I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Fwiw when I broke my hip someone had to dress/undress me, put me on the sh!tter, wipe my arse and shower me for 2 weeks.

If you think your midlife crisis is bad now, wait till you literally need help sh!tting.
  • Not helping.

Power meter is now on its way to S Dakota. Should be back Tues/Wed next week. Can't run, don't have a bike, no gym, and don't want to swim in the sea.

That said, Safeway has Haagen Daaz gelato in salted caramel flavour. Om nom nom nom.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Not helping.

Power meter is now on its way to S Dakota. Should be back Tues/Wed next week. Can't run, don't have a bike, no gym, and don't want to swim in the sea.

That said, Safeway has Haagen Daaz gelato in salted caramel flavour. Om nom nom nom.

You know, I kind of had some sympathy for all your woes and rants.

Until you used the word "gelato". It's ice cream.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I thought you were insane at the beginning of all of this, none of the above has changed my mind. But, good luck with it and I hope you don't do yourself any damage.
    Oh, and I was definitely eating lots of gelati over the last few weeks. But I was in Italy so it's allowed.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Not helping.

Well try not to break yourself old man, but best of luck!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Best of luck and keep the updates coming
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    This is possibly the most detailed pre-event list of excuses I have ever seen - chapeau!

All the best and remember that the hip replacements/long term damage will pale into insignificance when you get that Ironman calf tattoo!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Not helping.

But Miss, Miss, it's this stuff: http://www.haagendazs.com/Products/Gelato/

Hadn't seen it in England.

They also had HD vanilla ice cream in a tub about a foot tall.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So how many tubs did you eat?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    msmancunia wrote:
    Not helping.

But Miss, Miss, it's this stuff: http://www.haagendazs.com/Products/Gelato/

Hadn't seen it in England.

They also had HD vanilla ice cream in a tub about a foot tall.

Ah, I see, I'll let you off then. I didn't realise it was a trade name. I thought you were just being a poser :D

So when do you fly out to Canada?
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    itboffin wrote:

Think he's got clinchers on the Cervelo still. (It's Friday, lighten up)

All the best Greg! And in your own words:

"Just rememeber. It's a race. All the way. No surrender. No prisoners. No gifts."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

Shouldn't that read "So how many tubs did you eat, tubs?"
  • tetm wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Think he's got clinchers on the Cervelo still. (It's Friday, lighten up)

All the best Greg! And in your own words:

"Just rememeber. It's a race. All the way. No surrender. No prisoners. No gifts."

You utter cunt! :mrgreen:

We're now back in Whistler. It's pissing down!

Saw the local sports doc yesterday, who's a DH mtb racer. She gave me a v sharp look when I said I had done a test mile run on the beach. Medical advice remains: do not do this race. Oh well. Didn't really expect much else. The slightly annoying thing about the advice is this: had I been fit, I would have gone into it looking to go as fast as I could. So I would have had an excuse not to enjoy it. Had I been "regular" unfit, I would have gone into it looking to complete it and enjoy myself along the way (basically once you're out of the water it's an all day buffet that is spread out over a long distance). As it is, I'm now looking to complete but with the anxiety of my left leg snapping. Lose, lose.

Sometimes being a smart Alec isn't too helpful. The doc asked me to estimate the chances that I'd be happy with the time I did this year, with a view to persuading me to defer. "About 20%", I said. "But the chances that I will be very very pissed off if I'm not on the starting line are 100%". There was a short silence, then we moved onto a different subject.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin wrote:

11. I'm trying to keep the weight down, still, see?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Hi mate.

The greatest joy of doing an ironman is eating ANYTHING you want. I'm still doing family packs of Maltesers or Minstrels daily!

How is the hip after the beach run? A mate I did Roth with rid the run/walk thing and it worked for him. He did 9 mins on and one off. Sounds like if you really want to make sure you get round then a lot of walking might be a good idea. No shame at all in that and better than your leg falling off. You won't be alone either.

Incidentally what's your number so I can stalk/track you if you decide to go ahead?
  • Race briefing completed. We start in 31.25 hours. The RD told us that the bike course was tough, the run course wasn't that easy, and that if we littered on the run there is a pretty good chance that the bears will come out to do some food shopping. Seems pretty straightforward.

My leg is still weak. If the run was a half marathon, I'd be a lot happier. But then, I suspect a lot of the other competitors would be too.

Rough estimate indicates the value of bikes in T1 overnight will be USD12-15 million. Cervelo P5 is the bike of choice. Though interestingly I'd say a lot of competitors have gone into their local LBS and bought the pre-assembled tri bike on offer: components, especially wheels, generally look lower grade than frame sets.

My bike is proudly sporting UJ stickers on each side of the disc cover. Important to fly the flag, I feel.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good luck Greg, break a leg! (only joking :lol: )
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Have a great time mate. Look forward to the picture of you riding a bear over the finish line!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Good luck Mr 66!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    You know bears always go for the weakest, stragglers (walking) etc. natural selection innit.

anyway as they say in the business "break a leg"

PS. Only HD video please, if your hands are shaking too much ask one of the medics to hold the camera.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    Good luck from a Newb... enjoyed your trials and tribulations this far...

Almost made me feel my knees weren't as bad as they are.... almost ;)

Jealous in a bizarre kinda way my MLC is sooo much less fun and interesting ;)
  • Many thanks for all the well wishes. It's been quite a journey to get here - life changing, literally. But it is also an incredibly selfish journey, and one that may yet have a nasty twist at the end. Support and encouragement means a huge, huge amount to me, and I take great heart from all of your messages. Even yours, boffo. Mostly.

If anyone wants to ratchet up the excitement after the Belgium GP, the race starts at 3pm London time. There's a live athlete tracker on the ironman.ca website. I'm bib #1879, and my training buddy John is #2052. I can't promise edge of the seat stuff, but you might be able to work out whether I've been swimming in circles or stacked it on a descent. Or am in a medical tent.

Zero running since the end of July is probably not widely advised as ideal prep for this, but given the state of my left leg, I've decided to go "all in" on a single spin of the wheel. It's largely pain free now, and has been for the last week, but how much strength there is in the bone, and how much my lack of running form will stress it further remain to be seen.

I'm also running a fundraising page for a very worthwhile cause, here. Anything you can spare would be very gratefully received.

Just under 11 hours to go. I have to get to sleep now so I can wake up at 3.45 to get 1500 calories down me. Joy.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
  • itboffin
    Well would you believe it the old git finished

Swim: 1:08:52
    Bike: 5:47:01
    Run: 4:53:47
    Overall: 12:04
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    itboffin wrote:
    Well would you believe it the old git finished

Swim: 1:08:52
    Bike: 5:47:01
    Run: 4:53:47
    Overall: 12:04

CHAPEAU!!!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Congratulations, Greg! Fantastic effort.
  • itboffin
    I expect once he's had his tattoo he'll be busy blimping out.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I expect once he's had his tattoo he'll be busy blimping out.
    I'm hoping that Tim Hortons are doing a special rance of Iron Man donuts.

Greg, I must know, what was in your special needs bag?