The official TrainerRoad thread

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    azzurri78 wrote:
    Currently using the wattbike at work and been using a printout of zwift workouts to complete a workout and save on the wattbike app.

Bit of a faff so thinking of starting to use trainerroad. Only have 45 mins to do the workout so my questions are, on average, how long are the workouts? Thinking an hour? So, hopefully, can you skip forward when you are part way through an interval or recovery period? This way I could bring the workout time down to something I could fit in.

FWIW - Would be using the iOS app.

There are lots of 45 minute workouts on TR. If you're following a plan you can normally find a 45 minute version of whatever workout is assigned (particularly the 1hr ones) or at least one which is a similar type of workout.

You don't need to follow one of their plans if you don't want, you can just follow your own plan of 45 minute workouts if you want.

I do quite a few 45 mins ones as it's a convenient length to do in a lunch break etc.
  • bobmcstuff
    Also, there's usually free trials going on here if you want to check how it works before you sign up. In fact I think I have one.
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    Thanks. That's very useful to know about the 45 mins workout. Think I will sign up. If not breaking any t's and C's, would be grateful for the code.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Just done the Ramp X test, it’s certainly a lot better than the 8 or 20 min tests! First workout on my new Direto, I’ve calculated my FTP to be around 185 according max 1 min power. Considering I’ve only done 25 miles since November last year, and am still recovering from pneumonia I’m happy with that!

It’s also made it clear that the power curve on my old Elite Qubo was substantially out, as the highest my FTP ever was when I used TR with that was 196w and I was much, much fitter then than I am now. I always suspected it was under-reading but wasn’t really bothered as long as it was consistent.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I have a couple more month free trials going begging if anyones interested, just DM me your name and email address.
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    It’s also made it clear that the power curve on my old Elite Qubo was substantially out, as the highest my FTP ever was when I used TR with that was 196w and I was much, much fitter then than I am now. I always suspected it was under-reading but wasn’t really bothered as long as it was consistent.
    I'm using a Qubo and I agree that the power curve isn't very accurate. My FTP based on the 8-minute test is 170, but Strava tells me that I am averaging somewhere around 230 on some longer climbs in the Peak District. This isn't a major problem from a training point of view as the programmes are based on % of your FTP and I should just ignore it but it is a bit annoying. A friend has a Wattbike and I'm going to give the 20 minute FTP test a go on that soon to settle the matter once and for all.

What is more annoying is that I think that the resistance on the Qubo is sensitive to the temperature. Mostly I have been doing my sessions in the kitchen at about 18C, but I did a session on the patio the other day when the air temp was about 5C and I wasn't able to maintain the power, though to be fair this was the day after a 104 mile ride mostly in the Peaks.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Couple of free month trials going here also. DM me your full name and email address
  • norvernrob
    NorvernRob wrote:
    I'm using a Qubo and I agree that the power curve isn't very accurate. My FTP based on the 8-minute test is 170, but Strava tells me that I am averaging somewhere around 230 on some longer climbs in the Peak District. This isn't a major problem from a training point of view as the programmes are based on % of your FTP and I should just ignore it but it is a bit annoying. A friend has a Wattbike and I'm going to give the 20 minute FTP test a go on that soon to settle the matter once and for all.

What is more annoying is that I think that the resistance on the Qubo is sensitive to the temperature. Mostly I have been doing my sessions in the kitchen at about 18C, but I did a session on the patio the other day when the air temp was about 5C and I wasn't able to maintain the power, though to be fair this was the day after a 104 mile ride mostly in the Peaks.

The head unit on my Qubo always read around 10% lower power than the power that TR calculated from the curve, but I too thought that temperature made a difference. I get really hot, I train in a small outbuilding (brick shed!) and have the door wide open so it’s very cold in there.

The Direto seems to be excellent, I bought it on the strength of all the reviews and how accurate the built in PM is.
  • Quick question for anyone who's used the new Ramp Test.

It seems from other discussions that the result FTP is meant to be 0.76 x max 1-minute power.

Yesterday I did a test, So the last interval I completed had target 280W, which I did a little bit more than the target.. The next 1 minute interval was target 292W and I managed that for about 15 seconds.
    So I had
    - maximum 1 minute power was 287W
    - average power of the complete 1 minute I achieved was 284W
    - target power of the complete 1 minute interview I achieved was 280W

So they sent me an email saying the new FTP is 213W. That means it is 0.76 x 280W and not the higher number.
    I had the same kind of results a few weeks ago where my resultant FTP was 0.76 x the target power of the toughest 1-minute interval completed.

Does that seem about right for anyone else?

I understand that this shouldn't matter too much - the idea is to get a guideline FTP for workouts, and that you should adjust the actual intensity so that the over-unders can be completed but that they are "uncomfortably uncomfortable". But it seems a bit odd that the results doesn't matter if you fail 10 seconds or 50 seconds into an interval.
  • Yeah I'm in a similar boat as you. The gave me my ftp result yesterday which was 8 watts lower than i would have got if i'd used their recommended .76 x max 1min wattage. Not sure how they factor it.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Yeah I'm in a similar boat as you. The gave me my ftp result yesterday which was 8 watts lower than i would have got if i'd used their recommended .76 x max 1min wattage. Not sure how they factor it.

I recall that they said the algorithm is a bit smarter than just CP1 * 0.76. I'd imagine there is some sort of normalisation to ensure that a last moment standing stomp at 600W+ doesn't skew the final FTP.

The beauty of the ramp test is you can repeat it a couple of days later and see if the results are repeatable.
  • Toyman
    Toyman Posts: 12
    I do believe Ramp test is a godsend, at least for me. I realize I didn't know how to test properly so I thought my FTP was 185 based on 2x8 FTP test I did 6 weeks ago.

