Vuelta Stage 17 **Spoiler**

Comments

• Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Although you have to roll the eyes, that was a fun stage to watch.
  • Crozza wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    If you doubt Alberto here you have to doubt Farah and Murray as well. They paticipate in sports that are twice as dirty as cycling
    I don't suppose anyone thinks athletics or tennis are clean, but where is the evidence that they are twice as dirty as cycling?

the only tennis bust I can remember is some guy busted for cocaine after snogging a random bird in a Miami nightclub - that's pretty dirty :)

Didn't Rusedski get done for having some anabolic in his sample... Blamed it on an open jar of supplements in the middle of the changies that everyone was just dipping into. Strictliabilityamendous!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If you don't like watching Contador and Valverde race, go watch the memorial van steenbergen which happened today.

Stop whining. No-one likes a monalisa.gif

my personal opinion of course...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I'd be the first to say that I am no Contador fan but both he and Valverde are in the race having served their time (sort of).

If people were happy enough to take the position before today at face value then I dont think today is evidence in any way that Contador pulled some sort of rest day stunt.

When Contador was up to two minutes in front I must admit I was having difficulty in believing it but Valverde pulled him back strongly at the end and at one point it looked like he was going to catch him. Before the rest day the performances of Valverde, Contador and Rodriguez were pretty similar. This surely has to be more a case of Rodriguez having a bad day than anything else.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    Still, the rest day seemed to be just the shot in the arm Bertie's form needed.

Very subtle...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Tennis is pretty bad I think. Agassi confessed to failing a dope test for recreational drugs but the ATP just swept it under the carpet, only came out in his autobiog. Nadal and Djoko have regularly looked "superhuman" in recent years and some of the press commenst after this year's Australian Open were a bit "nudge nudge, wink wink" saying they were playing as though they'd been bitten by radioactive spiders etc etc. Athletics obviously has its own history. Not sure there's any "evidence" as such against Murray / Farah though. Rightly or wrongly I've always had Murray alongside Federer in the "probably clean" camp, just seems more prone to running out of steam than the other two. Farah does seem a bit more suspect, what with the moving to train in US, suddenly improving his performances and beating the Africans at their own game BUT I don't like to assume the worst of people (same reason I had been hoping J-Rod might hold on for the Vuelta win).
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    smithy21 wrote:
    This surely has to be more a case of Rodriguez having a bad day than anything else.

Rodriguez along with everyone else (except Bertie and Valverde). Check out the time gaps...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    On the other hand, lots of love here for images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyKZg30YFEsg3MjdrE7orMvuxFRFOG03CA1i7JA8mDNISXcdRWoQ
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    On the other hand, lots of love here for images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyKZg30YFEsg3MjdrE7orMvuxFRFOG03CA1i7JA8mDNISXcdRWoQ

Like I said, you'd be better off watching the memorial van steenbergen.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    What a class act, Purito, this interview is class. No excuses. I like it a lot.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • smithy21
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    This surely has to be more a case of Rodriguez having a bad day than anything else.

Rodriguez along with everyone else (except Bertie and Valverde). Check out the time gaps...

What? 5 secs to Henao??

OR do you mean the overall now? The overall looks bloody ridiculous admittedly.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    If you don't like watching Contador and Valverde race, go watch the memorial van steenbergen which happened today.

I might just do that. Meantime, feel free to stick that thing on top of your shoulders into this bucket_o_sand.jpg whilst wearing these rose-tinted-glasses.jpg
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Not quite sure what Cyclingnews are trying to imply....
    A bizarre day as Alberto Contador manages a remarkable transformation of his fortunes at the Vuelta a España to move into red, one month after completing his doping suspension. At 32 years of age and in his first season back after a two year ban, Alejandro Valverde rolls back the years with a startling showing on the shallow final climb to the line to move up to second place overall. Joaquim Rodriguez, seemingly impregnable thus far, suffers the dreaded jours sans when everybody was least expecting it. Elsewhere, the biggest time gaps of the Vuelta to date are opened on what was far from its toughest stage on paper.
  • smithy21
    dsoutar wrote:

I might just do that. Meantime, feel free to stick that thing on top of your shoulders into this bucket_o_sand.jpg whilst wearing these rose-tinted-glasses.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • gabriel959 wrote:

What is he saying?

I think Joaquim is brilliant. I am super pissed Valverde has him out of 2nd. His team let him down today.

