Vuelta Stage 17 **Spoiler**

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2012 in Pro race
I want a top 10 and will be really p***ed off if I have to settle for 11th at the Vuelta and 12th at the Tour
-Roche

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/roche-u ... -at-vuelta

17_perfil.png

“We are having an extraordinary weather for the Vuelta but not the rain, which I use as an ally.”
-Contador

Amazing comments again from Joaquim:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodrigu ... nsiderable

“It’s not easy to follow Alberto at the speed he goes when he attacks on the climbs, logically if it was the other way round I’d go a lot slower. Often I’ve suffered a lot to get on his wheel when he accelerates, and the worst time was at Lagos de Covandonga, when Alejandro [Valverde-Movistar] and Nairo [Quintana-Movistar] didn’t follow him and I was left hanging there for a moment.”

“But in any case, all I think when he attacks is if I can hold on like grim death, I will, even if I blow afterwards. There’s no point in me doing anything but winning now, I’ve finished on enough podiums already.”

"Finishing second behind Contador isn’t like finishing a race behind Johnny Nobody, it’s a great achievement."

“it’s his mental strength. Just a few minutes after a mountain stage has finished, he’s got the ability to say ‘tomorrow, Purito, I’ll be back and there’s more of this to come.’ I admire that.”
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

pfft, his saddle and bar tape don't match - no wonder he's only in 2nd
  • Fuente_D%C3%A9_profile.jpg
    I%20CAN%20Fuente%20D+%C2%AE%20(Potes)(1).png

A high speed sustained attack could be attempted here. Etna was a long and hard attack, altough the climb was slightly steeper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • GEEK ALERT

Cobo rode a 34x32 up the Angliru last year - Wiggins didn't. Sean Kelly is way of the mark in commentary suggesting lead riders would be riding 36x25 "or even a 27". Froome seemed to be riding an extremely low gear with an eliptical chain ring. Didn't look quite right.
  • "Finishing second behind Contador isn’t like finishing a race behind Johnny Nobody, it’s a great achievement."

Can't believe the Bertie Haters have let that one hang there......

Also, what's the original Spanish for Johnny Nobody?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Juan nadie perhaps

Should be Juan Pelota
  • Flying along. 67 kms covered in 85 minutes.
    Uran tried and failed to get in a break, so Froome is all doom and gloom.

Bertie and Piti got away from Purito's gang, a few minutes ago, but have been reeled in.

Still no break.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Bertie seemed to be riding the 'big-big' combo a fair bit on Monday, so 53-32? I guess he dropped to the granny for the really steep stuff though.

34-32 is ridiculous though! my mtb lowest gear isn't much more than that!
  • Leonardo Duque (Cofidis), Alessandro Ballan (BMC), Danny Pate (Sky), Imanol Erviti (Movistar), Lloyd Mondory (Ag2r-La Mondiale), Mikel Astarloza (Euskaltel-Euskadi), Lars Boom (Rabobank), Bruno Pires (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank), Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Pim Ligthart (Vacansoleil-DCM) and Javier Ramirez (Andalucia)

What day is Moncoutie going to go:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/moncout ... retirement
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Sad day when Moncoutie retires :(
  • Contador:
    -This year I know I can do both the World's time trial and road-race in top condition
    -he would only do the Tour of Beijing "if my World Tour points are worth something for the team. If they aren't, then I won't go."

Contador attacked the current regulations according to which WorldTour points from suspended riders do not count for toward a team's ranking for the following two years after a ban.

"It doesn't seem right to me", Contador said, "and if they aren't worth something, I'm staying home, and that's clear."
    -racing Lombardia
    -"If there was a climb close to the finish on one stage where I could attack from further out rather than having to wait for the last four to five kilometres to make my move, that would be ideal. And we've only really had 13.5 kilometres of flat time trial [on the 39.4 kilometre race against the clock from Cambados to Pontevedra] to the first checkpoint."

"But the route is what it is, and we have to adapt to that."
    -Looking towards the Bola del Mundo, a climb he knows very well from training given it is just an hour's drive from his home in Pinto, and asked whether he would place a long-distance attack as he did on the Galibier in the Tour 2011 when he was on the point of losing the race, Contador said, "it'll depend on the day. But I'd advise people to watch the stage."

Asked if he still would place a bet on himself winning, Contador said "of course. I believe in my chances, I would be deceiving myself if I didn't."

Got to love the True Champ attitude.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Christ, he really can do no wrong in your eyes, can he?
  • Contador said, "it'll depend on the day. But I'd advise people to watch the stage."

Asked if he still would place a bet on himself winning, Contador said "of course. I believe in my chances, I would be deceiving myself if I didn't."

Love that.
  • Moncoutie trying to bridge.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Contador attacked the current regulations according to which WorldTour points from suspended riders do not count for toward a team's ranking for the following two years after a ban.

"It doesn't seem right to me", Contador said, "and if they aren't worth something, I'm staying home, and that's clear."

Got to love the True Cheat attitude.

He knows the rules, and he cheated. He got away with a light ban, so shouldn't moan that his points don't count.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Contador has just attacked.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Contador is now a mere mortal, not the inheritor of Armstrong's costume
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Got to love the True Cheat attitude.

He knows the rules, and he cheated. He got away with a light ban, so shouldn't moan that his points don't count.
    *shrugs* It's an additional sanction above what was dished out by CAS. If it was tested at CAS It would probably be ruled invalid just like the BOC 'no convicted doper to the olympics' bylaw.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Can we have an update on this Contador attack please anyone?
  • Heavyweight

They are busting their balls to catch him
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gabriel959
    He has attacked. Got 18 seconds on Valverde and J-Rod and 55 on Froome and Gesink. He has got 4 team mates with him, J-Rod none apparently.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    He has attacked. Got 18 seconds on Valverde and J-Rod and 55 on Froome and Gesink. He has got 4 team mates with him, J-Rod none apparently.

Superb. Thanks!
  • 50km. Moncoutie leads over the summit
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gabriel959
    Gesink and Froome now losing 1:18 to Contador.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    20 seconds now for Contador to Valv.Piti and J-Rod.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Someone impartial give an analysis! Can Contador stay away? Froome basically given up?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Totally unrelated post.

650620694.jpg?key=600414&Expires=1346855060&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=JKjkxDxNDKqLundaolCHylxN662ClMNBVmYq1Bzgz6cfE-nqNg3ef3J9T51-kx~jv~PIE2X9RcAC0XCsy9hB38zH3V~iBhC71W7KEffNiWtNl5IBSm58K4MDD-5WuxfTum1Z2NYSr8e3qAdc0srUcZQJovT-v6US9vu8nZ0RXOo_
  • gabriel959
    I am just putting the same info that La Vuelta ticker has on its website.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    Someone impartial give an analysis! Can Contador stay away? Froome basically given up?

Who knows. He's giving it a good crack. 33km to go and he has 30 secs.

If I was J Rod I would be thinking he cant possibly make this stick but at the back of my mind- what if steak was on the menu at Saxo Towers during the rest day?
  • Totally unrelated post.

650620694.jpg?key=600414&Expires=1346855060&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=JKjkxDxNDKqLundaolCHylxN662ClMNBVmYq1Bzgz6cfE-nqNg3ef3J9T51-kx~jv~PIE2X9RcAC0XCsy9hB38zH3V~iBhC71W7KEffNiWtNl5IBSm58K4MDD-5WuxfTum1Z2NYSr8e3qAdc0srUcZQJovT-v6US9vu8nZ0RXOo_

Why is he being pushed along by Bill Shatner?