I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    So, updates.

First, the 600cal diet has had to stop. I just couldn't keep going on it. I'm now finding that I'm reinforcing all my worst snacking habits. Once I fall off this exercise regime, stand back, because I'm gonna blimp out big time.

Glad to hear this. Eat sensibly, cut the booze, train hard!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    So, updates.

First, the 600cal diet has had to stop. I just couldn't keep going on it. I'm now finding that I'm reinforcing all my worst snacking habits. Once I fall off this exercise regime, stand back, because I'm gonna blimp out big time.

Wot he sed. Booze hard, eat on the train. You'll be fine.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Yup - my sports nutritionalist has said to me I can either lose (significant) weight or increase performance - it is very hard to do both at the same time. After next week's rides, I'm cutting the calories as my focus will be weight loss.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    dhope wrote:
    So, updates.

That sounds great in principle. But, when should I eat if I don't take a train?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dhope wrote:
    So, updates.

You can booze on the train too although its prob better if you only do that on the way home, can interfere with productivity.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:
    You can booze on the train too although its prob better if you only do that on the way home, can interfere with productivity.
    What could possibly go wrong being drunk on a train...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Especially one that's final destination is either Wales or Exeter :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Especially one that's final destination is either Wales or Exeter :shock:
    Given your penchant for sheep and ponies, no downside.
  • itboffin
    That was never proven and besides it was consensual
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Turbo time today. Four hours of the IMC course on the Tacx via a GPS file of the course and the wonders of google earth. It throws up some weird little 50m long 16%ers from time to time, but is generally quite accurate. Got to 130km dead, so an average of 32.5kmh. Happy with that. Suggests a total for the bike leg of 5h30 to 5h40. Would be *very* happy with that.

Bought a wetsuit last weekend. The exertion of trying them on was such that I felt I didn't need to do any swimming last week. That's how it works, right?

And now coming to the end of week 2 of running. So far, so good. Up to now a max of 30 mins on grass. But yesterday I got clearance to up one run per week to 45/50 mins as long as I stick to grass. Woo-hoo. I can feel my readiness for 26miles coming on leaps and bounds.

Not.

There is a part of me that is already planning for next year. With a proper run in my legs. It's like childbirth, or so I imagine.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Four hours on a turbo?
    :shock:

Are you thinking about postponing to next year or doing this madness all over again?!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Doing it again, natch! Check out the bought bike bits thread for my accumulation of tri-kit. I'm even thinking of riding the Marmotte in my tri suit to p!ss Boffo off!

I'm watching a lot of The West Wing at the mo. I have to cue up two four episode discs in separate DVD players for these long sessions...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Again? Oh lord.

You should complete the look by not wearing socks and riding up ADH on the tri bars.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Doing it again, natch! Check out the bought bike bits thread for my accumulation of tri-kit. I'm even thinking of riding the Marmotte in my tri suit to p!ss Boffo off!

I'm watching a lot of The West Wing at the mo. I have to cue up two four episode discs in separate DVD players for these long sessions...

listen fatty when i own you again what are you going to blame then? solar flares ...

but 4 hours on the turbo, you need help.

that said I went to a restaurant tonight with the family and my 8 years daughter ate more than me :shock: i even couldn't finish my beer :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Again? Oh lord.

You should complete the look by not wearing socks and riding up ADH on the tri bars.

not wearing socks :twisted:
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Second weekend of long runs. 1h 30, 19km and a negative split (last weekend was 1h20, 16k and dead even split, but with some hip soreness for a few hours afterwards). Suddenly it feels like whatever I was doing wrong is not what I'm doing now. I can actually use this bloody aerobic engine I've been building, and some leg strength. Still, a full marathon is a lot, lot further to go than I'm doing now, and I don't have a lot of time to work up to those distances. Ulp.

After some outings (innings?) on the turbo, I think I have my aero position dialled in as well as it's going to get. Took the bike out for 10 mins of field testing yesterday post turbo. FECK ME! It's been a few years since I rode on aerobars, but when the feckity feck did they become so hideously unstable? I felt like one of my kids, weaving either side of a strait line, rather than riding one. Bloody hell. This is going to mean some serious RP time, with the humiliation and ridicule that that will inevitably bring. Balls.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    FECK ME! It's been a few years since I rode on aerobars, but when the feckity feck did they become so hideously unstable? I felt like one of my kids, weaving either side of a strait line, rather than riding one.

You are implying triathletes generally ride in a manner that differs from this?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Asprilla wrote:
    FECK ME! It's been a few years since I rode on aerobars, but when the feckity feck did they become so hideously unstable? I felt like one of my kids, weaving either side of a strait line, rather than riding one.

Hmm. Not sure about that. But I'd sure as hell like to ride as if I was not fresh off stabilisers.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Worth investing in rollers instead of a turbo?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Aerobars + rollers = bruises and chunks out of the wall, surely.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Asprilla wrote:

Hmm. Not sure about that. But I'd sure as hell like to ride as if I was not fresh off stabilisers.
    Isn't this one of the reasons people buy a proper TT bike?
  • itboffin
    I used my proper TT bike on the turbo whilst I recovered from a torn itb (I know) and afterwards rode it on the road about a half dozen times before deciding what a shite and unstable bike. Sold it pronto for a masshoof loss.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Aerobars + rollers = bruises and chunks out of the wall, surely.
    Whilst giving the rest of us something else to laugh at of course.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    And there I was thinking I was doing ok on that front.

You can't please all the people, all the time.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Asprilla wrote:

Isn't this one of the reasons people buy a proper TT bike?

Bike 1 has (supposedly) a geo designed to allow you to flip the seat post to give a 76degree angle. Without screwing the whole thing. And (allegedly) other people have made it work.

I'm sure it's just practice. Yes, that will be it. Practice.

(It's really really scary though)

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    itboffin wrote:
    I used my proper TT bike on the turbo whilst I recovered from a torn itb (I know) and afterwards rode it on the road about a half dozen times before deciding what a shite and unstable bike. Sold it pronto for a masshoof loss.

See, stories like that make me feel really warm inside.

Got any more?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Have you tried short tri bars, so the ends are a similar reach to the hoods? Might open the stomach/hip angle to help with breathing*. I've got some tri bars if you want to compare.

*EDIT: meant to say this as an additional benefit.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Surely if you can ride no hands you can ride with aero bars?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Surely if you can ride no hands you can ride with aero bars?

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

When I was watching my younger daughter wibble wobble around in a decidedly not-straight line, it dawned on me that when your hands are on the bars, you maintain a straight line by *pushing* with equal force on both ends of the bar.

When you ride no handed, you apply zero force. But on the aeros you have four, not two, contact points (hands + elbows/forearms x2). And it's all a bit harder to co-ordinate the right amount of pressure through those four points - not least because (as with my younger daughter), once you over push through one, you over compensate through another, and off you go. Without practising how to co-ordinate using new contact points applying just the right amount of pressure through new leverage points, it's pretty easy to wibble wobble around.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    just get out there and ride it, honestly it takes about a mile and you'll be fine.