Hamilton's autobiography *spoilers*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Think most of us are way ahead of you Cleat....

I enjoyed it on kindle. I assume it is much the same on paper though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Coyle posting a bunch of audio from when he was doing the Armstrong book

Some Ferrari ones today

http://soundcloud.com/djcoyle/

Big George : 6.4W per KG.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I finished reading this book on Saturday.

Here's a thought, and I realise that it's not an original thought (since there is no such thing):

When LA chose to go down that trail, he wasn't only cheating all the fans, and all the other teams in the same competitions, he was also cheating himself. No one will ever know (including himself) how he could have done, what he could have won, without cheating.

Clock cannot be wound back. He chose to do that. And having chosen, options were limited from 1999 onwards.

It's kinda sick, really.

He also, as someone else commented, comes across as a very unpleasant person. What he wanted was docile workhorses who had to commit to supporting the massive ego on pedals to "win" again. The only reason why he stopped doing the TdF is because he finally got too old to do it.

But no! Back he came with Bruyneel to Astana, and came 3rd. LA does not come 3rd, so he had another go. That time he came, what? 23rd? He didn't finally quit bike racing until February last year, despite all his money and other things to do,

it's kinda sick, really. IMHO, the obsessiveness, when the walls were already starting to close around him. Having said that I do not feel sorry for him; it's the others I feel sorry for. Fans, supporters, believers, and towards the end of this ghastly era, other riders who tried to compete without doping (?).

I wonder what he's going to do next, since he's only 41. Politics? Who would vote for that?
  • Politics? Who would vote for that?

Probably more people than you think. I have a friend who is convinced that the USADA case is (to an extent) motivated by frustrating his political ambitions.

Andy
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Clock cannot be wound back. He chose to do that. And having chosen, options were limited from 1999 onwards.
    There's evidence he'd made that choice a long time before 1999. He'd been abusing lots of different drugs pre-Cancer if you believe the Andreus.
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    There's evidence he'd made that choice a long time before 1999. He'd been abusing lots of different drugs pre-Cancer if you believe the Andreus.

Yep: in hospital, post-brain-surgery, 1996: Armstrong told the doctors he'd taken EPO. Testosterone. Growth hormones. Steroids. Quite the PEDs inventory.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Yep: in hospital, post-brain-surgery, 1996: Armstrong told the doctors he'd taken EPO. Testosterone. Growth hormones. Steroids. Quite the PEDs inventory.

Ironically, some of that inventory has been identified as having a causal link to cancer...
  • and the word is that for a while (clearly, a bloody brief while) Ferrari was worried that it might have caused Armstrong's cancer. Lucky for Armstrong, Ferrarr's conscience was so elastic he could have appeared in the Fantastic Four.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Some Ferrari ones today

Is that a genuine 6.4 or a "calculated on VAM" 6.4?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    iainf72 wrote:

Some Ferrari ones today

Is that a genuine 6.4 or a "calculated on VAM" 6.4?

I can't remember if it was prior to '04 or '05 Tour, but I good friend of mine was a close associate of a well-known cycling journalist (I appreciate this is already sounding a bit tenuous... but I'll plough on anyway. I believed him; neither my friend or that journo are given to hyperbole); he had it on good authority from the Armstrong camp that LA was hitting 6.7w per Kg coming into the Dauphiné.
    At that time, probably only a handful of folk had that mean anything: we were just told it was "jolly high" and what you needed to be hitting for Tour victory at that time. It's only really subsequently that the widespread view seems to be that 6.2w and upwards is seen as suspicious and nudging the ceiling in what's humanly possible (clean).

I remember back in the 90's, when Indurain was in his pomp, the Banesto staff were very cagey about power outputs and all that; they were happy to talk about resting heart rate and lung capacity, though... In retrospect, as I sigh in disappointment, it makes sense - and somehow mirrors the Armstrong stance: distract the inquisitors with stories of astounding or near supernatural qualities (Big MIg - largest lungs on the planet: LA - relentless determination, unreal pain tolerance bourne out of "beating cancer") that can't be attributed to doping.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    One of my favourite Lance myths is that he had a supernatural ability that meant he was immune to the effects of lactic acid, or something like that...
    Mañana
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    pb21 wrote:
    One of my favourite Lance myths is that he had a supernatural ability that meant he was immune to the effects of lactic acid, or something like that...
    Can't think why I have not seen it before but Lance = Chuck Norris! I mean have you ever seen the two of them in the same room together?