After completing the Ramp my FTP is 225 now. I am sure only 10% of that increase comes from training, and 90% - from proper testing.

I still hesitate whether this FTP represents my true capabilities, but yesterday I've completed 3x12 over-unders.

That was HARD, but manageable (given I am still alive). Based on that I conclude the new FTP is about right, or at least much closer to my real one than previous estimate.
  • norvernrob
    I wondered if they’d changed the calculation to .75. My max 1 min power was 240w, and my ftp came back at 180w. Which I’m deliriously happy about, considering I’ve done 25 miles since last November and spent 5 weeks off work with pneumonia throughout Jan and Feb!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    NorvernRob wrote:
    I wondered if they’d changed the calculation to .75. My max 1 min power was 240w, and my ftp came back at 180w. Which I’m deliriously happy about, considering I’ve done 25 miles since last November and spent 5 weeks off work with pneumonia throughout Jan and Feb!

TR state it's still 0.76 - but clearly there's a bit of finessing taking place that's not being spelled out. There probably has to be otherwise could just have someone on a non-erg trainer just caning it in one of the very early minutes to generate a humongous max 1 min power number but which would be no basis for a representative FTP figure if just calc'd as max 1 min power * 0.76!
  • I'm somewhat late to the TrainerRoad party, but recently bought myself a Tacx Neo which I'm very impressed with. Currently working my way through the low volume base program and am surprised how engaging the workouts can be.

Fitness pretty crappy at the moment, so the 20min FTP wasn't fun especially as I completely over-cooked the 5min clearing effort. Anyway, I am hoping for some decent improvements by the time the next test comes around.
  • I'm somewhat late to the TrainerRoad party, but recently bought myself a Tacx Neo which I'm very impressed with. Currently working my way through the low volume base program and am surprised how engaging the workouts can be.

Fitness pretty crappy at the moment, so the 20min FTP wasn't fun especially as I completely over-cooked the 5min clearing effort. Anyway, I am hoping for some decent improvements by the time the next test comes around.

If you think you botched the 20minute test because you didn’t have a baseline to begin with you can try the workout called “Ramp Test X” (manually load the workout and follow the instructions, don’t warm up or do any other workout beforehand).

You won’t get an FTP result immediate but the TR team will attach it in the “comments” section of the workout.

It’s a much easier test to start with if you don’t have a baseline especially with the Neo as all you have to do is pedal until you stop.
  • Thanks - I saw the dialogue on "Ramp Test X", and will probably have a go at that at some stage, but I have unfinished business with the 20 minute FTP! I know it's not pleasant but omlettes and eggs and all that.
  • bobmcstuff
    2x8 might be a bit more manageable too
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Anyone else having trouble syncing Strava rides? They used to show up in my history feed automatically (since the feature was enabled) but now don't and I can't import them manually either.

TR support have also gone quiet, which is unusual for them.
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    No, but was having issues with them syncing to Training Peaks, but a quick toggle of the sync options (on the web version) seemed to do the trick for me. Support have responded to my recent queries quick enough. Have you tried FB'ing them?
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    No, but was having issues with them syncing to Training Peaks, but a quick toggle of the sync options (on the web version) seemed to do the trick for me. Support have responded to my recent queries quick enough. Have you tried FB'ing them?

I emailed them this morning so I'll give them 24 hours before I chase again, but will try FB, cheers.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    handful wrote:
    I got the email from TR about sufferfest but did A Very Dark Place this morning with no issues. Confused? Will it work until I update the app on my laptop or something?
    - Just had a look, and none of the workouts look to be there now. :(
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • Toyman
    Toyman Posts: 12
    I've got free trial month
    Just PM me
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Major Updates in the TrainerRoad camp, including integrating outdoor rides!
  • snappygear
    snappygear Posts: 212

This is a massive positive! Means I'll be able to incorporate my outdoor efforts to get a true overall view of my training. I use a Power Meter so hoping this development takes TR to a whole new level for me now.

Sad, but true.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Has anyone on here ever competed any of the high volume plans on TR? Was looking through them the other day after the update and they look pretty brutal. I did a mid volume base & build this year but even then trying to squeeze in 5 workouts a week was difficult, particularly the 2 hour ones at the weekends.
  • Mapaputsi wrote:
    Has anyone on here ever competed any of the high volume plans on TR? Was looking through them the other day after the update and they look pretty brutal. I did a mid volume base & build this year but even then trying to squeeze in 5 workouts a week was difficult, particularly the 2 hour ones at the weekends.

High Volume sweetspot base I and II last spring and summer in preparation for CX Season.
    Managed to get back to my previous best ever 20min power from a few years before which was achieved then on a short term unsustainable Vo2 barrage. So i was quite excited I had managed to get there again using just Sweetspot work.

I didnt manage to progress from there and perversely, whilst my season went pretty decently, it wasn't a patch on the previous year when I hardly trained at all but raced better :roll:
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    Mapaputsi wrote:

They are meant to be a stretch :wink:

Having said that I did complete one, now on my second, but they are all I do (swapping the occasional session for an outside ride), and nothing else, so if you commute any distance on top you might struggle. When I was racing on zwift once or twice a week during the winter it was too much and the racing got canned.
  • snappygear
    snappygear Posts: 212
    snappygear wrote:

This is a massive positive! Means I'll be able to incorporate my outdoor efforts to get a true overall view of my training. I use a Power Meter so hoping this development takes TR to a whole new level for me now.

Sad, but true.

Great while it lasted... todays ride didn't sync for some reason.
  • bobmcstuff
    Bit annoying that it is syncing all my outdoor rides with 0 TSS (no powermeter).

Seems like a good feature though, clearly I just need to buy a powermeter :D