, bars, factories, office, etc etc, when the teams play
    each other.
    Players* and managers sounding-off about the importance of derby games are just
    talking tosh.

*Mind you, I think derby games meant a lot to United-hating Mike Doyle (a mancunian) when he played for City during the 60s and 70s.

The atmosphere at the ground is different on a derby day. This then affects the players, so they learn the importance.
    I suppose the same could be said for important league or cup games?
    Not really, no. Of course there is a good atmosphere for big games, but it is not like a derby.
    A 'big game' with a good atmosphere, is the same as any old 'big game' with a good
    atmosphere, especially where virtually all players on teams have no local-connection with whom they play for.
    A derby is a big game. Clearly our experiences differ.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Football. Trivial and annoys me
  • First.Aspect
    You all do realise that talking about cycling is relatively dull as well?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,526

Good job someone had the wisdom to give it forum threads all of their own elsewhere so we can discuss riveting stuff in CS.
  • First.Aspect

Good job someone had the wisdom to give it forum threads all of their own elsewhere so we can discuss riveting stuff in CS.
    🫤
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

Yup, but it also doesn’t annoy me.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I remember that shrinkflation was mentioned on here but lately I'm getting more annoyed by substituting or changing the product so it is now too awful to buy.
    Two examples...I used to buy a chorizo ring that was sold under the supermarkets own brand and it was actually ok but they've recently changed it for one of much poorer quality so it's not worth buying anymore. I'd rather they'd increased the price.

Also own brand Jaffa cakes, they were so bad I didn't finish even two and binned the rest, terrible I admit given some peoples struggles to afford food but they were made so cheaply they were just nasty. I dread to think what the low budget 'savers' ones were like.
  • Stevo_666

:)

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    One jug is bigger than the other.
  • Stevo_666

If took a slurp out of one you could try to even up the contents.
  • briantrumpet

Maybe that was the first thought for the Father Ted explanation about cows.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I remember that shrinkflation was mentioned on here but lately I'm getting more annoyed by substituting or changing the product so it is now too awful to buy.
    Two examples...I used to buy a chorizo ring that was sold under the supermarkets own brand and it was actually ok but they've recently changed it for one of much poorer quality so it's not worth buying anymore. I'd rather they'd increased the price.

Also own brand Jaffa cakes, they were so bad I didn't finish even two and binned the rest, terrible I admit given some peoples struggles to afford food but they were made so cheaply they were just nasty. I dread to think what the low budget 'savers' ones were like.

M&S own brand jaffa cakes are better than the original version
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

That wouldn’t be too hard to achieve.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088

Are they called 'Jaffa cakes'?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    No, they are called sumptuous clementine and dark chocolate sponge treats.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

No, they are called sumptuous clementine and dark chocolate sponge treats.

Nothing to do with you, but why did I hear Nigella say that?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited May 2023
    People incredulous that raising rates because of inflation makes people poorer so they have less to spend.

As if that isn’t literally the point.
  • pblakeney

People incredulous that raising rates because of inflation makes people poorer so they have less to spend.

I still maintain that this inflation is not driven by over spending.
    Raising interest rates may give the correct result but it is the wrong tool resulting in other problems. The entire chain of supply has to be looked at, the Ukraine impact for example.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Raising interest rates may give the correct result but it is the wrong tool resulting in other problems. The entire chain of supply has to be looked at, the Ukraine impact for example.

My suspicion is that there's some blatant profiteering going on, not least in energy and food.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

When your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail
  • pblakeney
    ^^^ Those two points as well. ^^^
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    pblakeney said:

I mean, supply side reform is always welcome but where is this mythical policy that can deal with inflation immediately that doesn’t make people poorer?

See rates like chemo for cancer, where inflation is the cancer.

Also, the core inflation figures show that it is not really ukraine war stuff anymore...
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2023
    Raising interest rates will not reduce this iteration of inflation. The price of oil & gas is always an OPEC stitch-up. Ukraine was an excuse. My opinion and that only.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    pblakeney said:

Raising interest rates will not reduce this iteration of inflation. The price of oil & gas is always an OPEC stitch-up. Ukraine was an excuse. My opinion and that only.

The core inflation figures exclude energy, food, tobacco etc. Energy prices are not particularly high at the moment; it's May.

Plus, OPEC's share of global oil supply is a lot lower than it was in the 70s. They can't swing the prices as much as they used to.
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

My suspicion is that there's some blatant profiteering going on, not least in energy and food.
    Which energy firms and in what way?

And the same for food?