Laughs in the face of lactic acid and cheats death ona daily basis.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I can't remember if it was prior to '04 or '05 Tour, but I good friend of mine was a close associate of a well-known cycling journalist (I appreciate this is already sounding a bit tenuous... but I'll plough on anyway. I believed him; neither my friend or that journo are given to hyperbole); he had it on good authority from the Armstrong camp that LA was hitting 6.7w per Kg coming into the Dauphiné.
    At that time, probably only a handful of folk had that mean anything: we were just told it was "jolly high" and what you needed to be hitting for Tour victory at that time. It's only really subsequently that the widespread view seems to be that 6.2w and upwards is seen as suspicious and nudging the ceiling in what's humanly possible (clean).

I remember back in the 90's, when Indurain was in his pomp, the Banesto staff were very cagey about power outputs and all that; they were happy to talk about resting heart rate and lung capacity, though... In retrospect, as I sigh in disappointment, it makes sense - and somehow mirrors the Armstrong stance: distract the inquisitors with stories of astounding or near supernatural qualities (Big MIg - largest lungs on the planet: LA - relentless determination, unreal pain tolerance bourne out of "beating cancer") that can't be attributed to doping.

Did your friend of a friend of a friend say just how long LA was hitting 6.7W/kg for? Without that it's pretty meaningless.
    More problems but still living....
  • Just finished TH's book. Really enjoyed it. Certainly supports the belief that everyone was doping. My opinion of TH swung between a young guy who felt he had no choice but to dope if he wanted to be successful, to a guy with a "poor me" attitude to someone who is a bit screwed up but with decent intentions., using the book as part of the process of sorting his head out, make some cash (fair enough), and with a genuine aim of wanting to"help" the sport. ( probably in that order). I hope it helped him achieve some sort of "closure" (I hate that word).
    Oh and that LA bloke. What a thoroughly decent chap!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Allegedly, this was the moment LA's mind was made up:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ifX50GytY

:lol:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    amaferanga wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Did your friend of a friend of a friend say just how long LA was hitting 6.7W/kg for? Without that it's pretty meaningless.

I believe it was during tests on the Madone. Don't know for what periods exactly...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    All of it I'd imagine.

6.4 puts you on the podium on this year's Tour.
  • DeadCalm
    All of it I'd imagine.

6.4 puts you on the podium on this year's Tour.
    6.4 wins this year's tour by a big margin...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I can hit 6.7w/kg, I'll happily test the new Madone for Trek if they want me to.
  • I'm up to page 195 on the iBook version and I clicked the hyperlink believetyler.org that was embedded. Was a surprise to say the least.

Try it!! *snip*

*warning* Totally Nsfw by the way.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I quite enjoyed it.

It surprised me how often they were all at it, even during a three week GT, but then I'm completely [was] naive.

Was it an arms race ? I think so. Was it a level playing field ? Not far off I reckon. I appreciate the likes of Bassons got a rough deal, but some of the stages were good.

What sport has a completely level playing field ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pat1cp wrote:
    Snooker. It stops all balls rolling to one end.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Ashamed to say it but I neglected my kids a bit last weekend in order to finish the book. Was I surprised by anything that was in there....no.....should anybody else be.....no. The shocker was just how Mickey Mouse some of the transfusions were and the whole storage process was. Might as well have used a Tescos cool bag.
    More concerning was the Spanish attitude to doping both generally and legally.....as much as I love watching the Vuelta you just have to st back and wonder.....
    Good read and I would recommend it.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    rdt wrote:
    Allegedly, this was the moment LA's mind was made up:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ifX50GytY

that and Fleche Wallonne 1994 when Geweiss covered all 3 spots on the podium, with assistance from Conconi and his pupil... you guessed it, step forward.... Michele Ferrari
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Preferred it to Millar's book.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Read Millars book before I read this.....agreed Hamilton's is a more revealatory and better read. Is it down to Coyle who i think is quite accomplished. There were bits of Millars book that I felt were a tad self-indulgent and I also got the feeling that he could feel the lawyers hovering in the background.
    Glad I didn't get the kids a T shirt with Fausto/Jacques/Eddy/Miguel and Lance on....especially as the only colours left were red!!!!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just finished. I thought it was an excellent book, written with integrity
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I've only just found Blazin' Saddles review of the book
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/bla ... 03622.html
    Was/is Motoman actually any good at gardening? Or was Dr. Fuentes, who started out as a gynaecologist, better at trimming bushes?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Nominated for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year. Pendleton's book too, and 12 other books.
    Previous winners include Rough Ride and It's Not About the Bike.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    RichN95 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    Snooker. It stops all balls rolling to one end.

This deserves a :lol:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey