I am withdrawing from SCR (w/ HIM Mallorca 2014 Race Report)

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    ShandyH wrote:
    Greg66 Tri v2.0, I've been foolish enough to enter one as well so if you need someone to run slowly with, I'm your man. I'm really good at running slowly. I'm signed up for Roth next year. I justified buying a TT bike to my wife by telling her I needed one for an Ironman. The problem is, I then had to go and sign up to one. I even have a pointy helmet.

CJCP and IP, I'm up for longer rides. Saturday mornings suit me best at the moment and, outside November, I'll be in RP a couple of times a week as well, normally before work.

Excellent! Good to hear it. Misery loves company, and all that.

I have to admit that I am rather splendid at running slowly right now. I will be in touch.

I'd be up for some long winter Saturday rides too if you fancy.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pangolin wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    Greg66 Tri v2.0, I've been foolish enough to enter one as well so if you need someone to run slowly with, I'm your man. I'm really good at running slowly. I'm signed up for Roth next year. I justified buying a TT bike to my wife by telling her I needed one for an Ironman. The problem is, I then had to go and sign up to one. I even have a pointy helmet.

CJCP and IP, I'm up for longer rides. Saturday mornings suit me best at the moment and, outside November, I'll be in RP a couple of times a week as well, normally before work.

Excellent! Good to hear it. Misery loves company, and all that.

I have to admit that I am rather splendid at running slowly right now. I will be in touch.

I'd be up for some long winter Saturday rides too if you fancy.

I'll be neither up for Long winter rides or any slow running. Hope that helps. :D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    mrc1 wrote:
    Sounds like you need to do some work on your hip flexors. Working at a desk and cycling loads will tighten them up loads - I have the same problem. Definitely speak to a physio though as you may end up making things worse..

I'd also recommend good recovery tights to sleep in or wear under your suit at work. They made a big difference for me when training for the marathon as did cold water plunge baths after long runs..

Any particular make of recovery tights? (I really don't know how this can get any easier for GT and ITB).

ETA: just so we're talking about the same place: hands in trouser pockets*, palms flat on your legs. The problem area tracks pretty much the length of your thumb and metacarpal (right side in my case). Funnily enough one of my occasional physios diagnosed tight hip flexors a few years ago, as I was coming out of my back pain episode.

*it's like a joke that just can't stop giving...

Yep sounds right and the back problems are going to be linked as tight hip flexor will affect posture in your lumbar spine. Lots of stretching and strengthening glutes should help. Adopting a very aggressive TT position likely not so I'd consider giving Scherrit a call!

Much of a muchness on recovery tights I think. One of our guests this year had some full length sleeve type ones that he said were excellent as they stopped the Betty Swallocks problem which tights give (ITB you have plenty to work with there).
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :lol:

greg how much for a pic of you in a pair of these tights? come on college funds can be very expensive business :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    On the tights, I have a very good pair of 2XU ones and I think Compressport ones get good reviews. It's all about the squeeze between the knees.

Pangolin, cheers for the offer! I may be out this weekend but since I have no idea where I'm going I tend to do circles round and round RP. If you have better navigation skills than me, I will happily follow!
  • The bad news is that I have a sore patch at the front of my right hip/right groin, which I reckon is something to do with the right side of my pelvis being further forward than the left. One of the echoes of my back problems from years back, possibly. I am hoping my Physio can get me doing something to pull things back to balance. I do not need a chronic injury, that's for sure.

How very prescient that turned out to be.

So, I had a lighter week 2 running (20 odd km), but with the soreness increasing in intensity after each run, and moving into my groin. Last week it was becoming unacceptable, so I booked myself into the Physio for Fri am, and just for good measure did a 10k immediately before hand to get the symptoms acute (10k seems a long way, but then I remind myself that it's less than a quarter of the run distance. Like running 2.2k in preparation for a 10k). We poked and prodded, but the bottom line was that yes, my pelvis is rotated, and yes, I have a very deep groin strain (ie a good 1.5 inches below the surface, so basically impossible to manipulate directly). The rest of the day my hip felt a bit crap - stiff, sore, achy, sprained, all sorts.

Sat am I was up early and it was stiff and unpleasant to walk on. I gave it a 30 min gentle warm up before heading out for my first session with my brand new running coach. The good news was that we did very little running. It was all form drills over 20m or so. The bad news was that the drills emphasised a greater range of leg movement than I was used to. This was bad because my hip was bloody bad afterwards! But, happily, it settled down over Saturday to its usual nigglely self.

