pangolin Posts: 6,603
    Again the moped did stop in the video
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    The police were on foot.

RC you are being silly now.

The helmet comment is irritating, but then it is precisely the sort of incident that could benefit from one. But if you want irritating, when I was being wheeled into casualty, with a shattered ankle, I was asked if I was wearing a helmet. I told plod, "Yes, but I have a broken ankle."

Plod looked slightly embarrassed, to be fair.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    I was rather annoyed that a good friend went to the lengths of messaging me...

"Did I see you on Barrack Road this morning?"

"Yes, probably, at about 9.45"

"Yes. At the traffic lights. You went while the lights were red."

"Didn't you see that there are special light for cyclists there?"

"🤣"

"No, seriously, there are lights there for cyclists that change a few seconds before the main lights."

"Oh, I hadn't seen them."

So I attached a photo of the lights and suggested she notice them next time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2023

The police were on foot.

RC you are being silly now.

The helmet comment is irritating, but then it is precisely the sort of incident that could benefit from one. But if you want irritating, when I was being wheeled into casualty, with a shattered ankle, I was asked if I was wearing a helmet. I told plod, "Yes, but I have a broken ankle."

Plod looked slightly embarrassed, to be fair.

*helmets are nothing to do with the police*

The amount of times I've heard police say this to cyclists.

I'd be more sympathetic if their ability to catch criminals and bring enough evidence to charge them was at a higher rate than about 5%.

Useless sh!ts, they don't protect anyone but themselves.

Why isn't she giving the moped guy both barrels for that ridiculous manoeuvre that literally caused an accident?

I'm annoyed by this as it's so common - it's not really about this incident, it's more both the accident and the response is just so so common, and i've seen it over and over in my own experience.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    It wasn't a criminal offence. It was civil.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pinno said:

It's a literal a road traffic accident and surely there is a possible moped offence here?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

pinno said:

It's a literal a road traffic accident and surely there is a possible moped offence here?
    It's still a civil matter, not a criminal one.
    You're being extra silly now.
    No one was really hurt.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539

pinno said:

He said 'im okay' after she said something and then asked 'sure?' to confirm so it wasn't.
    Therefore, se must have initially asked if he was okay.

Yeah, the focus of the police is always on the cyclist, regardless of the incident, or what caused it. Why was she not going after the moped?

We see it over and over. On the London commute every now and then a cyclist will be killed, usually by an articulated lorry (who continue to drive down one of the major cyle "superhighways" at rushhour), and the response is always to put policemen on the junctions and tell cyclists off for even parking half a metre over the line.

It's the same logic. They are not interested in prosecuting dangerous driving when the cyclists re victims, unless it is a death or has long-term consequences, and even then, the sentencing is weak.

The attention is always exclusively on the cyclist, and never the offender.

It was the same when a moped got boxed in trying to undertake me before a load of parked cars; he under-estimated my speed and so steered into me and ripped out all the spokes in my rear wheel. He carried on, a policeman on a motorbike came up, asked why I didn't stop to let him undertake me.

FFS, I didn't even fall off, why wasn't he going after the moped? Hit and run, likely deliberately, plain and simple.

You're part of the problem here Pinno.
    I don't disagree with what you say except that cyclists are also a danger to pedestrians, so I'm all for a clamp down on all dangerous road users.
  • Does nobody watch the video before commenting?

I assume the police got out of the car with the blue flashing lights so weren't on foot, and the moped rider set off again at the same time as the cyclist so didn't need to be caught up with.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Police aren't interested in Road Crime unless they have the full film crew and are chasing hoody-clad yoofs in high speed chases around Manchester or the M6.
    People driving recklessly/on the phone/speeding/running red lights/without insurance/MOTs/excessive pollution etc etc on normal, everyday urban streets are unlikely to be caught as there are no Police patrols and if they see this going on they are unlikely to stop the perp as the paperwork is not worth the effort of the punishment they may or may not get.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Police aren't interested in Road Crime unless they have the full film crew and are chasing hoody-clad yoofs in high speed chases around Manchester or the M6.
    People driving recklessly/on the phone/speeding/running red lights/without insurance/MOTs/excessive pollution etc etc on normal, everyday urban streets are unlikely to be caught as there are no Police patrols and if they see this going on they are unlikely to stop the perp as the paperwork is not worth the effort of the punishment they may or may not get.

See this account.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,102
    edited November 2023

Yes I do expect the police to go after law breakers. Precisely.

Lol.

Sorry, I know not helpful, but I would not expect police to bother with a minor collision. Or burglary, or...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Lol.

Sorry, I know not helpful, but I would not expect police to bother with a minor collision. Or burglary, or...
    I know, it really f*cks me off.
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2023

rjsterry said:

Lol.

TBH, I'd like them to try to not recruit so many people who should never police officers first.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Lol.

