I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Fantastic effort, chapeau!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • itboffin wrote:
    I expect once he's had his tattoo he'll be busy blimping out.
    I'm hoping that Tim Hortons are doing a special rance of Iron Man donuts.

Greg, I must know, what was in your special needs bag?

You know, the usual. A book, a bottle of red wine and a nice glass, a fold out table and chair, and a cigar.

The truth is a bit duller. A ziploc sandwich bag containing enough powder to make up another bottle, a Clif bar, and (for the run SN bag) a gilet I made from a bin bag and some duck tape, using my Assos one as a template. Once the sun goes down behind the mountains it gets cold fast, and I wasn't sure how long the run was going to take me.

You don't get the SN bags back, so it's a bad idea to put anything in them that you like.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm expecting to see your forum name restored and any criminal modifications you might have made to the Cervelo reversing pronto!

While you're at it throw away any sleeveless tops, wet suits and *shudder* speedos

PS. My blimping out is going very well indeed, already 8lbs up and the BH weekends not over yet. 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I expect once he's had his tattoo he'll be busy blimping out.
    I'm hoping that Tim Hortons are doing a special rance of Iron Man donuts.

Greg, I must know, what was in your special needs bag?

You know, the usual. A book, a bottle of red wine and a nice glass, a fold out table and chair, and a cigar.

The truth is a bit duller. A ziploc sandwich bag containing enough powder to make up another bottle, a Clif bar, and (for the run SN bag) a gilet I made from a bin bag and some duck tape, using my Assos one as a template. Once the sun goes down behind the mountains it gets cold fast, and I wasn't sure how long the run was going to take me.

You don't get the SN bags back, so it's a bad idea to put anything in them that you like.

Ah, quite a sensible choice. The only real-life Iron Man I know told me of one competitor in Iron Man South Africa whose SN bag was a complete McDonalds Big Mac meal. Which obviously was stone cold by the time he collected it.

Whatever gets you through, though, I guess.
  • Chapeau g66, an incredible achievement .

What's next?
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hat indeed!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Chapeau Greg! Glad the leg didn't give out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Congrats Greg - wear the tat with pride. And doing it for the kids too? Well done.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Only just seen this as I've had three hyperactive children visiting all day but well done! Very glad you finished :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Amazing effort mate! And now......relax.

Look forward to the catch up!

Great run. With a hip like that. Great run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stupendous effort. You beat my time as well, you git; and on a much hillier course, too. But I'm buggered if I'm going through that pain again.

How's the leg feeling?

So, you going for sub-11.30 next year...?

*plants seed, walks away* Mwahahaha :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Quads of concrete. I will line up another MRI; I think I've set the stress response back, but I don't think I've made it worse than it was. I hope.

Ball's in your court, my boy. Just remember: 6000’ of vertical on the bike course is the ante to get you in the game. Oh, and bears on the run course :twisted:

1185264_182849805230446_1082843945_n_zps775805c6.jpg

(The cyclist is leading out one of the top 5 men, but that's not really the point of the picture)

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Having bears on the course would definitely encourage me to run faster. :shock:
    Well, encourage me to run at any rate.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Excellent work, Greg. Glad the leg held up.

(I thought you weren't supposed to run away from bears...)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    You don't need to outrun the bear, just outrun the bloke next to you.
  • itboffin
    Its not bad enough there's swimming and running in this event now there's a bloke on a hybrid as well :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Did he win or what?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    well done old bean!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Great stuff Greg - no idea how you got through that.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Great work Greg. Was it as painfull as Marmotte?
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Well done Greg, amazing effort!
    Can you ask that "person" on the bike where the idea of those socks came from?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Well done Greg, amazing effort!
    Can you ask that "person" on the bike where the idea of those socks came from?

They are (apparently) quite the thing de nos jours in running, judging by the distance running event I rode past in Salisbury the other weekend. I reckon a good 60% of participants were wearing them - I guess they help stop 'calf wobble' and give a bit of compression.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Congrats Greg!

So the real question, what's next?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Congrats Greg!

So the real question, what's next?

Marathon Des Sables?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • JZed wrote:

Honestly? No. Not by a long chalk. The heat and the unrelenting nature of the climbs in the Marmotte was terrible. Although my legs felt worse during the IM run than they did at the top of the Galibier, there's more scope to back off (without the risk of toppling sideways) on the run. I can honestly say that the climb up the Alpe remains the most intense physical challenge I've faced. No doubt due to a combo of the Alpe itself, the heat, and me having ridden too hard earlier in the day. Last weekend I dosed my effort over the race duration much more efficiently, I'm pleased to say.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    Well done. Impressive.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Many thanks for all the well wishes. It's been quite a journey to get here - life changing, literally.

It's a triathlon, not the bleeding X Factor!

So............did you win?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:

Honestly? No. Not by a long chalk. The heat and the unrelenting nature of the climbs in the Marmotte was terrible. Although my legs felt worse during the IM run than they did at the top of the Galibier, there's more scope to back off (without the risk of toppling sideways) on the run. I can honestly say that the climb up the Alpe remains the most intense physical challenge I've faced. No doubt due to a combo of the Alpe itself, the heat, and me having ridden too hard earlier in the day. Last weekend I dosed my effort over the race duration much more efficiently, I'm pleased to say.

If only someone had strongly recommended a more sensible gearing set-up eh!? :roll:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:

If only someone had strongly recommended a more sensible gearing set-up eh!? :roll:
    Ahem, don't know who you mean. *whistles nonchalently*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Chapeau!