I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Then why the crash mat?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    photo_zps8f0c797e.png

Helmet is on because I did this straight after coming home. Not because I find the turbo dangerous.
    I can't see the image at home so I took my phone in the toilet and loaded up the image....

Hahahahahahahahaha! Well worth it, you look like a smurf with chicken legs.... so long Truth and Justice (what Greg, used to call his thighs).

PS, I've always wanted that Cervelo - in Alu....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I'm going to regret this, aren't I?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Going?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    personally i think you need to drop your saddle. need a picture with your leg at the bottom of the stroke in fairness.

BUT quick note is that your heel to toe drop is too much. and your knee angle looks too extreme
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. Because I need to run off the bike, so need a more open hip angle.
    2. Di2 is hardly an upgrade to a Campy user. How dare you, sir! How very dare you!
    1. I time trial and i TT. I never had a problem running off my road bike (never done more than an olympic though). You could still have changed your seat angle without changing your front end just by adding aero bars.
    2.Well then get EPS. Or sometimes you need to realise that possibly taking a different system that actually accommodates what you want to do is a better upgrade than being stubborn and sticking with a system that isnt actually suitable for what you need.

Am lost by point 2 - what would Di2/EPS give me in the way of multiple shift positions, and how would they help overal fit?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:
    personally i think you need to drop your saddle. need a picture with your leg at the bottom of the stroke in fairness.

BUT quick note is that your heel to toe drop is too much. and your knee angle looks too extreme

It's currently 1.5cm higher than my road position (BB to the surface of the seat where my weight is, rather than along any tube).

Toe to heel drop is just how I ride. Always have. Extreme = too straight?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    Am lost by point 2 - what would Di2/EPS give me in the way of multiple shift positions, and how would they help overal fit?
    it would allow you to use drops (and therefore STIs) and shifters on the extensions. Di2 definitely does, and i'd be surprised if EPS doesnt.

Yeah it looks like your leg at the bottom is going to be over extending. Ideally you want an angle of around 155 degrees at your knee. But i cant seem to get it measured properly on my computer :lol:

different software tells me that you are about 170 degrees. definitely bring your saddle down
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It doesn't look terrible, hard to tell with baggy clothes. Leg extension looks fine to me - possibly sit a bit further back to get your back a bit flatter?

This sort of thing is where you want to be aiming (same bike too I think?) I went quite well off this position, and it wasn't too extreme, certainly nothing compared with my TT bike position.

483120_10152138939605220_12626620_n.jpg
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Cheers. I have a short body, so there's not much to stretch out.

That photo is borderline surreal.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Have you asked to poor sod you forced to take that shot if they'd mind videoing you as well, I used that to help me adjust my own position, front, side and back.

It was on my youtube channel ...was

oh and are those legs shaved ..? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That position doesn't look too bad. The arms aren't overly stretched, and the stomach/leg angle looks open.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Well, alongside the bearded lady, the sword swallower, the conjoined twins and the dwarves (or are they elves? Who knows?), I shall be in RP tomorrow morning, field testing this set up. Probably in for a double-digit number of laps, so I won't be circulating fast.

I'll thank anyone who sees me not to giggle.

Within my earshot, at least.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What time? I may take my eldest to Roehampton Café to play "Spot the Smurf".

:mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    cjcp wrote:

I might - possibly - also be testing some costumery more apt for a tri-athlonic-type person. Which will be black.

I need to find out how comfy (or not) the pad is in this thing that looks like the bastard love child of a wrestler's leotard and a lady's swimsuit.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    cjcp wrote:

I might - possibly - also be testing some costumery more apt for a tri-athlonic-type person. Which will be black.

I need to find out how comfy (or not) the pad is in this thing that looks like the bastard love child of a wrestler's leotard and a lady's swimsuit.
    Please tell me you haven't bought one of these.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Your position actually looks pretty good to me. I do think you need to drop your saddle slightly though. I know you are reluctant but I'm sure it will help.

