Vuelta Stage 17 **Spoiler**

Comments

• Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bert is so happy he forgot to do the pistol thing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Smart riding.

Only 6 seconds ahead of Valverde in the end, but he did the right thing - he had to get to the climb with J Rod a) not in his wheel and b) far enough away from a JRod jump.

I said somewhere miles back Contador would have to go long to win it. Well there you go.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    LangerDan wrote:
    Funny how on the Armstrong / Hamilton threads, Riis is a stain that should be expunged from the sport. In the Vuelta, his man goes up the road like a rocket and Riis is a master tactician..

The only thing Riis is, is a Danish Bruyneel
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yep, unfortunately my complete failure to get excited by this stage is because Contador was banned for a doping offence and now, no matter how I want to, I can't believe in his riding. Gutted.
  • rick_chasey
    mroli wrote:
    Yep, unfortunately my complete failure to get excited by this stage is because Contador was banned for a doping offence and now, no matter how I want to, I can't believe in his riding. Gutted.

Watching the wrong race mate.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Quality.. Even gonna lash my signature up just because it was such an awesome ride!
    cartoon.jpg
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    mroli wrote:

Go watch Farah winning in athletics or Murray tennis. Much cleaner athele.. Oh, wait..
  • thomthom
    Never seen him that happy. Gutted for him.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    ThomThom wrote:
    mroli wrote:

Go watch Farah winning in athletics or Murray tennis. Much cleaner athele.. Oh, wait..

What sort of dumb comment is that?

It may have been a great ride, but Contador is a busted doper, and this was the classic day after the rest day, so people have a right to be sceptical. Shame the Contador fanbois can't see that.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Alberto sounding a bit emotional in the interview.
  • dsoutar
    mroli wrote:

Watching the wrong race mate.

Please don't tell me you think that this is actually a good thing for pro-cycling
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    Missed most of it, but sounds like a great ride.
  • On the rest day thing - is there any history of people having bad days after rest days i.e. a good explanation for Rodriguez's performance? Nievely I would think, despite Stage 16's finish, that a day off would give everyone some legs back?
  • thomthom
    edited September 2012
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    mroli wrote:

What sort of dumb comment is that?

It may have been a great ride, but Contador is a busted doper, and this was the classic day after the rest day, so people have a right to be sceptical. Shame the Contador fanbois can't see that.

If you doubt Alberto here you have to doubt Farah and Murray as well. They paticipate in sports that are twice as dirty as cycling. I'm not saying there are doping, just as I say Alberto isn't doping.

But I don't expect you to undestand as they were britsh athletes I mentioned...
  • rick_chasey
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    On the rest day thing - is there any history of people having bad days after rest days i.e. a good explanation for Rodriguez's performance? Nievely I would think, despite Stage 16's finish, that a day off would give everyone some legs back?

Boogerd always was under-par after a rest day. Riders respond to rest days differently.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    edited September 2012
    Contador leads the GC by 1 minute 52 seconds over Valverde.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Looks like Contador is indeed the dominant rider of his generation, just like Armstrong was of his.
  • Roche well out of top ten
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ThomThom wrote:
    If you doubt Alberto here you have to doubt Farah and Murray as well. They paticipate in sports that are twice as dirty as cycling
    I don't suppose anyone thinks athletics or tennis are clean, but where is the evidence that they are twice as dirty as cycling?
  • Think I need to get that victory photo on my wall
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    edited September 2012
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    On the rest day thing ... I would think ... that a day off would give everyone some legs back?

Is that what it's called ???

Just love the new "clean" era !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Whatever you think about Contadope (and I do have lots of bad things to say about him) that was great racing today.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Tsk, didn't you know that every time you question a cyclist viz a viz doping, you have to list every other sport and random athletes from that sport who might be dopers as well?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    bompington wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    If you doubt Alberto here you have to doubt Farah and Murray as well. They paticipate in sports that are twice as dirty as cycling
    I don't suppose anyone thinks athletics or tennis are clean, but where is the evidence that they are twice as dirty as cycling?

the only tennis bust I can remember is some guy busted for cocaine after snogging a random bird in a Miami nightclub - that's pretty dirty :)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    I really can't understand why people don't at least ask questions of Farah. Him and his training partner come out of nowhere having started to use a new trainer, set substanially improved PBs and finish 1-2 in the olympics, but this is a cycling fourm, so perhaps it shouldn't be discussed.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I really can't understand why people don't at least ask questions of Farah. Him and his training partner come out of nowhere having started to use a new trainer, set substanially improved PBs and finish 1-2 in the olympics, but this is a cycling fourm, so perhaps it shouldn't be discussed.

Cake stop.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    ThomThom wrote:
    If you doubt Alberto here you have to doubt Farah and Murray as well. They paticipate in sports that are twice as dirty as cycling. I'm not saying there are doping, just as I say Alberto isn't doping.

But I don't expect you to undestand as they were britsh athletes I mentioned...

Sorry, nope, I don't live in your parallel universe. You imply that both Farrar & Murray dope, without evidence, but claim later that they don't dope? Also, what's the nationality of Farrar or Murray got to do with it?
    Where's your evidence that athletics and tennis are twice as dirty as cycling? That''d be pretty difficult given the acknowledged problems of cycling over the last 50 years!

When cycling has seemingly been trying to clean up its act, it is a shame to see 2 convicted dopers at the top of the GC.
  • rockmount wrote:
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    On the rest day thing ... I would think, despite Stage 16's finish, that a day off would give everyone some legs back?

Is that what it's called ???

Just love the new "clean" era !

I was trying to be diplomatic and mischevious at the same time! But also curious, I can see legs sieving up a little but they are pro's so I assume they get all the support they need to be back up nearer 100% after a day off.
  • dsoutar
    I think we ought to bring bank Lance and Landis. After all, it couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Great racing ? Yeah - that's what people said about the time LA left Ullrich for dead wasn't it. Get real people.

This has just killed off my interest in this year's Vuelta. Watch the highlights ? I'd rather eat dog-sick