I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Well, that's a bit of a setback. MRI discloses a stress fracture to the femoral neck. No running or walking long distances for a minimum of 2 months, possibly 4.

At least I'm not being put on crutches.

For now.

Feck.

Feck indeed. Hope you heal up as quickly as possible. Does that mean you are off the bike, too?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Ouch! That doesn't sound very good. I think a certain amount of denial and stubborn refusal to accept the obvious is not necessarily a bad thing. So long as you don't go too far and make things worse.
    I hope you can at least self prescribe liquid pain killers. Best you don't dance on any tables though.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    See where running gets you. Fool.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Best you don't dance on any tables though.

Losing a revenue stream as well. Gutted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Greg, this is rubbish news. Sorry to hear about this.

My training is not exactly happening formally yet. Although I've just this morning got a coach and fear my life will not be my own any more until July. Calf issue disappearing slowly and the prospect of long rides, massive turbo sessions, long boring runs and lots of early starts are looming large. What was I thinking?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    So what are we looking at here. A hip replacement?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Not off the bike, at least for now. May have to learn to unclip and put my left foot down from now on though.

No, thank feck. Although if the crack were to propagate all the way across I think then the only fix is a hip replacement. It seems to be one of those injuries that get the sports docs looking jittery, perhaps for that reason.

For now, it's trying to rest the leg and trying to keep weight off it so the fracture can mend. Once mended, it's a real "journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step" endeavour, as far as I can tell. Walking distances, then a few minutes running a day, slowly building up. With a race against the clock that ends at the end of August, time is not on my side.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Not off the bike, at least for now. May have to learn to unclip and put my left foot down from now on though.

No, thank feck. Although if the crack were to propagate all the way across I think then the only fix is a hip replacement. It seems to be one of those injuries that get the sports docs looking jittery, perhaps for that reason..

Sh*t

That was only a joke in the "Greg's really really old" genre.

Didn't think it was that serious........
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:
    See where running gets you. Fool.

But seriously, bad luck. GWS.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Get well soon G66!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ouch. Stupid running.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I can sympathise. First time I trained for the marathon I knackered my knee and had to pull out. Second time I got chronic shin splints, a baker's cyst behind my left knee and chronic atrophy of my left thigh muscle, so bad that I had one leg clearly bigger than the other for months (in fact probably permanently, if I'm honest). Running is definiteky not good for you.

On the plus side, after taking a couple of months off and resuming training about a week beforehand, I managed to get round. Oh yes, and a mate of mine ran the Edinburgh marathon with a stress fracture of the femur. SO MTFU! ;)
  • BigMat wrote:
    I can sympathise. First time I trained for the marathon I knackered my knee and had to pull out. Second time I got chronic shin splints, a baker's cyst behind my left knee and chronic atrophy of my left thigh muscle, so bad that I had one leg clearly bigger than the other for months (in fact probably permanently, if I'm honest). Running is definiteky not good for you.

On the plus side, after taking a couple of months off and resuming training about a week beforehand, I managed to get round.

"About a week"? Seriously? If so, that's quite impressive.
    BigMat wrote:
    Oh yes, and a mate of mine ran the Edinburgh marathon with a stress fracture of the femur. SO MTFU! ;)

Hmm. Was he mad keen to end up with a hip replacement?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Ooch. This running lark - god made man, who invented the wheel - legs were meant for pedalling said wheeled machine.

Triathletes are weird anyway. You'll be about the only one that can ride a bike properly though, never met one that could handle a bike correctly.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

On the plus side, after taking a couple of months off and resuming training about a week beforehand, I managed to get round.

"About a week"? Seriously? If so, that's quite impressive.
    BigMat wrote:
    Oh yes, and a mate of mine ran the Edinburgh marathon with a stress fracture of the femur. SO MTFU! ;)

Hmm. Was he mad keen to end up with a hip replacement?

I was lucky enough to have the underlying fitness from cycling so it was always a question of whether my body could stand up to the rigours of all those miles. Decided I'd be better off resting up (and cycling for fitness) and hope for the best on the day - did a ten miler the week before and went on the treadmill a few times. Also had a couple of massages and accupuncture (the Chinese masseuse insisted!) - no idea if it helped but the legs held up pretty well.

