The official TrainerRoad thread

Comments

• suddons
    suddons Posts: 67
    Hello All,

New to TR and have a question, for my workouts I am running a Tacx Neo to at (offline - I live in the French countryside with a dial up speeds) Laptop to run Trainer Road, Erg mode is on, but I am finding that to hit my power targets I am having to maintain cadence of circa 105, luckily my my preferred cadence is round 97, but for longer intervals its not ideal, for example today I had Taku (work-out) and I had to be in the big ring at the bottom of the block to maintain the power baring in mind this should be 50% - 65% FTP work out.

So, to get to the point, I would like a little more resistants, so I can sit an 97 (ish) and hit the power numbers, I have tried
    disabling Erg, but I find the manual resistance way to sensitive plus this would need re-setting every workout as default seems to be Erg mode.

Any ideas, user error ? ? ? ?

Thank you . .
  • Rossos
    Rossos Posts: 7
    I have a free trial going if anyone has missed out & is still interested.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Quick question - I'm doing the Marmotte again in July so planning my sessions around that.

Have completed sweet spot base 1 and half way through 2 and will then do the sustained power build plan. For the last speciality phase, is there anything to choose between Rolling Road Race and Century?
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Hi – just started to use Trainerroad and have noticed that when my session is complete and uploaded automatically to Strava, the miles does not count in my overall statistics. Not a great problem and I know some will claim that turbo miles are not “real” miles but I have always found it use full to have a count of all the miles I do in one place.

Only way around it I can see is to switch the automatic upload off in Trainer Road and have my Garmin on and upload from there, but am I missing something – is there another way?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Kim10 wrote:
    Hi – just started to use Trainerroad and have noticed that when my session is complete and uploaded automatically to Strava, the miles does not count in my overall statistics. Not a great problem and I know some will claim that turbo miles are not “real” miles but I have always found it use full to have a count of all the miles I do in one place.

Only way around it I can see is to switch the automatic upload off in Trainer Road and have my Garmin on and upload from there, but am I missing something – is there another way?

This must be a setting, as my TR mileage updates into my Strava stats.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    narbs wrote:
    Quick question - I'm doing the Marmotte again in July so planning my sessions around that.

Have completed sweet spot base 1 and half way through 2 and will then do the sustained power build plan. For the last speciality phase, is there anything to choose between Rolling Road Race and Century?
    The climbing road race might be more appropriate to the Marmotte? Apparently a bit more focussed on longer climbs than rolling road race.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    narbs wrote:

The climbing road race might be more appropriate to the Marmotte? Apparently a bit more focussed on longer climbs than rolling road race.

Quite right, I'm a fool :)

I meant I can't choose between Climbing Race and Century.
  • Beatmaker
    I have another free trial here if anyone needs one.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    narbs wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    narbs wrote:

Quite right, I'm a fool :)

I meant I can't choose between Climbing Race and Century.
    I would have thought climbing road race is perfect for the Marmotte - that's more or less what it was designed for.

Not that century will be bad.

40k TT wouldn't be awful either because it is all about sustaining power for a long period of time - exactly what you'll need on long alpine climbs......
  • Hi all

I'm still reading through this thread as much as I can (so if someone has asked a similar question i won't be offended if you just point me there), but I'm struggling to work out which intensity to go for! I'm 2 weeks into the Sweetspot Base Low Volume but keep looking at the Mid volume and wondering if I should go for that.

Normal week:
    Commute 4 times a week (20 mins each way) - total of c150TSS, but very much spread out so minimal impact in one go
    Ride outdoors once = either a more intense Richmond Park laps session (c1.5 hours), or a longer slow ride (c3 hours).

Now my question is, is it better to do:
    a) The full Low volume (2 mid week sessions plus one weekend), plus the above, and a low intensity session (if time permits, stolen from the mid volume), OR
    b) The mid volume session (3 mid week sessions), but replace one of the weekend workouts with my outdoor ride (the next question would be, which one?!).

Effectively, I imagine they would have similar TSS each week, but the difference is with a) i'm doiung a full program and adding to it, whereas with b) i'm replacing one of the rides. I can't work out which would be best :s When I compare the two, they have different sessions so I wonder if either one is better than the other.

Any help, much appreciated.
  • guv
    guv Posts: 3
    Beatmaker wrote:

If you've still got the free trial, I'd like to give it a go to speed my return from injury. Let me know and I'll PM you my details.

Thanks in advance,

Guv
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    LWlondon.

Without delving into what you are after for an end goal/ current fitness. If you wish to just improve your riding then don't kill off the ride you enjoy. For example (not a perfect one) My aim is to ensure that I can do big adventure rides at a good pace all for enjoyment with a little bit of racing. Because I ride my bike for fun/social at the weekend rather than to train for X, I often skip one of my three low volume sessions. However I do cherry pick the two I will do based on various factors (normally how hard was my Sunday ride). I know I don't have time for mid or high volume plans due to other sports and life factors so I don't try.

How tired do you feel at the end of each week (and over several weeks)?
    Do you have time for mid volume?
    Would it be better to do a +1 version of your two weekday TR ride? (this would be a good idea IMO)
    This would increase the stress factor but not impact on rides you may enjoy more.

Quality will matter more than quantity here and do not forget recovery matters massively.

Separate note.
    Spare month going here if anyone is interested
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Beatmaker
    guv wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

If you've still got the free trial, I'd like to give it a go to speed my return from injury. Let me know and I'll PM you my details.

Thanks in advance,

Guv

Hi Guv,

Yes, I have. PM me your name and email and I'll get the link sent.
  • Flâneur wrote:
    LWlondon.

Without delving into what you are after for an end goal/ current fitness. If you wish to just improve your riding then don't kill off the ride you enjoy. For example (not a perfect one) My aim is to ensure that I can do big adventure rides at a good pace all for enjoyment with a little bit of racing. Because I ride my bike for fun/social at the weekend rather than to train for X, I often skip one of my three low volume sessions. However I do cherry pick the two I will do based on various factors (normally how hard was my Sunday ride). I know I don't have time for mid or high volume plans due to other sports and life factors so I don't try.

How tired do you feel at the end of each week (and over several weeks)?
    Do you have time for mid volume?
    Would it be better to do a +1 version of your two weekday TR ride? (this would be a good idea IMO)
    This would increase the stress factor but not impact on rides you may enjoy more.

Quality will matter more than quantity here and do not forget recovery matters massively.

Separate note.
    Spare month going here if anyone is interested

Thanks for your help here BM! I think i've not been massively clear though, which isn't new for me.... ha.

In my head, picking been my two options won't actualy change the amount of indoor OR outdoor work I do. So in my head it's maybe down to semantics, I just wondered if anyone has asked it before. BAsically my two options:

Plan A (low):
    Mon - rest day
    Tues - Low volume ride 1
    Wed - Indoor ride (off plan - TSS builder)
    Thurs - Low volume ride 2
    Fri - rest day
    Sat - Low volume ride 3
    Sun - outdoor ride

Plan B (mid volume)
    Mon - rest day
    Tues - Mid volume ride 1
    Wed - Mid volume ride 2
    Thurs - Mid volume ride 3
    Fri - rest day
    Sat - Mid volume ride 4 OR outdoor ride
    Sun - opposite of Saturday (i.e. outdoor ride OR mid volume ride 5)

I guess the question boils down to is it better to do a full plan in addition to other rides, or should i do the medium plan, but replace one of the weekend rides with my outdoor ride.

I'm sure the answer will actually be.... nothing!
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    LWLondon

I'm doing the mid volume base I plan at the moment. In previous years I've done the low volume plans. If the weather is good at weekend, I do a replacement outdoor ride so my plan this year is similar to your option B. I listen to the TR podcast occasionally and they usually say to at least do the Tuesday and Thursday ride. The mid volume plan has harder workouts than low volume but they are all manageable. My advice would be to do the mid plan as I've noticed a good benefit of it and I'm 4 weeks in.

Also the TR guys are introducing a new feature soon which I suspect will be able to analyse outdoor rides if you sync with Strava or Garmin and count these towards your weekly TSS which will be very helpful for you. Don't know when this is going to be implemented but they keep mentioning it.
  • Hi all, I'm having problems connecting the Android TrainerRoad app on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to my Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ trainer. The devices tab in the app shows that the two are paired but nothing is coming through on the power or cadence reading when I begin pedalling bar the occassional change in random number in the cadence reading.

Has anyone else had problems setting an S7 up with an Ant+ sensor?

Regards

Angus
  • stueyboy wrote:
    LWLondon

I'm doing the mid volume base I plan at the moment. In previous years I've done the low volume plans. If the weather is good at weekend, I do a replacement outdoor ride so my plan this year is similar to your option B. I listen to the TR podcast occasionally and they usually say to at least do the Tuesday and Thursday ride. The mid volume plan has harder workouts than low volume but they are all manageable. My advice would be to do the mid plan as I've noticed a good benefit of it and I'm 4 weeks in.

Also the TR guys are introducing a new feature soon which I suspect will be able to analyse outdoor rides if you sync with Strava or Garmin and count these towards your weekly TSS which will be very helpful for you. Don't know when this is going to be implemented but they keep mentioning it.

Very interesting Stueyboy, thanks for that! Hopefully that additional feature comes out soon. From the sounds of it, as much as I don't look forward to "tougher" rides, Mid volume may be the way to go (although the wednesday TSS builder may occasionally be missed!)

How do you decide which of the weekend rides to "trade" for your outdoor ride?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    if you have the time (and mental ability) for the mid plan, then there is no reason why not. The only * I'd apply is to keep an eye on your performance trend to ensure you aren't overtraining.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • stueyboy
    LWLondon wrote:
    stueyboy wrote:
    LWLondon

Very interesting Stueyboy, thanks for that! Hopefully that additional feature comes out soon. From the sounds of it, as much as I don't look forward to "tougher" rides, Mid volume may be the way to go (although the wednesday TSS builder may occasionally be missed!)

