F Schleck tests positive for diuretic

Comments

• TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I think a small (freudian??) slip has crept into the latest cycling news story.

The Luxembougish Anti-Doping Agency is actually ALAD : http://www.alad.lu/

It would be too funny if the name of their anti-doping agency was the word for "nothing" in spanish!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Sorry to be flippant in a doping issue that everyone's taking very seriously, ...

Let's qualify that by changing "everyone's" to "SOME ARE". Hell, I take a diuretic every day and even tell people about it, and guess what? No one cares. So now I'm telling the world that I take a diuretic. Anyone out there care or give a rats *ss? Anyone?? Anyone??? :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    dennisn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Sorry to be flippant in a doping issue that everyone's taking very seriously, ...

Let's qualify that by changing "everyone's" to "SOME ARE". Hell, I take a diuretic every day and even tell people about it, and guess what? No one cares. So now I'm telling the world that I take a diuretic. Anyone out there care or give a rats *ss? Anyone?? Anyone??? :wink:

I think a middle aged Yank takes them for slightly different reasons to a top flight professional cyclist (or Frank Schleck) ;)
  • dennisn
    Pross wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I think a middle aged Yank takes them for slightly different reasons to a top flight professional cyclist (or Frank Schleck) ;)

..... but you don't know that and even if you did it still poses the question of why care? :?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

..... but you don't know that and even if you did it still poses the question of why care? :?

I don't know why, I just do.

If you're lonely, I will call -
    If you're poorly, I will send poetry

I love you
    I am the milkman of human kindness
    I will leave an extra pint

If you're sleeping, I will wait
    If your bed is wet, I will dry your tears

I love you

Hold my hand for me I'm waking up
    Hold my hand for me I'm waking up
    Hold my hand for me I'm making up
    Won't you hold my hand - I'm making up

If you are falling, I'll put out my hands
    If you feel bitter, I will understand

I love you
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Dennisn still supporting dopers with his mock apathy...
    Con-man stings granny for life savings. Bothered?
    Banker stings country for savings of millions of lives. Bothered?
    Athlete to get in Guinness Book of Records for number of needles stuck in body at one time. Bothered?

Why carry on living if life interests the you little...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    dennis wrote:

diuretics mask things like EPO, testosterone, corticosteroids and all the other things that are (not only) banned but also seriously dangerous to the health of those taking them in an uncontrolled manner

Do you actually want clean cycling Dennis ?

PS, you don't have to answer that if you want to, treat it as a rhetorical question - troll feeding time over
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Pross
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I know they're on the banned list for a reason and on that basis if Frank had a legitimate need to use them he should have obtained a TUE. He didn't which suggests he wasn't taking them for legitimate reasons.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Why do you care that he cares? And before you say anything, I don't care that you care that he cares, I'm just asking a question and have no interest in the answer other than to continue another pointless debate :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_m6o1sdwYye1r3wst9o1_500.png
    tumblr_m6yq3pEm2A1r3wst9o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m747y9jSDL1qenyano1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    amaferanga wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Why do you care that he cares? And before you say anything, I don't care that you care that he cares, I'm just asking a question and have no interest in the answer other than to continue another pointless debate :wink:

I think you have finally gotten my point. Seriously. Pointless debate? Indeed it is.
  • Pross
    So discussing a pro cyclist testing positive for a banned substance and facing a hearing to determine if he gets banned on a forum dedicated to professional cycling is a pointless debate? I think you might be in the wrong place!
  • When's the hearing?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Just seen this
    French sports newspaper “L'Equipe” has published an article suggesting that RadioShack manager Johan Bruyneel doped cyclist Fränk Schleck, so that the latter would be unable to leave the team.
    http://www.wort.lu/en/view/french-newsp ... um=twitter
    It sounds kind of plausible, but given the latest revelations so would "Bruyneel shot JFK" and "Bruyneel masterminded 9/11", but it doesn't mean he was behind those either. Will be very difficult to prove I'd have thought.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    isn't coca-cola a diuretic..... maybe hes had a mcdonalds before the race
  • frenchfighter
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Just seen this
    French sports newspaper “L'Equipe” has published an article suggesting that RadioShack manager Johan Bruyneel doped cyclist Fränk Schleck, so that the latter would be unable to leave the team.
    http://www.wort.lu/en/view/french-newsp ... um=twitter
    It sounds kind of plausible, but given the latest revelations so would "Bruyneel shot JFK" and "Bruyneel masterminded 9/11", but it doesn't mean he was behind those either. Will be very difficult to prove I'd have thought.

Gee wiz. I would believe it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Colour me surprised.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    True or not. Frank will use it as defence. He's got nothing else.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    I know. But he'll likely lose (although I bet any money you like that he is let off by the Luxembourg authorities and the case is appealed to CAS by either the UCI, or much more likely, WADA) due to the principle of strict liability.
  • I'm no expert, but I understood (from the Bertie judgment at least) that the principle of strict liability means that Frank is responsible for any banned substances in his bloodstream UNLESS he demonstrates that it was more likely than not that he did not know about it and could not reasonably have found out. So the excuse "it might have been from a contaminated supplement" won't wash, but "my drink was spiked by the team manager" would - if Frank can persuade the tribunal that the explanation is more likely to be true than not (what the lawyers refer to as "the balance of probabilities").
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Frank's in his hearing right now...took Maxine Montfort in with him, apparently
  • frenchfighter
    Been there close to 3 hours now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wonder what the verdict will be?
  • Erm...according to a tweet just now by Julian Pretot (Reuters cycling correspondent), Franky's hearing yesterday involved him appearing before - wait for it, this is good -

his dad
    his uncle
    his step father

I need a bashing-hammer-over-someone's-head emoticon
  • If that's true, I'd assume WADA will appeal? Not exactly an unbiased hearing...
  • I understand that Luxembourg has a population of 7 people, the Schlecks and a cocker spaniel, but for feck's sake...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Erm...according to a tweet just now by Julian Pretot (Reuters cycling correspondent), Franky's hearing yesterday involved him appearing before - wait for it, this is good -

his dad
    his uncle
    his step father

Feck!

Andy wasn't there...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dennisn
    Erm...according to a tweet just now by Julian Pretot (Reuters cycling correspondent), Franky's hearing yesterday involved him appearing before - wait for it, this is good -

his dad
    his uncle
    his step father

Ridiculous. But think about it. Who's tougher on you than your family? :wink: