Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

leythervegas
leythervegas Posts: 191
edited November 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Show us your c456's and let us know what you've learnt from your builds and what you'd recommend to other people considering their own.

I'll start off with mine.

80E0C377-B711-4B98-9237-B12D6FEF2A20-15421-000009F0C564905B.jpg[/img]

I went for 120mm Recon TK gold forks as i use it mostly for xc riding witht he occasional trail centre/delamere day out.
Also -

- Easton Vice 710 bars
- Onone adaptable max wheels
- 1x9 Sram X9 gearing and cranks
- Race face front ring
- Avid Juicy 3 brakes
- Ritchet WCS post
- Onone bignose saddle
- Oneone ultralight 50mm stem
- Lizard skin peaty lock ons
- Nukeproof electron pedals
- Currently running on Conti x king 2.4 tyres but trying some conti supersonic speed king 2.1s tomorrow to help with my daily commute

I've been really happy with it so far. Very impressed and surprised with the general feel of the frame on bumpy ground after reading the infamous magazine review a couple of moths ago that had a bit of a go at the off road feel of the frame. I think Ive got a bit of a hotch potch setup that is split between more serious riding and general xc. I'd welcome advice on getting the weight down (which should be around 25lb when I change the tyres) from anyone unless thats already a good weight? I'm not sure what is but it certainly feels light enough.
-

Comments

• What a brilliant idea you had in starting this thread, just what I've been looking for as I'm dead set on a carbon 456 build, and need as much advice and words of experience as I can get.

Leythervegas - really like your build. Why do you think it's a hotch potch? As long as it suits your needs eh!
    Although I'll be going with black forks, your Recons in white are a neat contrast, and how have you found the smoothie mixer headset?

2.4's must be a tad slow and heavy so I reckon you'll notice the difference against your new ones.
    Have you done much in terms of frame protection - heli tape etc?
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Cheers Paul, just hope a few more go along with the idea! I'm no bike expert so I'm hoping to pick up some good tips from the experts, there seems to be quite a few c456 owners on here so should be good.

I suppose the hitch pitch thing is because the frame is designed for serious singletrack riders and I've stuck some 120 forks on it. (Although they do come in between the 4 and 5 of the 456) I think my bars are for downhillers but they don't seem too heavy, woul d like some carbon bars or at least a lighter xc style set.

Yes I have heli taped it quite a lot. I've put a rage patch underneath the bottom bracket going up my frame to help stop stone chipping and then the usual cable rub areas.

Have you got your frame yet?
  • Oh yes, the headset is great so far although ive read they aren't the toughest headsets out there, I just ordered it when I ordered my frame. I will upgrade it when it dies.
  • This is my old 456. it has now gone to a new home, but I can say it was one of the best HT I have ever owned, I may even consider buying another frame in time.

dscf1037e.jpg

Frame: On-One Carbon 456 (Gloss Black) (16")

Forks: RockShox Revelation RLT Dual Air 150mm Suspension Fork

Chainset: Shimano M660 10-speed SLX Chainset HollowTech II

Cassette: Shimano XT M771 10 Speed Cassette

Front Mech: Shimano SLX 10-Speed Front Mech

Chain: Shimano XT HG94 10-Speed Chain

Shifters: Shimano SLX M660 10-Speed Shifters

Rear Mech: Shimano SLX 10-Speed Rear Mech (Shadow)

Front Brake: Avid ELiXIR 5 Disc Brake (185mm Rotor)

Rear Brake: Avid ELiXIR 5 Disc Brake (160mm Rotor)

Headset: On-One Smoothie Mixer Tapered Headset

Handle Bars: RaceFace deus riser (Gold)

Grips: Superstart lock-on's (Black with gold lock-ons)

Seatpost: On-One Twelfty MTB Seatpost (Black)

Seat-Post Clamp: Hope (Gold)

Saddle: On-One Inbred Saddle

Pedals: Superstar Nano's Gold

Skerwers: Hope Skewers (Gold)

Wheelset: Mavic XM719 on HOPE Pro 2 EVO Hubs (Gold)
  • That's a beauty toastedone. Love the spec, very nice. What's that frame wrap for chain that you used? Is it instead of a chain stay protector?
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    P1010267.jpg

P1010268.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010270.jpg

Without listing all the stuff mainly, Hope Pro hubs with Arch Ex rims, RockShox Revelation RLT Dual Air 150mm Suspension Fork, SLX brakes, Ragley Carbon Bars, Superstar Nano pedals, generally XT/SLX drivetrain stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Leythervegas - No frame yet. I missed out when they were discounted and it'll not go down well with the missus if I spend too much on what i've said to her is a simple frame swap on a budget. Hopefully before christmas though.

