TDF Stage 16 *SPOILER*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Well done TV, always good to see a rider go early and get the win. Knee recovered nicely after the first rest day.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited July 2012
    Pross wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Fair enough to Nibs.

He's doing the best he can.

I guess he needs time on the people behind for the TT.

I did say on the Tourmalet this was going to be a borefest...

You'l get slaughtered by the "Radio Controlled Racing Fanboys" now for saying that !!!!

Fark me, that '84 Tour video must have been short - you're back already!

No wonder he think it was so great! The Video condenses 2-3000km's into the length of time it takes TommyV to descend the Peyresourde! Hell, even the twilight films would be good if you did that!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Pross wrote:
    Well done TV, always good to see a rider go early and get the win. Knee recovered nicely after the first rest day.

I wish I had Tommy's "knee problems"!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Unfortunately domination is rarely exciting.
    Rich
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Has Evans finished yet?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    I'm hoping Nibs goes at the start of the final climb tomorrow and that Wiggins and Froome chase with Froome cracking and losing 30 seconds just to see what certain people say (probably "it's because he has had to do so much work while Wiggins sat there doing nothing").
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Evans has dropped o seventh place, at 8:05 behind Wiggins
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Someone somewhere had some money at 33/1 on Holywood...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Carlton going a bit off-message, there: "This is the Sky warm-down... almost as interesting as the race itself..."

Put him in the Tower!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It was nice to see the Blueberry Farmer causing some damage today, I will give the stage that
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Has Evans finished yet?

Who knows? ES coverage stopped the second the VDB group came in which seemed odd as they were saying the stage was ahead of schedule!

How much did he lose? It was about 4 minutes at the top of the climb wasn't it?
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    It was nice to see the Blueberry Farmer causing some damage today, I will give the stage that

Oi! Stop it :P
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's done. The race was over last Monday.
    Or definitely when Cadel faltered 6kms from La Toussiure. I was astonished to see him (at 4kms to go) almost a minute down. I'd assumed in the excitement he simply passed unnoticed in a group. I think of all the others he was the one rider on paper who ought to have been a challenge to Wiggins and someone who sky were wary of, yet he simply hasn't got the form this year.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Day after rest day again, another excellent ride by TV Tommy. He really knows how to effectively use the rest day, that's for sure....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:
    Has Evans finished yet?

Who knows? ES coverage stopped the second the VDB group came in which seemed odd as they were saying the stage was ahead of schedule!

How much did he lose? It was about 4 minutes at the top of the climb wasn't it?

It was on TdF Extra on whatever ES feed I'm watching - He was a long long way back, can't remember how much I confess. There's some proper gimp behind the shot at LMNH! Bless him!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Le Commentateur
    afx237vi wrote:
    Carlton going a bit off-message, there: "This is the Sky warm-down... almost as interesting as the race itself..."

Put him in the Tower!
    For all the moaners, he's probably spot on!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Where were Pinot and TJVG?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Day after rest day again, another excellent ride by TV Tommy. He really knows how to effectively use the rest day, that's for sure....
    He's the new Virenque!
  • rick_chasey
    If anyone is lamenting the dullness of Tours (Don't say I didn't warn you) feel free to PM me for some classics therapy.

You'll all come round one day ;).
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    edited July 2012
    Fabian Cancellara and 7 seconds preventing Wiggins from joining the elite group of Ottavio Bottecchia, Nicolas Frantz and Romain Maes. Probably.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2012
    General Classification after Stage 16
    GBR 1 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) 74:15:32
    GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 2:05
    ITA 3 NIBALI, Vincenzo (LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE) + 2:23
    BEL 4 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 5:46
    ESP 5 ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, Haimar (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 7:13 :shock:
    USA 6 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 7:55
    AUS 7 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 8:06
    SLO 8 BRAJKOVIC, Janez (ASTANA) + 9:09
    FRA 9 ROLLAND, Pierre (EUROPCAR) + 10:10
    FRA 10 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ-BIG MAT) + 11:43
    IRL 11 ROCHE, Nicolas (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 11:47
    GER 12 KLÖDEN, Andreas (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 13:14
    USA 13 HORNER, Christopher (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 13:39
    DEN 14 SÖRENSEN, Chris Anker (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK) + 14:43
    RUS 15 MENCHOV, Denis (KATUSHA) + 21:06
    BEL 16 MONFORT, Maxime (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 21:26
    ESP 17 MARTINEZ DE ESTEBAN, Egoi (EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI) + 21:41
    POR 18 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (MOVISTAR) + 22:47
    RUS 19 VORGANOV, Eduard (KATUSHA) + 24:20
    ESP 20 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 33:57
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    GC now:

Result
    1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 74:15:32
    2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:02:05
    3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:02:23
    4 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol Team 0:05:46
    5 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:07:13
    6 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:07:55
    7 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:08:06
    8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:09:09
    9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:10:10
    10 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat 0:11:43

ignoring the top 3 for a minute, could there be some attacks tomorrow with people trying to gain places?

VDB to try and gain a podium place?
    Tejay going for it now that Evans is done?
  • Pross
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Fabian Cancellara and 7 seconds preventing Wiggins from joining the elite group of Ottavio Bottecchia, Nicolas Frantz and Romain Maes. Probably.

?
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    DeadCalm wrote:

Would have been even more boring for the haters, but a sight to see none the less
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Le Commentateur
    edited July 2012
    Crozza wrote:
    ignoring the top 3 for a minute, could there be some attacks tomorrow with people trying to gain places?

I actually can't imagine any of those below Nibali getting more than a few seconds. TJVG needs 3 minutes to get 3rd place — impossible without Biblical weather, crashes or cheating. I think we have the podium there, it just a question of actual 1-2-3 placing now.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

?

Yellow from start to finish
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

?

Yellow from start to finish.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Crozza wrote:
    VDB to try and gain a podium place?
    Tejay going for it now that Evans is done?

TJ maybe but I think I've got as much chance of the podium as VDB
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Crozza wrote:

I actually can't imagine any of those below Nibali getting more than a few seconds. TJVG needs 3 minutes to get 3rd place — impossible without Biblical weather, crashes or cheating. I think we have the podium there, it just a question of actual 1-2-3 placing now.

was thinking of people trying to move from 10th to 7th (just as an example). worth it for the points/prestige/prize money?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Crozza wrote:

was thinking of people trying to move from 10th to 7th (just as an example). worth it for the points/prestige/prize money?

Yes. Well, no one really gives a toss about the money, but the Tour is strange in that 7'th place means something. Which is one reason the racing can be incredibly negative.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.