Vuelta Stage 17 **Spoiler**

1789101113»

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah, but it dominates discussions about cycling and even during cycling (and to my mind, but not to others) when you look at cyclists. Prior to 2010, I could look at Contador and think "f*&k me, he's an amazing cyclist". Now I look at him and think "is he an amazing cyclist because he dopes"?
    I watch cycling because I like cycling and I equate it to what I do on the road, but to a MUCH higher level. I want to watch these guys and think "if I was younger and fitter and lighter and had bigger lungs and better legs and a different mental attitude" I could do this. I don't want an additional caveat to be "and I took a bucketload of PEDs".
    My opinion may not change much (anything), but Livestrong ain't getting my money and neither are Nike, Trek or Nissan! I would (and have) bought Garmins though (and Quickstep flooring)!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah. So it's a self projection thing?

I see ;).

You somehow want it to be attainable on some level and you feel the doping stops it being ethically attainable to you?

I'll be honest, I rarely, if ever, think about myself when I'm watching the racing, beyond perhaps what tactics I'd be using ala pro-cycling manager.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    AC? Just to muddy your waters. Antonio Colom of Astana. Now he did come up trumps for EPO, in 2009. :wink:

There's no doubt AC is Contador - the list exactly matchedthe Liberty Seguros 2005 Tour team.

For me with Contador, it's not any particular performance or even the special steak sauce - it's that he routinely works with the sport's dodgiest characters, despite being able to pick and choose who he likes. If he's clean then he is not only incredibly unlucky, but an extraordinarily bad judge of character. Almost ever DS, doctor or trainer he has worked with has been banned, arrested, jailed or is facing a ban.

It reminds me of something Brian Clough allegedly once said to Justin Fashanu - If you're not gay, why do you keep going to gay bars?

Yes, Rich, I think you know, that I know.
    Hence the repost to BB's with AC on them.

Interesting now though, is the word "nothing", in the light of Hamilton's revelation about the good Dr C not wanting to dope.
    It could just mean.............

Sure, I'm just playing devil's advocate, here, but I feel at the moment it doesn't hurt.

All this talk about unrepentant dopers making folks sick of watching etc.
    Meanwhile, we find out Garmin have a clutch of English speaking, much loved, yet unrepentant (confessions anyone?) dopers, who have for several years been held up as standard bearers of clean cycling.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RichN95 wrote:
    AC? Just to muddy your waters. Antonio Colom of Astana. Now he did come up trumps for EPO, in 2009. :wink:

There's no doubt AC is Contador - the list exactly matchedthe Liberty Seguros 2005 Tour team.

For me with Contador, it's not any particular performance or even the special steak sauce - it's that he routinely works with the sport's dodgiest characters, despite being able to pick and choose who he likes. If he's clean then he is not only incredibly unlucky, but an extraordinarily bad judge of character. Almost ever DS, doctor or trainer he has worked with has been banned, arrested, jailed or is facing a ban.

It reminds me of something Brian Clough allegedly once said to Justin Fashanu - If you're not gay, why do you keep going to gay bars?

Rich, just wanted you to know that you've warranted my first ever use of a emoticon... :lol:

I feel quite liberated (perhaps, in a small way, it feels a bit like coming out?)!...
  • Fan video of the Contador attack, or at least when he was creating the gap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAN4RI8Y ... r_embedded
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Fan video of the Contador attack, or at least when he was creating the gap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAN4RI8Y ... r_embedded

Cheers for that.

In racing parlance, I believe that is known as "carnage"

Edit: also, if you look closely, I believe you can see both Rodriguez and Valverde with their bib-shorts flapping around their Sidi's...