Lighter bars would be good but i'd say only get carbon if you find a cheap deal. In terms of the forks, if it works for you and you can still take on the technical trails, why change! Unless you can trade up and get a plusher/longer travel set for a small outlay, i'd keep the recons.

Whats a rage patch?

• booyaka wrote:
    P1010267.jpg

P1010268.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010270.jpg

Without listing all the stuff mainly, Hope Pro hubs with Arch Ex rims, RockShox Revelation RLT Dual Air 150mm Suspension Fork, SLX brakes, Ragley Carbon Bars, Superstar Nano pedals, generally XT/SLX drivetrain stuff.

Very nice - love the red on black look. And the kit spec is great -

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    booyaka wrote:
    P1010267.jpg

P1010268.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010270.jpg

Where the hell did you get green Schwalbe nobby nics?! I needs those!!! :twisted:
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Felt tip pen i bet.
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    lawman wrote:

Where the hell did you get green Schwalbe nobby nics?! I needs those!!! :twisted:

On-one website - about 1 year ago.
  • lawman
    booyaka wrote:
    lawman wrote:

On-one website - about 1 year ago.

Ahhh man, shame they dont have anymore!!
  • edoc
    edoc Posts: 44
    Spec :
    18" Raw unfinished
    1x9
    DT Swiss EXM 150 LCII 15mm
    Hope Pro2 15mm Fr, 10mm bolt up Rr.
    DT Swiss EX500's w Conti Vertical 2.3
    Hope M4/X2 Fr/Rr Tech Levers, braided hoses
    Hope Floating Rotors 203/183 Fr/Rr
    Hope BB
    Hope Pick n Mix Headset
    Race Face Atlas Cranks
    NC17 Sud Pin III pedals
    E13 40t Guide Ring
    Straitline Silent Guide
    Azonic Beretta Stem
    Easton Monkey Bars 685mm
    Deity Components Enoki Flanged Lock On Grips
    Control Tech Post
    Ragley Cheeky Saddle
    LX Rear Mech
    Ancient XT Shifter Ghetto mounted on Hope Matchmaker
    11-32 Sram Cassette
    Superstar H/set Spacers
    Azonic QR seat clamp
    KCNC Chainring Bolts.

DSC_0844-1.jpg
    DSC_0839-1.jpg
    DSC_0838.jpg
    DSC_0834.jpg
    DSC_0846.jpg
    DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_0842.jpg

I'm really happy with the bike but do wish they made it in 17"..
    Its not the lightest build but it was never intended to be.
    It Climbs well . well well enough for me ..1x9 and gravity inspired :wink:
    Excellent on the downs and surprisingly comfortable through the rocky sections like Cain n Abel on the MBR
    Not the prettiest of frames they say , but I'm definitely a function over form guy and for the money you really cant beat it .
  • That's such a good looking bike edoc, can't fault it in any way. Nearly went for green bling myself but I bottled it. How you finding the 1x9? I've not done a trail centre with mine yet but got a trip to whinlatter coming up.
  • edoc
    edoc Posts: 44
    That's such a good looking bike edoc, can't fault it in any way. Nearly went for green bling myself but I bottled it. How you finding the 1x9? I've not done a trail centre with mine yet but got a trip to whinlatter coming up.

Cheers !
    1x9 suits me fine..i'm not one for spinning the granny ring :wink: have had to push up at times on the trails but i'll put that mainly down to fitness having been off the bike until i recently finished this one.
    Would like to go 1x10 but first n foremost to run a clutch mech rather than gain a gear .
  • lawman
    Green is THE bling colour!! 8) Does look great, though getting matching greens is hard, as I've found out on both bikes :lol:
  • b32b6e2bd88001311c7c0c2c50f653e0.jpg[/img]

Just fitted graphite rocket rons. They are unbelievably light, took a full pound off my weight, just 24.6 now.

Bloody snapped my rear QR handle though. Anyone have a spare that will fit that I could buy? If not does anyone know what size I need?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Are they 100mm forks? I was thinking about getting a 456 but to run with my 100mm Rebas. If so how does it ride?
  • They are 120mm recon tk gold. I've found them just right for the riding that I do. Reckon 100mm will work too as thats about 4" so they are within the 4, 5 and 6 of what the frames designed for.
  • MrPhil
    MrPhil Posts: 57
    Here's my Carbon 456

2012-06-30203337.jpg

2012-08-16175103.jpg

2012-08-11112305.jpg

Sorry looking picture with a flat tyre, was unable to change it as I had cracked my elbow and decided to faceplant the floor at the last Brownbacks race (very silly thing to do)

20121021_142307.jpg

On One Carbon 456 18"
    Rock Shox Sector RL (think they are RL forget now)
    Hope rear hub, 15mm front hub
    Mavic Rims
    Ltd Edition Hope V2 Brakes & 203/183 floating rotors
    Slx Cranks
    Hope Ceramic Bottom Bracket
    Sram X0 rear mech
    Shimano Xt front mech
    Sram X5 shifter
    Various tyres to suit all kinds of riding (completed the Liverpool/Chester/Liver pool 90 mile challange on slicks)
    SGD Seat

Few things have changed since that photo including the rims, mainly due to breaking them....