TBH, I'd like them to try to not recruit so many people who should never police officers first.
    Beggars can't be choosers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    rjsterry said:

Lol.

My father-in-law got a Court summons for a minor bump with a parked car in a private car park a few months ago. He stopped and checked at the time and saw no damage then got charged with Driving Without Due Care and Attention, Failure To Report An Accident and Failing To Stop. It was all on the basis of CCTV and a single witness who had said the car involved was silver (his is black). It caused him massive stress and he didn’t want to go to Court due to health issues so accepted the charges by post but somehow the Magistrates dropped two of them and he just got points for Failing To Stop. Seemed like a ridiculous use of police time although they obviously didn’t stretch to checking if the witness statement was accurate (or if another car had hit the badly parked vehicle and caused the damage).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Annoyed or cheered me up, tough choice?

Car insurance renewal time and as per my wife's it went up £100. Here we go again, time to hit the websites. Except my renewal is the cheapest. By a long chalk.
    Big names are the worst, as an example RAC wanted to double my renewal quote.

Same day, my Green Flag is up for renewal. They actually state in their quote that as I've been with them for a while it may be worthwhile looking elsewhere.
    RAC want an additional £50 and AA want an additional £80, including discounts.

I am cheered up by getting the cheapest renewals but the experience is an eye opener on a day when it is announced that inflation is dropping.

PS:- No claims or changes in cars or circumstances.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

... when you have 18 people booked in for appointments of an afternoon and so far 5 have bothered to turn up

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    People keeping on flagging one of my runs. The pace shows as sub 4 minute miles for over 10 miles due to running on a moving ship but I’ve made that clear in the description but every time I remove the flag it gets flagged again as incorrect activity. There’s no option that is more correct than a run.

Oddly, the other two I’ve done that are very similar got flagged once but not again after I removed the flag (simply change the activity type and change it back again) but this one gets flagged again within an hour or so of me changing it.
  • rjsterry
    People on Norwegian cruises to see the aurora and fjords fretting about what some random thinks about a run they did.

I mean FFS.

😁
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

People on Norwegian cruises to see the aurora and fjords fretting about what some random thinks about a run they did.

I mean FFS.

😁

I want people impressed by my dedication! 😂
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 53
    I always found jogging on Deck 3 too much effort dodging people out for a stroll, I used to enjoy the view from the treadmills in the Gym on deck 9 especially when entering port, Dubrovnik was especially nice, but the sea has to be calm, it's very disconcerting to find yourself in mid air when running and the ship hits a trough. It's all academic now though, they've moved the treadmills and at 6'6" my head now touches the ceiling when standing never mind running.

Glad you got to see the Aurora. On our QE cruise in March 2022 we slept through it's only appearance.
  • Pross
    Yeah deck 3 was a challenge. OK for an easy jog though and I struggle on the treadmill even when calm.
  • pblakeney
    Prime Video removing the IMDB scores.
    Just means I spend more time to find out how rubbish the films are.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

When I've had Prime free or on a special rate for a month, I found out that most of the stuff there was not to my taste... tried a few things so I could switch my brain off a bit, and just got annoyed with most of it. Mind you, my taste is, I admit, pretty narrow these days... can't be doing with anything formulaic or derivative, or any fiction where I don't care for any of the characters, or nature films that anthropomorphise or use intrusive music to generate tension, or Bake-Off, Dance-Off or any other -Off type programmes.

In the days when I read The Independent (when it was good) regularly and watch TV, Tom Sutcliffe was a TV critic sans pareil, but then I realised I tended to enjoy his reviews more than watching the shows themselves. So I'm probably not cut out for a Prime subscription (or a TV licence).
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2023

pblakeney said:

So I'm probably not cut out for a Prime subscription (or a TV licence).
    Probably not. I got it for the free delivery and the video was a bonus. That bonus is diminishing, and the free part is becoming questionable with the new pricing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

So I'm probably not cut out for a Prime subscription (or a TV licence).
    Probably not. I got it for the free delivery and the video was a bonus. That bonus is diminishing, and the free part is becoming questionable with the new pricing.

Yeah, I tend to do a month, one way or another, near Christmas, to cover last-minute panics, especially if I'm in France and have forgotten someone in the UK. Poor form, but better than nothing. Given the date, I ought to keep an eye out for a special offer in the next week or so, and then I could sample the video dross before my departure.
  • rick_chasey
    Microsoft authenticator, give me strength.
  • briantrumpet

Microsoft authenticator, give me strength.

Better than texts when you've not got a signal.

I was annoyed that one account insist I used Google Authenticator (at the time). Didn't neen to use it for ages, then forgot that account was on it, so deleted it. When I went to log on to my account on the website, I discovered there was no back-up 2FA method, so had to spend a long time on the phone proving who I was and setting it up again on Microsoft Authenticator.
  • Pross
    Drivers who let HGVs pull out in front of them on 2 lane motorways / dual-carriageways.