EDIT - actually relooking at it I think your issue might be that your weight is so far forward due to the flipped post. I know the bike is in theory designed for this but it's always going to be a compromise. How much weight are you putting through the saddle? Ie are you finding that you are hovering on it with most weight going through the bars/forearm rests?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • spasypaddy
    i actually measured the angle of the knee its too straight.

i had a fit on the 1st of may and my saddle gave me the same angle as you currently have it. we dropped it by 2cm to bring my knee angle down to around the 155 mark. It made the bike more stable and as a result faster.

Give it a go. I dare you. (not necessarily by 2cm)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

I'll bring the popcorn.

And a bucket...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Please tell me you haven't bought one of these.

Not quite.

That's not a good look though.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    mrc1 wrote:
    How much weight are you putting through the saddle?

Plenty enough to make my arse hurt. It's an Adamo, and it's not as comfortable as the Selle Italias and Spesh Toupes that have moulded my arse to their shape over the years.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    did you follow the adamo fitting instructions that tell you to drop your saddle on installation?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i actually measured the angle of the knee its too straight.

i had a fit on the 1st of may and my saddle gave me the same angle as you currently have it. we dropped it by 2cm to bring my knee angle down to around the 155 mark. It made the bike more stable and as a result faster.

Give it a go. I dare you. (not necessarily by 2cm)

I found an interesting thread on this here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... st=2936960

Rappster is Jordan Rapp, a 9h pro IMer, I think. I'm going to readjust against tonight to bring the BB to sit area distance into line with that measurement for my road set up; see where we go from there.
    spasypaddy wrote:
    did you follow the adamo fitting instructions that tell you to drop your saddle on installation?

I'm a bloke, not a girl. I don't use instructions. And I got it second hand from ebay.

My roadie position is pretty much spot on, so I'll how it goes doing what I've suggested above.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    so there we have it, the saddle is too high as when you install an adamo over a normal saddle you drop your seat down by about 1cm. without seeing it close up i cant tell if you're also sitting too far back on the saddle.
    http://www.ismseat.com/files/documents/ ... le.pdf?v=3
    http://www.ismseat.com/files/documents/ ... ctions.pdf

ive done alot of reading on these saddles as ive been tempted by them but i get on well with my arione tri 2
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Oh God,

We went to a party last night.

I've just woken up.

I'm pretty sure I'm still pissed.

Christ, I feel like sh!t on a plate.

ETA: went back to bed. Woke in the pm feeling worse. Went to RP. Felt terrible. Came home after three laps. Good news is that the bike seems to handle ok now, and isn't too difficult to control in cross winds. Corners, OTOH, are a challenge. Especially on descents.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    photo_zps8f0c797e.png

Helmet is on because I did this straight after coming home. Not because I find the turbo dangerous.

my oh my....

A chap turns his back for a year or so and look what happens....

1, you've coordinated your entire outfit to match, shorts, jersey, turbo, rear wheel, helmet. In the name of everything holy, you are deeper in the closet than Narnia's Grandma's old corset. Which incidentally you might consider using..
    2, you can't explain away wearing a helmet by saying I've just come in... Were you worried about your hair?
    3, shades..... Are they to keep road dirt out of your eyes, on the turbo?
    4, you have the nose of the saddle up your hoop. Yes you do.
    5, "open hip angle" that's right princess, no need to make this harder than you want it to

Who took this photo....?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    If only there was a similar pic but with a pointy helmet :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • T minus two weeks. I know how Jonah felt right before he was swallowed.

So, dear reader, join me for a canter through the minefield of the personally laid turds that Satan has set for me...

After my calamatous right hip injury sorted itself out in April, I started running again. Running with some cv fitness is, as I found found, actually not too hideous. Memories of school x-country runs were banished as I lapped Clapham Common's soft bridle paths interminably.

Fast forward to July. Treating the Marmotte as a training ride was a bad mistake. It's too demanding for that, and it made sure to tell me so.