The guy with the stress fracture - I'm guessing it wasn't as bad as yours. Don't think he's run a marathon since though!
  • vermin
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    I was lucky enough to have the underlying fitness from cycling so it was always a question of whether my body could stand up to the rigours of all those miles. Decided I'd be better off resting up (and cycling for fitness) and hope for the best on the day - did a ten miler the week before and went on the treadmill a few times. Also had a couple of massages and accupuncture (the Chinese masseuse insisted!) - no idea if it helped but the legs held up pretty well.

I did London 2004 with the same preparation as you. 8 weeks off with shin splits, right up to the week before the big day. Managed to get round on base fitness from rowing, but it was not fun.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Brittle bones are quite common in people your age aren't they?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Brittle bones are quite common in people your age aren't they?

Yeah, but I'm still getting my periods, so I don't know what's going on.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg T wrote:
    No good can come of this, actually cancel that, YES crack on please, I need to laugh like a drain when you tell me you've got rat syphillis from open water swimming and exploding feet.

You broke your leg running on it . .

Oh stop, it hurts . .

I may have broken jaw grinning so much and shouting "you w@nker" at my screen . . .

You should blame your running coach . . RUNNING COACH . . .

arf arf arf
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hard luck. Although this is your body's way of telling you that Ironman is not for the sane...
  • tailwindhome
    Hard luck. Although this is your body's way of telling you that Ironman is not for the elderly...

FTFY
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hard luck. Although this is your body's way of telling you that Ironman is not for the elderly...

FTFY
    Chrissie Wellington has just retired at the grand old age of 35...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    My boss has done a couple and he's in his 40's. I'm filing Ironman in the "things to do when I'm old" category, along with safaris and golf.
  • Well, that's sort of gone better than I expected.

The consultant clocked a large white mark on my right femoral neck on the MRI which he called as a stress fracture. CT scans revealed no fracture through! The large white mark is, it seems, a stress reaction. Basically it's the thing you get right before you get the fracture.

So I've sort of dodged a bullet, in that I've caught this very early. However, I'm still under orders not to run for a min of 6-8 weeks (hmm. Which would that be, then? 6? Or 8?). Within that period I need to have three weeks of complete freedom from pain, then I can have another MRI. That may show no reduction in the stress reaction, or it may show the all clear. Either way, no green light to run until the stress reaction has completely gone.

Then it's off to a podiatrist to have my gait analysed. I'm thinking the fact that the right side of my pelvis is rotated further forward than the left might have something to do with this though...

BTW: thanks to all the well wishers. The rest of you can fcuk right off.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Then it's off to a podiatrist to have my gait analysed. I'm thinking the fact that the right side of my pelvis is rotated further forward than the left might have something to do with this though...

So basically you're blaming it on your childbirth-suitable hips?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Then it's off to a podiatrist to have my gait analysed. I'm thinking the fact that the right side of my pelvis is rotated further forward than the left might have something to do with this though...

It's either that, or all the sexy dancing I do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

It's either that, or all the sexy dancing I do.

Are your legs the same length?

I've got a 3mm difference in mine which leads to the right side of my pelvis being over rotated and that leads to scoliosis. It appears all these bones are connected; there might be a song in there somewhere.

Anyway, I blame my dad for the poor materials and my mum for the poor build quality. Can't get the staff these days.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ShandyH
    Great news on the MRI. If you're given the all clear you'll still have roughly the 30 weeks to get up to speed.

I get my first training schedule today or tomorrow and it's come just as the Christmas season kicks off with a bang. The combination sounds horrific. 2 hours in zone 2 with a killer hangover? Thanks.
  • ShandyH wrote:
    Great news on the MRI. If you're given the all clear you'll still have roughly the 30 weeks to get up to speed.

I get my first training schedule today or tomorrow and it's come just as the Christmas season kicks off with a bang. The combination sounds horrific. 2 hours in zone 2 with a killer hangover? Thanks.

Nice. How are you working out your zones? 220 minus age or a HR max test for swimming and biking? I know from Tri v 1.0 that HR max tests disclosed a different max for running and biking, and so different zones.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ShandyH
    For now the 220 minus my age will do but I suspect he'll have me doing 30mins at threshold on the turbo to come up with a proper max calculation on the bike fairly soon. Since I, like you, am so injury prone on the run, I'm not sure how that'll be worked out. Don't want to be pushing too hard, only to get an injury. Maybe a big warm up on the rowing machine and shorter burst on the treadmill. I'm not sure you need to do the HR for swimming. That's all technique work at the moment - I'm just doing drills and sets of 100m off 2 mins.