Hope Valverde suffers hard on the Bola so that Joaquim goes one step up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    That said it's not like Rodriguez hasn't had a bad day putting paid to his chances on longer climbs in the past.
  • The performances this stage are not amazing. Valverde closing the gap maybe, but there were other riders with him. He may well have had good legs but hedged his bets and thought of hanging on - when he saw the gap wasn't coming down he went off solo on a climb that suits him well. Contador raced very tactically and given his extra effot he suffered at the end, finishing exhausted and just ahead of the chasers. Joaquim had a bad day otherwise would have been close - that was very obvious by his pedalling style.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    If you doubt Alberto here you have to doubt Farah and Murray as well. They paticipate in sports that are twice as dirty as cycling
    I don't suppose anyone thinks athletics or tennis are clean, but where is the evidence that they are twice as dirty as cycling?

the only tennis bust I can remember is some guy busted for cocaine after snogging a random bird in a Miami nightclub - that's pretty dirty :)

Didn't Rusedski get done for having some anabolic in his sample... Blamed it on an open jar of supplements in the middle of the changies that everyone was just dipping into. Strictliabilityamendous!

I never trusted that Canadian.. :)
  • dsoutar
    hammerite wrote:
    That said it's not like Rodriguez hasn't had a bad day putting paid to his chances on longer climbs in the past.

Yeah - I think with so many mtf already in this race we all sort of assumed that he'd got over that problem.

Obviously not.
  • rick_chasey
    dsoutar wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Yep, unfortunately my complete failure to get excited by this stage is because Contador was banned for a doping offence and now, no matter how I want to, I can't believe in his riding. Gutted.

Watching the wrong race mate.

Please don't tell me you think that this is actually a good thing for pro-cycling

The quality of the racing is, for sure.

Was worried this whole season would be a massive bore-fest.

If you're extremely intolerant to an doping it's the wrong sport for you.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gabriel959 wrote:

What is he saying?

I think Joaquim is brilliant. I am super pissed Valverde has him out of 2nd. His team let him down today.

Hope Valverde suffers hard on the Bola so that Joaquim goes one step up.
    J-Rod will have to go all out on the Bola. The last time they went up it was great, too (Nibali vs Mosquera)

Moreno has been the best team-mate for Rodriguez but didn't he crash a couple of days ago? Definitely suffering since then.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gabriel959
    He was saying that he didn't see it coming, he says he hasn't got any excuses. He is very gracious in defeat, hopefully a transcript will be available shortly.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Anyway, wonderful racing from Contador. Truly is a True Champion. Races with passion
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gabriel959
    To finish it off he has said - Today the big winner is cycling. Amazing guy
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • smithy21
    gabriel959 wrote:

Do the Spanish do sarcasm? :wink:
  • gabriel959
    smithy21 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Do the Spanish do sarcasm? :wink:

yeah, we do. He was being genuine though :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Yep, unfortunately my complete failure to get excited by this stage is because Contador was banned for a doping offence and now, no matter how I want to, I can't believe in his riding. Gutted.

Please don't tell me you think that this is actually a good thing for pro-cycling

If you're extremely intolerant to any doping it's the wrong sport for you.

Personally I have trouble understanding why anyone would have any tolerance to doping. Unfortunately that's what's driving people and sponsors out of the sport.

More worryingly, the UCI also appear to have the same outlook to doping :(
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dsoutar wrote:
    mroli wrote:

It's not a question extreme intolerance, it's a question of having vague self awareness of double standards. If someone is going to go on an Armstrong or Riis thread tutting about how terrible it all is, critizing riders for not saying anything and crying for justice, then they should at least then have enough sense not to half an hour later cream their pants when a couple of recently convicted cheats put on bit of a show.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    dsoutar wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    mroli wrote:

If you're extremely intolerant to any doping it's the wrong sport for you.

Personally I have trouble understanding why anyone would have any tolerance to doping. Unfortunately that's what's driving people and sponsors out of the sport.

More worryingly, the UCI also appear to have the same outlook to doping :(

You as a fan won't change anything. So either you put your doping qualms to one side when you watch the race, or you should give it up.

Watching it and hating it isn't going to add any value to your life. Unless you're into that, obviously.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    mroli wrote:

It's not a question extreme intolerance, it's a question of having vague self awareness of double standards. If someone is going to go on an Armstrong or Riis thread tutting about how terrible it all is, critizing riders for not saying anything and crying for justice, then they should at least then have enough sense not to half an hour later cream their pants when a couple of recently convicted cheats put on bit of a show.

I think you under-estimate what fans want.

Fans want exciting racing. I'll suspend any doubts I have while I watch what's happening on the road.

Once the glow of the race has worn off I might think a bit more evenly about it, but ultimately I'm a fan and I want enjoyment from it. I put that ahead of avoiding double standards.