Vuelta Stage 17 **Spoiler**

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    It stinks though, Contadope, Val.Piti and I don't hope much hope for J-Rod either. The African disease boy didn't inspire me much confidence either.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Froome's going to need lights.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited September 2012
    Tactical masterpiece this. That's all.

Reporter just said that the tactics had been planned right from this morning of.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    COME ON SADA! (Only joking, a Contador-Valverde 1-2 would be great for the sport... )

Who was the last Spaniard to test positive in Spain? Heras?

Dunno, Mozquera? (sic)

Re Tiralongo, you could almost believe he's doing a mate a favour, him and Bertie have history after all. Although the CN feed kindly reminded us that he's Sicilian!
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    It stinks though, Contadope, Val.Piti and I don't hope much hope for J-Rod either. The African disease boy didn't inspire me much confidence either.

Is it another example of the bad old days today?

Worth watching the highlights tonight?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Harmon says he's going to eat his hat
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paying another team to do all the work for you isn't really the way a 'True Champion' is it?

You obviously are not watching the stage. Watch it this evening then you will see why your comment is stupid.
    You said yourself that he'd obviously paid Tiralongo.

Still, the rest day seemed to be just the shot in the arm Bertie's form needed.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    gabriel959 wrote:

It is good racing. Best we have seen in a GT this year but its the protagonists who don't inspire confidence.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Sounds like an exciting stage (following text commentary and this thread @ work, looking fwd to highlights), but am I the only one to be a little uncomfortable with the associations this phrase on cyclingnews commentary:
    "Contador has blown the race to pieces the day after the rest day."

Or am I just too cynical?

Not a troll, genuine question.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Last GT stage with the top four GC riders in 4 different groups on the road way before the finish? This just doesn't happen any more :shock:
  • thomthom
    edited September 2012
    gabriel959 wrote:

Not at all. It's an absolutely brilliant display of how important tactics can be in cycling.

Alberto is not doing anything extraordinary here. He is not keeping an entire peloton away. Saxo got Jrod isolated and this is why he is about to win the Vuelta. Riduculosuly good racing.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Well Contador has clearly found his legs at last. Its a very impressive display and I have to respect his attitide and motivation, I just hope its legit.
    Mañana
  • afx237vi
    Millar: OMG this is old school, and I mean good old school, not bad old school.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Funny how on the Armstrong / Hamilton threads, Riis is a stain that should be expunged from the sport. In the Vuelta, his man goes up the road like a rocket and Riis is a master tactician..
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paying another team to do all the work for you isn't really the way a 'True Champion' is it?

You obviously are not watching the stage. Watch it this evening then you will see why your comment is stupid.

Paying him back with a contract. He is meant to be joining Saxo anyway.

Further more he didbt make a HUGE impact to Contador's lead. Contador took the racing initiative and attacked early. He bridged and rode with his domestique to create the gap. He then went created the lead with Tira. He then went solo with 13.5km to go. Simple
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lichtblick
    Maybe he had some nookie last night. That'd put the heart back into a man.

Ignore that.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You're not wrong there :wink:
  • Hang on in there Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 30 secs to Valv. You have to be kidding me
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    pb21 wrote:
    Well Contador has clearly found his legs at last. Its a very impressive display and I have to respect his attitide and motivation, I just hope its legit.

Pretty much this. Surely its got to be though. Gap to Valverde is 30 secs now so that would be consistent with J rod being on a bad day.
  • Lichtblick
    GO ALBERTO!!!!!!!
  • afx237vi
    Valverde gaining time on Bert suggests to me that this is a really shitty J-Rod day rather than a super Bert day.
  • smithy21
    2km to go and they can see him. Bertie is sh!tting himself here.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hang on, are people suggesting Valverde's performance should be taken as the benchmark for whether someone is clean or not? Say what?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    LangerDan wrote:
    Funny how on the Armstrong / Hamilton threads, Riis is a stain that should be expunged from the sport. In the Vuelta, his man goes up the road like a rocket and Riis is a master tactician..

andyourpointis.gif
  • smithy21
    Bertie to gift the stage to Valverde seeing as the Vuelta is won?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Bertie's looking like he'll do it
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • thomthom
    edited September 2012
    Brilliant tactics.
    Brilliant racing.
    Brilliant stage.
    Brilliant riders.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    smithy21 wrote:
    Bertie to gift the stage to Valverde seeing as the Vuelta is won?

Nuh uh.

Wants the bonus seconds.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Contador deserves this