TDF Stage 16 *SPOILER*

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    F Sky. Hate the fact Rogers and Porte can stay with these group. In fact it is downright odd......

the same porte and rodgers who are out the back every other year and now suddenly up the front....smoke,mirrors,fire etc etc

That would be Richie Porte, best young rider at the Giro a couple of years ago... nope, no climbing talent there.

Whilst riding for the staunchly anti-doping DS, Bjarne Riis :mrgreen:

Porte and Rogers can put more into staying with the sky group than Evans can, if Cadel isn't feeling great and then puts 100% into staying in the first group, he loses time hand over fist. But once Porte and Rogers get dropped from the Sky group, they can soft pedal to the finish line.

At least, that's the way I see it
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    So evans clearly couldn't attack, even if he wanted to.

So we're watching this stage and praying for Nibali to do something special. That's all that is left for GC racing this year..

:(
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    CN race forum:
    Breaking news: Gabrovski (who surprisingly won the MTF in Tour of Turkey by 5 minutes or so) won't be seen in a bike race for at least 2 years!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    afx237vi wrote:
    <stir>

Porte's ride in the Giro was somewhat over-inflated by the 40 minute head-start he got because of the Aquila stage, no?

</stir>

Good stirring
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    i said it in an earlier quote....ok if were splitting hairs i said he's done nothing of note in the tour....and yes he's ridden the giro.....so did Evgeny berzin and what happened to him ?

He won best young rider in the Giro as a neo pro! Are you telling me that is no reliable indicator of climbing talent?

I think JezMon has the right of this, tactically. Their job is to muller themselves for as long as they can.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheBigBean wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    <stir>

Porte's ride in the Giro was somewhat over-inflated by the 40 minute head-start he got because of the Aquila stage, no?

</stir>

Good stirring

He's two years older, and he's not exactly dropping Nibs is he?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    So when do we reckon the first post "blaming" Sky for daring to ride will be? Surely they should just give up and let everyone else attack no?

1506 from Mr Kanto!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    So when do we reckon the first post "blaming" Sky for daring to ride will be? Surely they should just give up and let everyone else attack no?

1506 from Mr Kanto!

I think FF got there first...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited July 2012
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    i said it in an earlier quote....ok if were splitting hairs i said he's done nothing of note in the tour....and yes he's ridden the giro.....so did Evgeny berzin and what happened to him ?

He won best young rider in the Giro as a neo pro! Are you telling me that is no reliable indicator of climbing talent?
    think JezMon has the right of this, tactically. Their job is to muller themselves for as long as they can.
    And they hadn't actually mullered themselves today up until Basso picked up the pace for 20 mins or so then eased back off.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    There you have it - you wonder why grand tour racing is boring the T*ts off a few people......Wiggins & Rodgers talking into the radio "What do you want me to do now boss" ....Best "Sportive" ive ever seen this year.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    kanto wrote:
    F Sky. Hate the fact Rogers and Porte can stay with these group. In fact it is downright odd......

Couldn't agree more. On stages like this, people like Porte and Rogers should only be setting up the stage, and we should get some serious riding from the other riders. Its just soft-pedalling the whole damn time. Evans has always struggled in the mountains during the tough stages, and when the big riders get firing, so it isn't anything new to see him struggling this year when he isn't in top form. Evans has always been a decent, but not a great climber, but at least he has shown some attacking spirit and fight during the tour. This whole Sky thing is utter crap, and this is the most boring TDF I've ever seen. If this is the way cycling is going, I doubt it is worth watching when you don't have riders like Contador, Schleck, Sanchez, Gesink, etc.

At least Voeckler has been lighting things up again. This whole tour will be remembered for the stage wins, as the GC battle has been a non event.

I really don't get that - Sky are in 1st and 2nd on the GC, they don't need to attack and show 'panache' the criticism should surely be levelled at BMC, Liquigas, Lotto etc. as they are the ones who need to make up time. Or would you rather Sky attack just to make it better TV only to blow up and give the win away? People don't half spout some crap on this forum at times.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    There you have it - you wonder why grand tour racing is boring the T*ts off a few people......Wiggins & Rodgers talking into the radio "What do you want me to do now boss" ....Best "Sportive" ive ever seen this year.

Switch it off then.

@gietvangent
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Cavendish is more irritating than voeckler

Cavendish's default mode is irritating.