2012-07-28134459.jpg

Things I have found out about the C456, do not use Bottom Bracket mounting front mechs, 36 tooth front ring on a twin set up is what you can get away with as the 38 is a little to close to the frame.

Some nice bikes on this thread.
  • Cracking looking C456 MrPhil. And great advice on the front mech and chain ring selections. Starting to really like the green decal versions. Also, with the state of your rear wheel, what a great advert for the robustness of On Ones carbon frame.

What length are your Sektors? Would you recommend them?

Paul

• MrPhil
    Thanks Paul, does the daily 15 mile commute, weekend rides to Llandegla, Coed Y Brenin, Lee/Cragg Quarry, Marin & Penmachno (rode both in a day, tiring stuff)

150mm, 15mm bolt through, like them to be honest settings work well. Got a healthy discount from Chain reaction (£275) reduced from £425
  • MrPhil wrote:
    Thanks Paul, does the daily 15 mile commute, weekend rides to Llandegla, Coed Y Brenin, Lee/Cragg Quarry, Marin & Penmachno (rode both in a day, tiring stuff)

150mm, 15mm bolt through, like them to be honest settings work well. Got a healthy discount from Chain reaction (£275) reduced from £425

Good stuff and a good bargain.

Both in a day? Blimey, I'm tired just thinking about it - fun though I bet.

• MrPhil
    Was a lucky purchase to be honest, ran them on my old frame for a month.

Both in a day isn't really that hard, tiring yes.

Really liked Penmachno for the lines, disliked the random rocks in grass on the edge of the trail. Damn fat foot hit them many a time.

Marin was nice as I like the challange of the hills.

Main thing to remember is eat well prior to riding and refresh well during the ride.

Done this on my bill.....

http://app.strava.com/activities/23579878

Now this was a tough ride.
  • Long ride that one - great achievement.

• JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I'm looking at getting a c456, but it'll be use in many places, from road to some downhill to xc to sand etc. so I'm intending to go a 3 cassette on the front.... Is this too big? As some were saying a 38 is close to the frame, this'd be 44.
    Some may say it is un-needed but it's what I'm looking for, issue being now, is it too large?
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Too much stealth 456 action in this thread. How about the in your face option:

7434497640_cd93754801_z.jpg
    IMG_3258 by chrisga, on Flickr

7079799749_0f661dd1ec_z.jpg
    IMG_2168 by chrisga, on Flickr

7079794747_a35723a1b2_z.jpg
    IMG_2166 by chrisga, on Flickr

Now my build really is a "whats left in your garage" special. Its ended up slightly different from those pictures:

Frame : 456 18" carbon with smoothie headset
    Forks : Pace RC something or others - 150mm travel, pretty light with lockout 15mm axle
    Wheels : Front Alex rim on novatec hub, Rear On-One Max wheel with Gold hub and nipples
    Seatpost : Ritchey
    Seat : Old school proper flite ti
    Gears: SRAM X9 mechs X7 shifters
    Chainset : FSA Comet double
    Cassette : SRAM PG 980
    Tyres : Specialized Enduro 2.4 Front (which is awesome), Specialized Fast Trak 2.1 Rear (which is awful)
    Bars : FSA carbon DH (really wide)
    Stem : Truvativ 80mm stem
    Pedals : Shimano SPD's - whatever the £20 ones are. In black of course.

Overall I love it. Things to watch out for are the frame clearance is very tight with a double chainset with 27/42 rings.
    If you get the rear caliper that goes inside the stays like mine, check your caliper clearance. I'm having to run a 160mm disc when on my other bike I use a 180mm, purely because the caliper clashes with the seatstay with the larger disc. There's two sets of rear brake cable tab things. One on the chainstay and one on the seat stay which looks a bit odd as obviously you only use one at a time.

Other than that I have had fantastic customer service from On-one and i absolutely love my bike, even if it is made up mainly from leftovers!
  • JMcP92 wrote:
    I'm looking at getting a c456, but it'll be use in many places, from road to some downhill to xc to sand etc. so I'm intending to go a 3 cassette on the front.... Is this too big? As some were saying a 38 is close to the frame, this'd be 44.
    Some may say it is un-needed but it's what I'm looking for, issue being now, is it too large?

People run single ring, double is popular, but I've seen plenty with triples and not heard much negativity. I would think you'll be fine but you may hear differently. If in doubt? Call On One.
    I'll be running a triple when I get my C456 frame.

Paul