Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• orraloon said:

Anyway, not all crypto firms are dodgy

So which one isn't dodgy?

Coinbase, it is listed on NASDAQ so has regulatory requirements which will be far superior to any due diligence that Rick's colleagues can do.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023

orraloon said:

Anyway, not all crypto firms are dodgy

So which one isn't dodgy?

Coinbase, it is listed on NASDAQ so has regulatory requirements which will be far superior to any due diligence that Rick's colleagues can do.
    Ah yes, because listed companies never fall over for fraud.

Coinbase is just an exchange. Like I said, the liquidity is provided for by patsies for scammers.
  • Pross said:

Having gone through these various books with my kids I have pondered why the classics like Robinson Crusoe, Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island have not been rewritten to make them more accessible to the modern day audience. This would involve updating the language and casual racism.

Just don’t read them and let them become a part of history. I don’t see the point in re-writing bits of books or remaking films to make them more palatable to modern sensibilities. Either let them stand or fall on their own merits or actively use them as an example of historic attitudes and why those attitudes needed to be changed.

Trying to change the past is ridiculous, far matter to use the mistakes as a warning to shape the future.
    But some of them are good stories. I am not advocating banning the originals just updating them to make them accessible to the kids of today.

The style also tends to be more waffly so I would tighten them up for the same reason.

I am sure I have read a version of Samuel Pepys Diary in modern english.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    Pross said:

Having gone through these various books with my kids I have pondered why the classics like Robinson Crusoe, Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island have not been rewritten to make them more accessible to the modern day audience. This would involve updating the language and casual racism.

Just don’t read them and let them become a part of history. I don’t see the point in re-writing bits of books or remaking films to make them more palatable to modern sensibilities. Either let them stand or fall on their own merits or actively use them as an example of historic attitudes and why those attitudes needed to be changed.

Trying to change the past is ridiculous, far matter to use the mistakes as a warning to shape the future.
    Agreed, leave them as is and let people be offended if they want to be.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Is it about offence, though? I’m not sure it necessarily is
  • It's a purely capitalist move in this case. Much like the renaming of that book by Agatha Christie or the changing of some of the Noddy books.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Pross said:

But some of them are good stories. I am not advocating banning the originals just updating them to make them accessible to the kids of today.

The style also tends to be more waffly so I would tighten them up for the same reason.

The likes of Dickens were basically the John Grisham, JK Rowling or Dan Brown of the day. The main reason they are classics as far as I can work out is from perpetual use in English Literature lessons due to the love of getting kids to work out what the language of the time meant. It is easier to read them if they are converted to modern English and they’ll be decent stories still but it loses what kept them in fashion all these years.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,102
    Pross said:

The book is the book though. Edits in discussion with the original author are fine. If you want things changed they disagree with or they are dead just write a new book. Would it be OK, for example, to get a contemporary artist to make alterations to the Mona Lisa if someone decided the original had features that were classed offensive in today’s society?

Not the same thing as the painting is a one off and by definition all printed books are copies. Absolutely fine for people to do whatever they want with a print of the Mona Lisa. Why does any art work have to be exclusively the work of a single individual? What about all the millions of translated works?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Is it about offence, though? I’m not sure it necessarily is

No. It definitely isn't. Offend as many people as you like.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pross said:

Pross said:

The likes of Dickens were basically the John Grisham, JK Rowling or Dan Brown of the day. The main reason they are classics as far as I can work out is from perpetual use in English Literature lessons due to the love of getting kids to work out what the language of the time meant. It is easier to read them if they are converted to modern English and they’ll be decent stories still but it loses what kept them in fashion all these years.
    Dickens's novels were serialised and he wrote for a living but it's a massive stretch to put him in the same league as Brown.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    I'm getting a bit annoyed by the let's abandon our cars oh not we can't thread.

More annoying is I can't stop clicking on it in the vain hope that something new might be said.
  • rick_chasey

More annoying is I can't stop clicking on it in the vain hope that something new might be said.

Unless people are gonna get over the fact I'm not gonna turn into tree-hugging hermit, it's not gonna move.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

It's a purely capitalist move in this case. Much like the renaming of that book by Agatha Christie or the changing of some of the Noddy books.

The so very twee Enid Blyton. Burn them all.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

It's a purely capitalist move in this case. Much like the renaming of that book by Agatha Christie or the changing of some of the Noddy books.

The so very twee Enid Blyton. Burn them all.
    Have had a couple of moments of on the hoof editing reading one of these to ours.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Unless people are gonna get over the fact I'm not gonna turn into tree-hugging hermit, it's not gonna move.

It's not going to move as we don't agree with you in any event ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Would it help if I just stopped posting on it and went for a drive instead?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    Stevo_666 said:

Would it help if I just stopped posting on it and went for a drive instead?
    It would certainly reduce emissions
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited February 2023
    People who post items for-sale on cycle forums with the briefest of description, no price and no photograph (of the actual items being advertised).
  • pinno
    Dan Lloyd.
    Well, his commentary (and retrospective race overlay) on the Philippe Gilbert Eurosport/GCN documentary.
    In fact, it's a pretty sh*t documentary and not befitting such a legend.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539
    The way meta is increasingly monopolising communication and no one seems to mind.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

The way meta is increasingly monopolising communication and no one seems to mind.

I mind, but after the efforts to rein in Miscrosoft's monopolistic tendencies in the late 90's, it seems most of the regulatory bodies are now relaxed about Apple, Amazon, Google, Meta etc having quasi-monopolies in their fields. The EU has made some of them slightly more uncomfortable, but nothing telling them they must be broken up.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Crunch for the general public will come if Meta go down the proposed subscription route. I think their latest steps on this are simply testing the water.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • When you lightly brush a laptop touchpad; and it registers, then does something 'random'
    😡😡😡
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • pinno

When you lightly brush a laptop touchpad; and it registers, then does something 'random'
    😡😡😡

My touchpad is switched off.
    Mouse.
  • de_sisti
    edited February 2023
    You're stood by the roadside checking-over your bike and another cyclist roadie rides past and asks if everything is ok.
    You say "yes", and the roadie continues on, as if there was no interaction.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539
    de_sisti said:

You're stood by the roadside checking-over your bike and another cyclist roadie rides past and asks if everything is ok.
    You say "no", and the roadie continues on, as if there was no interaction.

Surely would have been worse if they had stopped for a chat?
  • rick_chasey
    de_sisti said:

You say "no", and the roadie continues on, as if there was no interaction.

Oor, you ask a stricken rider if they’re ok and they give the dreaded answer “no” 😜

Hope you were ok!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    edited February 2023
    Dropped my daughter off to catch her bus back to London. Arrived a few minutes early and there were two buses (not hers) parked at the stop. I waited in the car park until her bus drove past a couple of minutes early but it didn’t bother stopping leaving her and several other passengers stranded.

We phoned Megabus customer services but took 20 minutes to get through by which time she’d got a train ticket as the next bus wouldn’t get her back in time. When they finally answered they said they wouldn’t pay for the train ticket but would send a taxi for all the passengers. Tried to explain the ticket had already been bought but they were adamant they can’t refund it. We’ll see!
  • de_sisti
    My bad. I've just edited out the error. It's the riders who ask if you're ok and you tell them you're not ok, but they just carry on riding without any intention of ever stopping to help.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    de_sisti said:

My bad. I've just edited out the error. It's the riders who ask if you're ok and you tell them you're not ok, but they just carry on riding without any intention of ever stopping to help.

Maybe needs another edit as you responded that you were okay.
    I would carry on too in that case. I'd stop if the answer is no.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.