The day after I trotted out for a run. The French don't seem to do footpaths. It's field, then road. So I ran on the road. For 90 mins. It all seemed ok, so I started road running when I was back in England. At the back of my mind was some medical directive about running on grass, but when things are working well, why change?

6 weeks out after my run to work I had a slightly sore left groin. That's the good one, so nothing to worry about, right? Well I did my brick session at the end of week 6 like a good soldier, and felt only a bit of groin soreness.

Week 5 run to work was less comfortable. End of week 5 brick session was aborted after 20 mins. Acute groin pain on impact. This rings a bell, I thought... (The good news is that my end of week 5 turbo sesh set a new personal record that I never plan to challenge, let alon beat: 6h 8 mins).

Week 4: I'm in to see a new consultant (old one is on hols). One MRI later and I'm being told that I have a stress reaction on the shaft of what used to be my good femur - the left one.these take 2-3 weeks to emerge, so you can really fuck them up a lot more in those 2-3 weeks. Counting back puts the guilty run as ... The post Marmotte run. Brilliant.

Lots of "you should pull out of IMC now", "I want you on crutches now", and graphic explanations of how the reaction may lead to a fracture, and the fracture may lead to one of two breaks during the run (yes, I had the "so, how much damage can I do in a single 4.5h run?" conversation. The answer is a lot, it seems. Three of her patients had managed to run their legs into breaks this year and now have new hips. Great). Any break, it seems, will require screws, nails and a large hammer to fix.

Week 3: I set off for sunny Canada. I've taken my stuff, because I want to leave any decision until the last possible moment. Which means, in reality, T2. We arrive for a single day in Whistler. Excellent oppo to get into the swim course, first thing at 7 am. I decide bed is a better option. It's that shining commitment that has got me this far.

Next day we are off to Maui for a week. This is the price the family has extracted from me for having been an exercise hermit for the last 8 months. I thought that they'd be happy to see less of me. Seems not. A quick snorkel session with the kids reminds me that I *HATE* sea water. It tastes utterly rank. Briney, in fact. Ok, so no swimming for the next week. And no running either. And no gym, so no x-training. Lots of ice cream (it's very hot here, and calcium is good for bones. I'd have thought the consultant might have mentioned that, but she didn't. Odd that) and beer. Suddenly my "fitness" seems to be slipping away during this tapering malarkey.

I've managed some bike rides out here, despite the heat. In the process I've found out (a) my power meter is bust and needs to be sent to South Dakota for a fix, (b) fixing a puncture with so much sweat teaming into your eyes that you have to keep them shut is not easy, (c) my saddle bag zip has reached the end of its life, and told me so by spewing the contents on the road, (d) my CO2 adaptor doesn't like it here so decided to fall apart mid-puncture fix, (e) Maui is windy as fuck.

So, the plan going forward? Well, I've come this far, so there is no way I'm not starting. I may try to get another MRI a day or so before the race, althogh I've been advised that even if it's all clear the bone may well still be weak - possibly too weak. I'll also be seeing a sports doc and physio out here. Despite being told in London that cycling is a risk for my new injury, I'm planning to swim and bike. When I get to T2 I'll decide what to do. If I really can't take impacts, I'm planning to pull out, grab a beer and an ice cream, park myself 4k from the end of the run and let the evidence persuade me I did the right thing. Or I may just try to walk the marathon, although boredom is a big disincentive. Or, if I can take impacts, I may try a run/walk strategy and see how far I get before it becomes a walk strategy.

Nothing in life is easy, it seems...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Chapeau,

Time away from the family reminds you how much you miss them and how much the value/miss you. Its good that they've supported you through this iteration of your 'crisis'.

You should have bought yourself a TT bike.

You can't have sex with a broken hip, or at least you won't be as good at it as you were (relative to your own performance). That would be enough for me to pull out (which in itself has its own filthy connotation).

I'm back.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    Well a man needs a hobby