I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    And there I was thinking I was doing ok on that front.
    You are, we need new material.
    Rollers sound like the work of the devil even without tri bars.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    This is going to mean some serious RP time, with the humiliation and ridicule that that will inevitably bring. Balls.

Do let us know when you'll be in the park.

*cackles*
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    This is going to mean some serious RP time, with the humiliation and ridicule that that will inevitably bring. Balls.

Do let us know when you'll be in the park.

*cackles*

Off. Fcuk.

Re-arrange to form a well-known phrase or saying. :evil:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    greg do you know what would make you even faster?

some zipp 808 tubs
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    greg do you know what would make you even faster?

some zipp 808 tubs

Or just being less tubs.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Aerobars + rollers = bruises and chunks out of the wall, surely.

Until you learn to ride in a straight line. Yes probably.
    :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Serious answer: are you pushing slightly too high a gear and unintentionally pulling on the bars to try and compensate?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    rjsterry wrote:
    Serious answer: are you pushing slightly too high a gear and unintentionally pulling on the bars to try and compensate?

Don't think so. It's more an issue of applying force through a relatively long lever (the aero extension). Small amount of force = movement. I just need to practice keeping my upper body more still, I think.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    are your hips rolling?

Nope, his body fat is.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    rjsterry wrote:

Don't think so. It's more an issue of applying force through a relatively long lever (the aero extension). Small amount of force = movement. I just need to practice keeping my upper body more still, I think.

That's more or less what I was getting at. Like a swan... or something. I also remember Rob Hayles saying something along the lines that one should steer primarily by shifting one's body weight, and let the bars follow.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:
    are your hips rolling?

Nope, his body fat is.

I don't have to take sh!t like that from a narrow hipped wannabe southern European waiter with a dinky little peaked cap, I'll have you know.

I have people queuing up to give me sh!t like that. Get in line!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im trying to help you...

I understand that. My outburst was not directed at you.

In answer to your question, I don't think so. In my previous incarnation as a triathlete v1.0, I had a Softride. That was pretty effective at smoothing out my pedal stroke and getting my hips and upper body quiet. Come to think of it, I managed to get that thing rolling in a straight line eventually, so it must be possible...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im trying to help you...

I understand that. My outburst was not directed at you.

In answer to your question, I don't think so. In my previous incarnation as a triathlete v1.0, I had a Softride. That was pretty effective at smoothing out my pedal stroke and getting my hips and upper body quiet. Come to think of it, I managed to get that thing rolling in a straight line eventually, so it must be possible...
    what you could do is head to hillingdon on a wednesday night (tonight and then two weeks time) to ride the 10mile TT there. Would give you a chance to play with the bike on a closed road circuit without killing yourself.

you might need to drop your saddle slightly if you're going more aero as remember you'll be pulling your upper body further forward and down so to alleviate this you could drop the saddle a cm or so to lower your centre of gravity and hopefully give yourself some more balance.

personally i found moving to a TT bike a complete doddle but then its a full TT rig not a conversion...
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Agree with spassy on this one - if anything a TT bike feels more stable for me to the point that they are a pig to corner. Dropping the saddle should help as hip rocking is probably causing some of the issue. Getting the bars adjusted right (are they completely straight or flared up at the end?) should also help.

Also assuming you don't have some crazy deep section wheel that is catching the wind?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    mrc1 wrote:
    Agree with spassy on this one - if anything a TT bike feels more stable for me to the point that they are a pig to corner. Dropping the saddle should help as hip rocking is probably causing some of the issue. Getting the bars adjusted right (are they completely straight or flared up at the end?) should also help.

I don't generally ride with a high saddle, and I've raised it no more than 1/2 a cm, which doesn't do much more than compensate for the change of seatpost angle (73-76) resulting from flipping the seatpost head.

I'll do some proper outdoor riding this w/end, and if that hasn't ironed it out I may (no promises mind) post some images for fit analysis.
    mrc1 wrote:
    Also assuming you don't have some crazy deep section wheel that is catching the wind?

Nah. Nothing going on there. Just Reynolds Assaults, a disc cover on the rear, and a semi aero frame (Bike 1) that's always been susceptible to gusting x-winds. That won't be the issue...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Pictures pictures pictures
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    1. You should have bought a proper TT bike - you were just being mean to yourself by not getting one - God is trying to tell you something by preventing you from riding your 'hybrid' properly.

2. I can do it, no complaints. Took me about an hour to master.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    tbf DDDDDDDD makes a good point.

if youve got a spare £300 you can buy a stealth frame and you've got all the other parts from your conversion.

or the exocet for £400
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    I'm genuinely baffled by the steering straight problems.

How much upper body movement do you have????

If you can ride no handed without weaving it should be identical on the TT bars.

Have you tried going from no hands to using the bars?

It literally took no effort to steer straight when I borrowed a mate's TT bars.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:

if youve got a spare £300 you can buy a stealth frame and you've got all the other parts from your conversion.

or the exocet for £400

There is (some) method in my madness. The IMC bike course is quite hilly. Estimates vary, but the lowest I've seen is approx 5000 feet of climbing over 112miles. That includes a couple of grinding 10%ers and one slope that gets steeper and steeper before cresting at 13%, all of which I know from experience are not happy places. I don't really want a 79 degree seat angle - I want the option to go onto the pursuit bars and sit right on the back of the saddle.

Otherwise the Boardman 9.8 TT frameset would have been in the bag.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    If you can ride no handed without weaving it should be identical on the TT bars.

It really, really isn't. I went through this upthread.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

Yep the old man is right its not the same, its bloody horrible and unstable
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    itboffin wrote:

Yep the old man is right its not the same, its bloody horrible and unstable

Pfft. I never had a problem. ;)

Think you both need to MTFU. :lol:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

or the exocet for £400

There is (some) method in my madness. The IMC bike course is quite hilly. Estimates vary, but the lowest I've seen is approx 5000 feet of climbing over 112miles. That includes a couple of grinding 10%ers and one slope that gets steeper and steeper before cresting at 13%, all of which I know from experience are not happy places. I don't really want a 79 degree seat angle - I want the option to go onto the pursuit bars and sit right on the back of the saddle.

then why the hell have you converted the front of your bike and not just shoved on some HED aerobars and maybe upgraded to Di2 to allow for multiple shift positions.

You sir are a nonsense (meant in the most lovely way of course)

Can we have a picture of the converted bike, not necessarily with you sitting on it
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

or the exocet for £400

then why the hell have you converted the front of your bike and not just shoved on some HED aerobars and maybe upgraded to Di2 to allow for multiple shift positions.

You sir are a nonsense (meant in the most lovely way of course)

Can we have a picture of the converted bike, not necessarily with you sitting on it

1. Because I need to run off the bike, so need a more open hip angle.
    2. Di2 is hardly an upgrade to a Campy user. How dare you, sir! How very dare you!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    1. Because I need to run off the bike, so need a more open hip angle.
    2. Di2 is hardly an upgrade to a Campy user. How dare you, sir! How very dare you!
    1. I time trial and i TT. I never had a problem running off my road bike (never done more than an olympic though). You could still have changed your seat angle without changing your front end just by adding aero bars.
    2.Well then get EPS. Or sometimes you need to realise that possibly taking a different system that actually accommodates what you want to do is a better upgrade than being stubborn and sticking with a system that isnt actually suitable for what you need.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    photo_zps8f0c797e.png

Helmet is on because I did this straight after coming home. Not because I find the turbo dangerous.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A