TDF Stage 16 *SPOILER*

ilm_zero7
ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
edited July 2012 in Pro race
well someone had to start a thread...

a real sort the men out from the boys day today - if wiggins comes through this he is a secure as he could have possibly ever dreamed of being, surely?
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• Stage 16 weather. Hot!. Up to 33c.

stage16-pyrenees-july-2012-.jpg
    Vélo Peloton Pyrénées Café and Bike Rental
    https://pyreneesrental.bike
    https://velopeloton.com/
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I doubt the peloton will be stopping for a pee today.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    2012_tour_de_france_stage15_pierrick_fedrigo_wins1a.jpg

2012_tour_de_france_stage15_froome_wiggins_evans1a.jpg

2012_tour_de_france_stage16_profile.gif
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The drags inbetween the climbs are pretty sapping too. I'd say realistically nothing will happen with the big names untill the Peyresourde. Too much time between the Aspin and the Peyresourde to be on your own.
  • rick_chasey
    And I'd imagine all polka dot contenders will be in the break today. If they're not they're done in the competition.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Is this the stage Mr Hoogerland said he would be going for?
  • rick_chasey
    MrTapir wrote:
    Is this the stage Mr Hoogerland said he would be going for?

Unfortunately not. That was the stage to Foix.

He was not in the break.

He's running out of chances.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    The non-Sky GC contenders surely have to try something today to break Brad & Froome, and then go again tomorrow.
    The next 36 hours will determine whether Brad wins or not.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    The last bit of the Peyresourde is pretty steep isn't it? I'm guessing that is where Nibali will attack, and try and extend any lead on the descent
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    on Tuesday Wiggins received Indurain’s personal neckerchief, which the legendary Basque uses when running the bulls in Pamplona. It had a good luck message written on it. Wiggins’s joy and pride was unconfined and will be scarcely matched if he wins on Sunday.

Ain't that nice?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Crozza wrote:
    The last bit of the Peyresourde is pretty steep isn't it? I'm guessing that is where Nibali will attack, and try and extend any lead on the descent

If he just wants to win the stage and seal a podium spot then yes (assuming the break isn't still up the road). The descent is not particularly technical though so he'll need a decent gap over the top to stay away.

I am hoping that Evans, Nibali and Vdb will all have a go, don't think the overall will change much though, unless Wiggins has "un jour sans".
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    It's all reasonably steep apart from the bit between 6.5 and 8km into it, where it levels out a bit.

Only a bit.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Will be watching, of course, but fear it will be a bit of a damp squib. We'll see.

In some ways, I'd like to see a bit of treachery from Froome. Might spice things up a little.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    jim453 wrote:
    In some ways, I'd like to see a bit of treachery from Froome. Might spice things up a little.

I think it's extremely unlikely (unless Wiggins is really having a bad day), but you're right though, it would completely make the race as a spectacle. Imagine if Froome and Wiggins were within 30 seconds of each other going into the final TT....

As I said though, won't happen.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Shame green is sown up.

The sprint point is just before the Aubisque....
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    And I'd imagine all polka dot contenders will be in the break today. If they're not they're done in the competition.

I need to choose between Voeckler and Rolland for fantasy cycling...

Rolland is better placed for the Polka Dot so I'm leaning towards him being in the break as he isn't too far behind Kessiakoff.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Secretly hoping that Wiggins has a desire to win with some panache, and also put Froomy in his place, and will attack the last select group at the bottom of the last climb. He will gain only a few seconds, but muchos respecto

#wishfulthinking
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Looking forward to watching the descents off the Aubisque & Tourmalet. I've done them both and they're great fun. Did the Tourmalet in the dark 2 years ago after Etape du Tour. Most exciting ride of my life.

Watching Thor go down the Aubisque towards his victory last year was riveting. Let's hope the breakaway attack their way down both.
  • rick_chasey
    Alan A wrote:
    Looking forward to watching the descents off the Aubisque & Tourmalet. I've done them both and they're great fun. Did the Tourmalet in the dark 2 years ago after Etape du Tour. Most exciting ride of my life.

Watching Thor go down the Aubisque towards his victory last year was riveting. Let's hope the breakaway attack their way down both.

Hope they don't encounter a load of cows in the middle of the road like I did.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I am hoping for a race actually contended by the GC today on this stage.. and not just let a break go and sweep up 1 2 3 over the line or whatever...
    this is NOt because I have PTPd Nibali today :wink:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Crozza wrote:
    Secretly hoping that Wiggins has a desire to win with some panache, and also put Froomy in his place, and will attack the last select group at the bottom of the last climb. He will gain only a few seconds, but muchos respecto

#wishfulthinking

Probably not today, but wouldn't be surprised if he wins tomorrow.
    exercise.png
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    This won't be the stage, tomorrow is more likely to have a greater effect on the result. Think that we will see Nibali and Van Den Broeck try something, maybe Evans put a really big attack in from a long way out. But if Sky ride as well as they have been and as descent off the final climb isn't very technical, then we won't see huge time gaps if any.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Alan A wrote:

Hope they don't encounter a load of cows in the middle of the road like I did.

Or a steep section so recently resurfaced there was steam coming off the fresh tar like I did... The way up was like the 1920s too, as they'd chipped all the old surfacing off!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The drags inbetween the climbs are pretty sapping too. I'd say realistically nothing will happen with the big names untill the Peyresourde. Too much time between the Aspin and the Peyresourde to be on your own.

12km - downhill! Its doable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    on Tuesday Wiggins received Indurain’s personal neckerchief, which the legendary Basque uses when running the bulls in Pamplona. It had a good luck message written on it. Wiggins’s joy and pride was unconfined and will be scarcely matched if he wins on Sunday.

Ain't that nice?

Photo in rest day thread if you want to see.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    The only question is whether these people soft-tap again or ride like champions.

I think we can only count on Nibali and JVB. Hopefully EBH, Rogers and Porte have defaillance before the Aspin.

6739917_orig.jpg?417
    original.jpg?1341606429
    bahamontes.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    The only question is whether these people soft-tap again or ride like champions.

I think we can only count on Nibali and JVB. Hopefully EBH, Rogers and Porte have defaillance before the Aspin.

6739917_orig.jpg?417
    original.jpg?1341606429
    bahamontes.jpg

Sadly Nibali and JVB are too far down. The only hope is that Froome grows some balls and rips Wiggins apart, like we know he could. Otherwise, we will have had the worst TDF which has most likely been raced.
  • rick_chasey
    Would be quite funny if after all this Wiggins goes and bosses the mountains.

Can't see it happening mind.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Already 30C in Pau, according to France 2.
    I worry that the forecast heat may effect Wiggins.
    They are off!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.