Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited February 2021
    Since I brought it up I'll drop my 2 cents

*not great to be honest - not sure it would have held my concentration if I hadn't been tied to my desk (figuratively)

* acting really not good, even from actors that frankly are usually quite bankable. David O'Doherty the only one who holds it together and he's still far from his best

* some of the euro accents are hilarious/cringe - You'd have thought Guillaume Canet could have popped down to Italy before taking the role as Ferrari

*Race Footage? Hmm, yeah fair play. Nicely done.

*Ben Foster trying to pull Armstrong impressions? Not so much. Certainly doesn't capture the 'intensity' (?) of the man

*Tug at the heartstrings to hear Paul Sherwen's voice again (RISoC)

*The actor that plays Bertie doesn't have nearly big enough brown cow eyes for housewives to fall in love with

Yes I know it's Chris O'Dowd...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    ^ 😊

Just watched part 1 of 'Lance'. Much better that that fillum. Mayhap I'm getting so old that I prefer fact over make up a story...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited February 2021
    gsk82 said:

External BB cups in the early 90s?🙄

Yeah that got me too... They could have used some proper bikes.

I watched this in the cinema when it came out, back when cinemas were allowed etc.. The Belmont Filmhouse in Aberdeen actually, it was ages ago! Quite enjoyed it as far as I recall. Agreed it wasn't the best film ever or anything.

I thought Ben Foster was quite good personally - it's difficult in biopic type films as you have to tread the line between catching the essence of the person and just doing an impression of them. If it's just an impression it gets a bit "uncanny valley".
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    The Belmont is a nice civilised theatre.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Does anyone else see the similarities between him and Jordan?
  • ddraver
    Fo sho...
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Massive tits?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021
    Nah finding grievances, real or otherwise, as the primary source of motivation to continue to be as good as they are.

I can relate, albeit on a much smaller basis - trying to win business of my old firm after some petty comments about my new firm "not being a rival" is the single strongest motivator I've had to f*cking smash it.
  • elbowloh said:

Massive tits?
    Ha.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited February 2021
    elbowloh said:

Massive tits?
    The two of them?
    That’s not a difference, it’s a commonality. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Nah finding grievances, real or otherwise, as the primary source of motivation to continue to be as good as they are.

I can relate, albeit on a much smaller basis - trying to win business of my old firm after some petty comments about my new firm "not being a rival" is the single strongest motivator I've had to f*cking smash it.

Although competitive, he always seemed to have complete respect for Ullrich. I think they touched on that in the documentary.
  • rick_chasey

Nah finding grievances, real or otherwise, as the primary source of motivation to continue to be as good as they are.

Although competitive, he always seemed to have complete respect for Ullrich. I think they touched on that in the documentary.
    Only because he always beat him and he had near total psychological domination over him.

Honestly, if Jan had it all together Lance would not be a fan, don't you think?
  • Nah finding grievances, real or otherwise, as the primary source of motivation to continue to be as good as they are.

Only because he always beat him and he had near total psychological domination over him.

Honestly, if Jan had it all together Lance would not be a fan, don't you think?
    Yeah, that's completely fair.
  • ddraver
    That's a really good point!

I wonder if the reverse of that is behind his seething hatred for Landis, who was totally under his spell but then spurned him..?
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I guess so. I also think that if you follow the logic of the doping peloton then what Landis did was mainly out of spite. We would disagree, obviously...

You can see it a bit in the relationship with Hincape.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    WOW. You guys are STILL on this LA thing. Keep up the good work.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The last post was 2 weeks ago... and a film about him got put on streaming.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Even Oprah's moved on
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Was it humanly possible to live in the Royal Family without being white?

"Not in my opinion. that generation. I didn't invent the culture, but I didn't try to stop the culture."
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ddraver said:

Was it humanly possible to live in the Royal Family without being white?

"Not in my opinion. that generation. I didn't invent the culture, but I didn't try to stop the culture."

"One of my own family asked 'how dark' my urine might be"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    On a slightly darker parallel Simeoni had quite a hard time after the whole spat with Armstrong (not sure if he got to the 'dark thoughts' stage), and get sweet FA support from his colleagues....
  • Credit to UK Cycling Expert for a tweet along the lines of "Oprah's not asked Meghan a single question about drugs. If Lance could've just got through the first 20 minutes he would've been OK"
  • Dave_1 said:

all done. Move on folks. Joke of a sport

Interesting to look back on this 9 years on.
  • rick_chasey

Old dopers uniting on Twitter. Pat yourselves on the back, lads.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

I love the fact that a simple Twitter poll by procyclingstats is enough to trigger Armstrong ten years after he finally confessed. He's remarkably thin-skinned for a millionaire sociopath.
  • Lance took part in the "Wedu" rides on Zwift last summer (or was it the summer of '21?) and got an absolute ribbing off many riders. Strange how when I remember to look, he is no longer signed up as ride leader. :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    andyp said:

I love the fact that a simple Twitter poll by procyclingstats is enough to trigger Armstrong ten years after he finally confessed. He's remarkably thin-skinned for a millionaire sociopath.
    Dekker too.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

Lance took part in the "Wedu" rides on Zwift last summer (or was it the summer of '21?) and got an absolute ribbing off many riders. Strange how when I remember to look, he is no longer signed up as ride leader. :D

Are you sure? He was regularly riding the Wedu events during 2022.
    Wedu is him and his mates.
  • Lance took part in the "Wedu" rides on Zwift last summer (or was it the summer of '21?) and got an absolute ribbing off many riders. Strange how when I remember to look, he is no longer signed up as ride leader. :D

Are you sure? He was regularly riding the Wedu events during 2022.
    Wedu is him and his mates.
    I don't remember to randomly look at Wedu rides frequently, but when I do, he wasn't signed up at the time of looking.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ddraver
    Hooooly Moly what a thread resurection Paul....
    - @ddraver