Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Sport commentators (mainly football) using distance as a measure of time “he was half a yard too early”.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540
    Pross said:

Sport commentators (mainly football) using distance as a measure of time “he was half a yard too early”.

Some people on the internet think this makes sense in the context of cricket. For example, if the keeper has to move back a yard, because the bowler has an extra yard of pace. I'm sceptical.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    What about measuring distance in time? I.e. light year.

It’s ultimately the same thing. Displacement against time.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    morstar said:

What about measuring distance in time? I.e. light year.

It’s ultimately the same thing. Displacement against time.

I refer the Honorable Gentleman to the answer I gave (shortly) earlier... 😉
  • Pross
    Light years make sense as it is the distance light travels in a year. Being “half a yard too soon” doesn’t. Just say “he went a fraction of a second to soon”.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Light years make sense as it is the distance light travels in a year. Being “half a yard too soon” doesn’t. Just say “he went a fraction of a second to soon”.

Good analogies are ones that people can visualise (see Feynman, yet again): if using the 'wrong' units helps the visualisation, I can't see the problem. After all, we kind of measure time in distance units on an analogue clock or stopwatch, it's just that they are circular and have different labels, but the principle is the same.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    But it's common on the continent.

How far is it?
    - About 10 minutes.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Are you lot actually arguing that Robbie Savage is aware of reletavistic effects?
  • Pross said:

maybe it is me but that makes perfect sense. I can picture the player being 18 inches ahead of where he should have been
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    My Mum (86) went to he bank to try to open a higher interest savings account. She can't do this as she doesn't have email and a mobile phone
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

My Mum (86) went to he bank to try to open a higher interest savings account. She can't do this as she doesn't have email and a mobile phone

An aspect of this gets me down too. I don't have a smartphone and so I'm excluded from all sorts of stuff.

The older I get, the better I was.

• capt_slog said:

An aspect of this gets me down too. I don't have a smartphone and so I'm excluded from all sorts of stuff.

There is a solution to this.
  • Pross

Pross said:

maybe it is me but that makes perfect sense. I can picture the player being 18 inches ahead of where he should have been
    So say he was half a yard offside
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

capt_slog said:

There is a solution to this.
    Yes, I realise that I could get one, but I'm not really that fussed as I would need specs most of the time to use one. The other problem is that my fingers rarely work on them, along with supermarket touchscreens, hand dryers and automatic doors.

The older I get, the better I was.

• If I can't see the Northern Lights.
  • Pross

If I can't see the Northern Lights.

Can't decide if it is worth a drive to a dark sky area considering the cloud level here at the moment.
  • Pross said:

Can't decide if it is worth a drive to a dark sky area considering the cloud level here at the moment.
    Yep, that would be a shame. I'm still going to try and have a look.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pah, catch an electric bus... 😜
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The buckle in my sling is broken and so I have to walk around with it bodged.
  • The buckle in my sling is broken and so I have to walk around with it bodged.

Extend that walk to the nearest pharmacy and buy a new one
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

He could catch a bus or a train. But not drive. That's not allowed.
  • rick_chasey

Tried that. Was not appropriate for a shoulder break.

Amazon to the rescue tomorrow hopefully
  • rick_chasey

Yes I’m not supposed to drive with a broken shoulder. 👍🏻
  • briantrumpet

I understand that self-driving cars are ace.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540

Hope you feel liberated.
  • rick_chasey

Hope you feel liberated.
    Can’t cycle either alas. Pretty miserable tbh.
  • briantrumpet

Hope you feel liberated.

I'd not miss driving, but not being able to cycle would do me 'ead in, so misery is an appropriate and understandable, if unfortunate, state to find yourself in.

Not much to look forward to, but how soon might you be allowed on a turbo if things go well?
  • rick_chasey

Hope you feel liberated.

I'd not miss driving, but not being able to cycle would do me 'ead in, so misery is an appropriate and understandable, if unfortunate, state to find yourself in.

Not much to look forward to, but how soon might you be allowed on a turbo if things go well?
    Yeah. I’ve passed the threshold to get free gym membership too at work so I’ll probably pick up swimming for a bit to help rehab the shoulder.

It’s annoying as it’s my main arm. Here’s hoping it doesn’t limit my shoulder movement in the future.
  • briantrumpet

Hope you feel liberated.

Yeah. I’ve passed the threshold to get free gym membership too at work so I’ll probably pick up swimming for a bit to help rehab the shoulder.

It’s annoying as it’s my main arm. Here’s hoping it doesn’t limit my shoulder movement in the future.

I'm sure you'll be a good boy and properly follow all the instructions for rehab exercises. And, quite apart from that, good luck, RC, to make up for the rotten luck in it happening in the first place. At least you're not as old as most of codgers here, so your body should be better at mending itself well.