How do you decide which of the weekend rides to "trade" for your outdoor ride?

I just skip whichever ride is scheduled for the day I ride outdoors. The Saturday ride is usually an over-under type workout and they are the ones which really make a difference to your fitness. I'm lucky enough to have a power meter on my bike and a computer which can measure TSS, so I usually make sure that I at least match the TSS requirements of the workout I'm skipping.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Anyone on here become a beta tester as mentioned in their podcast last week? Sounds like they are experimenting with a new way of assessing FTP - wonder if this is closer to sufferfests 4DP?
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Mapaputsi wrote:
    Anyone on here become a beta tester as mentioned in their podcast last week? Sounds like they are experimenting with a new way of assessing FTP - wonder if this is closer to sufferfests 4DP?

It's not like Sufferfest's 4DP, it's a basic ramp test to be used in place of the existing 8- or 20-min FTP tests with the aim of making testing less mentally and physically demanding and preventing the results from being influenced by pacing errors and fatigue.

If you search their workout library for "Ramp Test X" you can have a look at some people's efforts; basically you have a quick 4 min warm up, then start at ~50% of your FTP and raise it 6% every-minute-on-the-minute... hang on for as long you can! At the moment it sounds as though they're still fine-tuning/validating exactly how FTP is calculated from the results, but the feedback from users seems very positive.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Mapaputsi wrote:

It's not like Sufferfest's 4DP, it's a basic ramp test to be used in place of the existing 8- or 20-min FTP tests with the aim of making testing less mentally and physically demanding and preventing the results from being influenced by pacing errors and fatigue.

If you search their workout library for "Ramp Test X" you can have a look at some people's efforts; basically you have a quick 4 min warm up, then start at ~50% of your FTP and raise it 6% every-minute-on-the-minute... hang on for as long you can! At the moment it sounds as though they're still fine-tuning/validating exactly how FTP is calculated from the results, but the feedback from users seems very positive.

Interesting - so for this one you just leave your trainer in ERG mode, and it takes you through the incremental increases until you can go no more. Might give this a go once I have this s0dding cold out of the way properly.

But at present (I've missed recent podcasts) they are not able to produce an FTP from it, from what you have written above - wonder how long it will take them to come up with that measurement and how it presents it. Perhaps it will simply be one or more likely several of the steps from around your current FTP averaged out using an algorithm of some kind?

VERY (to me) interesting development IF they can make it work reliably. I will be watching that space.

EDIT: Just noticed you did not say it was not calculated, and looking at past ride comments it does seem to say it is outputting a figure already, so they must be reasonably confident in it, or I guess it is in the Beta phase as it were.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yes, so there are more details on the Facebook group, but basically they said they're aiming to have 500 people run the test to validate their current FTP calculations from the test protocol. Their currently posting a comment on each activity, stating the FTP calculated from the activity data, but obviously they want to automate this process before it goes mainstream.

I'm of the opinion that maximal efforts at a variety of durations are more informative, but I can see the benefit of a quick and easy(ish) test.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Very interesting, if they can get this test validated to give you an accurate FTP it would be very useful. I find the 2 x 8min test I use currently so brutal I actually get nervous on the days leading up to it :lol:
  • stueyboy
    Looks interesting. These guys do something similar to assess FTP and they have a calculator link as well but they prefer 3 minute steps to gain more of a feel for aerobic endurance.
    https://online.thecyclinggym.com/articles/determining-your-training-zones
  • Beatmaker
    I hope they implement this in the next 4 weeks, thats how far I am away from my next FTP test and already dreading it!
  • stueyboy
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I hope they implement this in the next 4 weeks, thats how far I am away from my next FTP test and already dreading it!

Next 2 weeks would be better for me. However, if you do the test, someone at TR will post your FTP calculated from it in a comment under your workout, so hoping they will still be doing that.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Just requested to join the beta group - think that means they will chip in with an FTP figure at some point after the fact.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you use the Ramp X they say just multiply the figure to top out at by 0.77 and this would be your ftp but they will comment on your ride to give your ftp. I have a new trainer arriving soon so will give this a try
  • Love the RampX, so so so much nicer than the 8/20 min tests. One tip I think I messed up, really focus on keeping your cadence up. I was "spinning"/churning at around 70 rpm by the end which didn't help. I like to think if I'd been spinning a bitmore I had maybe anothe rminute in me. It seems pretty accurate as well.

Question for the masses (or if you have seen this answered elsewhere, please link!). I work out at 6am, about 10/15mins after getting up - I only normally have an espresso before I start, and sip water throughout. While I can just about handle this now for sweetspot work, i'm sure as I get to more Vo2 max intervals this may be a struggle! Any tips/thoughts?