Sunday morning and I take 66 major to RP pn her new road bike. Lovely day, but too busy with cars and cyclists, and (not at all surpisingly) slower and shorter than I needed with 66 major to chaperone. Oh well. Sunday evening, and I'm itching to go for a run, even though I suspect it's a bad idea. I resolve to run fast for 30 mins - 15 mins out and 15 back. I do the drills my run coach has set me first - hmm. I can feel the hip complaining. Is this a good idea? Probably not. Should I stop? Do be so stupid.

Drills done, I set off. First thing I notice is that with a bigger range of movement allied to working my feet off the ground as quickly as possible, I'm going a lot faster than usual. But best of all, I'm not running out of puff. This is good.

15 mins, I stop and turn. As usual the hip much prefers constant movement to stopping and starting, but no surprise there. Then at 20 mins I feel a new pain, right in the groin, that I haven't felt before. I had the option then to stop and take a very short walk home via a short cut. I didn't take that option. Big mistake.

With five mins to go I can feel I'm running with a limp, but I'm determined to see whether I've run further in the second 15mins than the first, so I keep plugging away. Sure enough, I have; I stop on 30 mins and walk the 300m home. I can tell all is not well.

Within 10 mins of getting in the house I'm having trouble walking. I can't put weight on my right leg. The head of one of the quad muscles that connects to the groin feels like it is ripped to pieces. Something it spasming in my leg big time as I move. This is up there on a par with some of my worst back pain. Not good.

We all walk around the corner to the local restaurant for dinner. I can hardly make it back. I go straight to bed, and have a bad night. Monday morning - I can't walk. Well, that's not quite right - I can walk by hanging onto bannisters, dado rails, pieces of furniture. I need crutches. This is awful.

Then I read OptimisticBiker's post and get a very strong dose of Perspective.

I jack work on Monday, head to the Physio (a five minute walk that takes 24 mins, with no appreciable easing of the pain and lots of sudden intakes of breath as things go into defensive spasm once in a while). I discover that if i lock my right knee I can keep my weight on my skeleton as I walk - that makes things a bit easier. I'm moving better once she's done me over, but I ain't doing cartwheels any time soon. I hobble home, return to bed, and with no appreciable sense of irony set about mapping out my formal training plan for IMC.

I spend the day in bed. I'm still hobbling at bedtime. Today I'm still hanging onto furniture, but less so. Given a few deep breaths, I can have a go a normal walking and with practice I can carry a cup of tea at the same time.

So. One step forward, three steps back. I'm doing some stretches and exercises to try to unrotate my pelvis, and doing some right side biased ab exercises to strengthen that side of me. Years ago I had a much milder version of something not dissimilar to this which I sorted out with a postural change at work. Once I had that sorted, I was able to continue running without pressuring the afflicted area at all - ergo it healed while I carried on. I'm hoping for something similar this time. We shall see. But I have to admit that I've already started contemplating a swim-bike-jog/walk/jog/walk.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Oh my word, that does not sound good. And to think, humans are pretty much evolved for distance running. Hope it all settles down soon.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You have broken Rule 42 and are being punished accordingly. :wink:

Rule #42// A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
    If it’s preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run, it is not called a bike race, it is called duathlon or a triathlon. Neither of which is a bike race. Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture."

On a serious note - get well soon.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Running is a very bad thing. You knew this before you started, now you're being reminded. You are mad.

Hope you heal, but seriously, this is why Tri should be avoided. I'm 50% sympathetic.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Running is a very bad thing. You knew this before you started, now you're being reminded. You are mad.

Hope you heal, but seriously, this is why Tri should be avoided. I'm 50% sympathetic.

Only 50%? I would give 33% sympathy.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926

+1 ran a half marathon a couple of weeks ago. Smashed my sub-2 hour target and felt ok after it. But got up the next day and could hardly walk. Was convinced I had a stress fracture in my foot. Enforced to take a week off the bike and have a couple of physio sessions. Turns out I should be doing lots of stretching, my running style needs tweaking and my short training program of a few 5ks and a couple of 10k's at lunch time isn't the way it should be done.

So, despite running being very bad, and saying it was a one off, a colleague has run a pb of 1:28 and I only need 10-15 minutes to beat it.........
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    JZed wrote:

+1 ran a half marathon a couple of weeks ago. Smashed my sub-2 hour target and felt ok after it. But got up the next day and could hardly walk. Was convinced I had a stress fracture in my foot. Enforced to take a week off the bike and have a couple of physio sessions. Turns out I should be doing lots of stretching, my running style needs tweaking and my short training program of a few 5ks and a couple of 10k's at lunch time isn't the way it should be done.

So, despite running being very bad, and saying it was a one off, a colleague has run a pb of 1:28 and I only need 10-15 minutes to beat it.........
    Yup. Same half marathon, same time, same result a fortnight on.
    Legs were fine, but left foot still a bit sore and apparently running 6 times in 10 months isn't adequate training.