Voeckler is amazing. And I wish commentators would STOP SAYING little Tommy Vockler. :evil:
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If this is the way cycling is going, I doubt it is worth watching when you don't have riders like Contador, Schleck, Sanchez, Gesink, etc.

Hopefully everyone'll start doping again, then we can watch some exciting riding.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Why did Liquigas do a load of work, thin the field right out then take their foot off the gas and let them all back on again?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,403
    Some people have selective memories - over the last 20 years, or 30 years, has the yellow jersey been won by less than 3 minutes?
    I don't recall there ever being more than 2 or 3 contenders by the start of the last week of the tour, and usually it's largely a done deal by the second rest day.

This idea of GC contenders attacking each other left right and centre is the cycling equivalent of a wet dream. :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    CN race forum:
    Breaking news: Gabrovski (who surprisingly won the MTF in Tour of Turkey by 5 minutes or so) won't be seen in a bike race for at least 2 years!

LOL

The Lion!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hang on, only partly paying attention.

Is that Vino>?!?!
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Mechanical riders making a mockery of the sport. The only justice of this tour would be to let Froome attack Wiggins. GC winner has already been decided, it is him or Wiggins, so let the true winner be decided between the two. No way any rider is going to gain enough time to offset the time Froome and Wiggins will take back in the pan flat TT, so I want to see Froome allowed to attack.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hang on, only partly paying attention.

Is that Vino>?!?!

Yep
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Voeckler is amazing. And I wish commentators would STOP SAYING little Tommy Vockler. :evil:

...and I wish he would stop pulling faces like his sh1t is coming out sideways , but we can't have everything can we?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Pross wrote:
    kanto wrote:

Couldn't agree more. On stages like this, people like Porte and Rogers should only be setting up the stage, and we should get some serious riding from the other riders. Its just soft-pedalling the whole damn time. Evans has always struggled in the mountains during the tough stages, and when the big riders get firing, so it isn't anything new to see him struggling this year when he isn't in top form. Evans has always been a decent, but not a great climber, but at least he has shown some attacking spirit and fight during the tour. This whole Sky thing is utter crap, and this is the most boring TDF I've ever seen. If this is the way cycling is going, I doubt it is worth watching when you don't have riders like Contador, Schleck, Sanchez, Gesink, etc.

At least Voeckler has been lighting things up again. This whole tour will be remembered for the stage wins, as the GC battle has been a non event.

I really don't get that - Sky are in 1st and 2nd on the GC, they don't need to attack and show 'panache' the criticism should surely be levelled at BMC, Liquigas, Lotto etc. as they are the ones who need to make up time. Or would you rather Sky attack just to make it better TV only to blow up and give the win away? People don't half spout some crap on this forum at times.
    Spot on. Why would Sky do any different? It's up to the other GC contenders to take it to Sky. They keep talking about isolating Wiggins, I haven't seen them even try. It might be boring for some but to blame Sky for that is letting a whole load of other people off the hook.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

S'funny how most of the peleton see it the other way around.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    styxd wrote:
    If this is the way cycling is going, I doubt it is worth watching when you don't have riders like Contador, Schleck, Sanchez, Gesink, etc.

Hopefully everyone'll start doping again, then we can watch some exciting riding.

Well to be fair to Frank, he's way ahead of you there! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    Nibs has to try something if he's not riding for 3rd, surely.

@gietvangent
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Pross wrote:
    kanto wrote:

This. Liquigas just had Evans out the back wwith 40km to go on a 1st cat climb and let him get back on. With the long TT to come, they possibly just gave up a podium, by being too lazy to puch the pace. Evans might pop again and they'll get away with it, but maybe he won't.

Why do Sky get the criticism?
  • Go Popeye !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    kanto wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Mechanical riders making a mockery of the sport. The only justice of this tour would be to let Froome attack Wiggins. GC winner has already been decided, it is him or Wiggins, so let the true winner be decided between the two. No way any rider is going to gain enough time to offset the time Froome and Wiggins will take back in the pan flat TT, so I want to see Froome allowed to attack.

Think were in a minority kanto - merckx & Hinault etc must be Nodding off by now ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz
  • ddraver
    edited July 2012
    Wiggins is hardly pedalling at all here, yet still Liquigas are sitting behind them. How much slower would you like Sky to be going boys?
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    As I predicted, Nibali content to defend his podium position and perhaps win the stage.

Skys tactics are boring, but it's not their fault that the race has been boring. Such a shame that Evans hasn't got the legs, I was really hoping for a Wiggins/Evans duel this year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)