Also have a friend that does 1.30. 1.45 with no training surely means 1.30 with some...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • JZed wrote:

Strong in this one, the competitive is... :mrgreen:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Afteer 6 weeks off the bike I considered running part of the way home. I could get a lift with a colleague and run a couple of miles. I was in normal clothes and had a backpack. I got out of the car, laughed to myself and walked home. Ridiculous idea.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I'm staring down the barrel of a ballot place for that jog in April (I know, I thought they were mythical too). So far completed two 3-mile shuffles. This is not normal.

@ G66, I've heard that a liberal application of Deep Heat works wonders for groin injuries.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Semi-serious suggestion: anyone tried Nordic walking? You do look a little peculiar, but it's a lot lower impact than running, and burns through a surprising amount of energy, so might be good for improving general fitness without aggravating injuries*. My brother, who has partaken of the odd triathlon and finished none-too-shabbily has got into this quite a bit and often sets off into the Peak District with his sticks - he's quite difficult to keep up with.

*Disclaimer: this might be a bad idea for reasons I am not aware of. It's just an uneducated suggestion.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The bad news is that I have a sore patch at the front of my right hip/right groin, which I reckon is something to do with the right side of my pelvis being further forward than the left. One of the echoes of my back problems from years back, possibly. I am hoping my Physio can get me doing something to pull things back to balance. I do not need a chronic injury, that's for sure.

How very prescient that turned out to be.

[Greg wrote] ...Extreme pain.... turns into 'even more Extreme Pain'. [/Greg wrote]

You do know this is all because you decided not to buy a special TT bike for this.

A new TT bike would mean that you would have to practice a new riding position. Knowing your OCD you would somehow get it so that the position would rotate and take pressure off your hip. You probably would have never felt the pain you have done.

A new bike Greg, get a new bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    and yes, I have a very deep groin strain (ie a good 1.5 inches below the surface, so basically impossible to manipulate directly).

Well yes

Externally

I suggest you pop round and I'll give you a deep tissue massage you'll never forget...

Wear your sleeveless top - it will get me in the mood
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ShandyH
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that v2. How long to recovery? This running lark is dangerous. I'm nursing a problem with my Soleus as well which, guess what..... is also caused indirectly by a rotated pelvis. And I've barely been running. On the plus side, the swimming's going well and I'm just about to ramp up the cycling. Next step is to beat JZed on the lunchtime runs. Should be simple really! Burger loving maniac.
  • itboffin
    Have I told thee recently GregT how much I love thee?

G66 stop bitching MTFU and can I have your bikes which clearly you won't be using or needing anymore, splitter
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    ShandyH wrote:
    Next step is to beat JZed on the lunchtime runs. Should be simple really! Burger loving maniac.

Good luck with that.
  • itboffin
    Running? Wtf ...ghey both of you
  • ShandyH
    Couple of months and you're toast. I'll feed you cake, doughnuts and biscuits.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    just saw a link to this on BB and it reminded me of this thread.
    Will G66 be doing the silly walk like these ladies if he gets to the end?
    If you laugh you're a bad person. I'm a bad person.
  • ShandyH wrote:
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that v2. How long to recovery? This running lark is dangerous. I'm nursing a problem with my Soleus as well which, guess what..... is also caused indirectly by a rotated pelvis. And I've barely been running. On the plus side, the swimming's going well and I'm just about to ramp up the cycling. Next step is to beat JZed on the lunchtime runs. Should be simple really! Burger loving maniac.

Small world!

This week has been a bit of a roller coaster. Unable to walk on Monday, barely able on Tuesday, riding a bike on Thursday and now sore again this morning. I can feel my SI joint clicking this morning, and I woke up with groin soreness and spotted immediately that my pelvis had slipped back a bit. As I see it, I have a skeletal movement/displacement somewhere that places a lot of stress on the head of a groin muscle. When that movement gets sorted, I get a dull ache right on the front of the hip joint. Somehow I need to find a happy medium.

I'll pm you a link to some exercises I've been doing which have helped the pelvis...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    28909962.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Well, that's a bit of a setback. MRI discloses a stress fracture to the femoral neck. No running or walking long distances for a minimum of 2 months, possibly 4.

At least I'm not being put on crutches.

For now.

Feck.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ouch. Heal up well.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Well, that's a bit of a setback. MRI discloses a stress fracture to the femoral neck. No running or walking long distances for a minimum of 2 months, possibly 4.

At least I'm not being put on crutches.

For now.

Feck.

Ouch. Retiring?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1 wrote:
    Retiring?

Not yet, but I am concerned that in not facing up to that being the obvious and only option, I'm being King Canute.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A