F Schleck tests positive for diuretic

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Also, why on earth isn't it a banned substance!! I thought masking agents were banned...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Becasue it could be used as a masking agent, but it could also be ingested (or whatever) by accident
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:

Yes, but then he was only 22 when he made the move having been at tiny teams before. Hardly a surprise his ranking suddenly improved really!

If I remember correctly, he turned pro, was so rubbish had to go back to amateur for a while and then pro again.

Where as Andy was immense talent from the get-go.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Timoid. wrote:
    christ, how sh*t would he have been without the drugs?

I suggest you look at CQ for his early career

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ri ... riderid=75

Before he switched to CSC, Jalabert, Riis and Fuentes.

Well, he was only 22 when he joined CSC from, er, Festina
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Pross wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    christ, how sh*t would he have been without the drugs?

I suggest you look at CQ for his early career

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ri ... riderid=75

Before he switched to CSC, Jalabert, Riis and Fuentes.

Yes, but then he was only 22 when he made the move having been at tiny teams before. Hardly a surprise his ranking suddenly improved really!

Improvement is to be expected, but not on the same curve as Schleck. He had no results in his first 4 years as a pro. At 23 he is still outside the top 300, at 24 just knocking on top 100. He really struggled in his early years. Something changed. Maybe it was Riis' fabled outdoor winter training camps.

For an even more remarkable improvement in rankings look at these

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ri ... iderid=990

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ri ... derid=5789
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ddraver wrote:
    Becasue it could be used as a masking agent, but it could also be ingested (or whatever) by accident
    So his A sample has tested positive for a substance that isn't banned, his B sample hasn't been tested yet, but it's still been announced and he's withdrawn from the Tour under pressure from the UCI?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was juiced up to the eyeballs, but this whole thing has a whiff of something more than a little bit fishy.
  • iainf72
    :P

It could be the UCI still don't like riders complaining about not being paid....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well UCI incompetance is a given in all cases...would the lab inform the UCI, ASO or the French Drug People (forgotten the name) or what? I would imagine ASO would want him out sharpish, the French would want to shout about how clean they are making the sport, god only knows what the UCI wants.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    This poisoning story is utter nonsense.

Nobody bought it for Pantani and nobod bought it for Contador.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • graeme_s-2
    The other thing I don't understand is after the whole Kolobnev thing last year, why don't the UCI just change their rules to say results of the A sample are announced, and at that point riders are immediately suspended from all competition pending further investigation. That's what they effectively do at the moment anyway, but the rules contradict that.
  • graeme_s-2

Look at the precedent though, it's clearly the heavyweight doping excuse of a True Champion :mrgreen:
  • step-hent
    step-hent Posts: 62

Well, yes. But it's so much more interesting to think that one of Becca's minions spiked his food so as not to pay his wages than it is to think that a farmer somewhere thought he'd try and get his cattle a bit leaner. At least Schleck's allegation has a bit of glamour and intrigue to it. If you're going to go down, go big.
  • This poisoning story is utter nonsense.

Wasn't 500k on the line for the people handing over his water bottles or prepping his food either.

I'm not buying it either, but calling it utter nonsense is a tad unfair. It's definitely plausible.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Voigt:
    "It's not easy but we'll wait for the b sample and for what Frankie has to say. After all it's many years that I've said he's a good friend of mine. Friendship goes not only in the sunshine but also when it rains. I still believe in him."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    I've no doubt that he does dope but the timing of all this seems awfully convenient for the UCI and LA.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

Would it be too machiavellian to wonder whether someone associated with the team set him up?
    That will teach the Schleck's to become involved with Bruyneel. (the HOG)
    Maybe they wouldn't get on his "Bed" for the blood change.

Riis was much better at keeping their tests negative. !
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    andyp wrote:
    One imagines the Luxembourg Olympic Committee are already working out how they can let him get off scott free again.
    As the Scottish Football regulatory bodies have shown over the last few months, rules can be broken, manipulated, ignored and generally made up as you go along when you happen to be a big name with a tarnished history of cheating and tax evasion. If only Frank could be affiliated to that type of organisation; his innocence and continued racing would be assured!!!
  • disgruntledgoat

Wasn't 500k on the line for the people handing over his water bottles or prepping his food either.

I'm not buying it either, but calling it utter nonsense is a tad unfair. It's definitely plausible.

How is there 500k on the line?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • This poisoning story is utter nonsense.

How is there 500k on the line?

Schleck bros are owed a lot of money by Radioshack-Nissan.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    One imagines the Luxembourg Olympic Committee are already working out how they can let him get off scott free again.
    As the Scottish Football regulatory bodies have shown over the last few months, rules can be broken, manipulated, ignored and generally made up as you go along when you happen to be a big name with a tarnished history of cheating and tax evasion. If only Frank could be affiliated to that type of organisation; his innocence and continued racing would be assured!!!

So you're saying that RSNT's chef poisened David Murray and Craig Whyte which meant they never paid income tax? :shock:

I can't even get away from the Scottish football farce on a cycling forum!
  • iainf72

Schleck bros are owed a lot by Leopard SA.
  • disgruntledgoat
    So how does poisoning him get them out of that? They'll still have to pay him.

@gietvangent
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    iainf72 wrote:

Schleck bros are owed a lot by Leopard SA.

Yeah and Radioshack-nissan-trek are owed a lot by the Schlecks :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Roscobob wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    andyp wrote:

So you're saying that RSNT's chef poisened David Murray and Craig Whyte which meant they never paid income tax? :shock:

Given the farce to date...your explanation seems entirely plausible.... :D

(I'll leave the SPL/SFL/SFA shenanigans alone now :evil: )
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171

Breach of contract as presumably they'll have signed some anti-doping clause?
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Given the farce to date...your explanation seems entirely plausible.... :D

(I'll leave the SPL/SFL/SFA shenanigans alone now :evil: )

Maybe that will be their defence when the law finally catch up with them (if ever!). To be fair the SFA/SFL/SPL make the UCI look like a well oiled machine!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Pross wrote:

I would have thought that the contract would only be terminated from the date of the positive sample, if the money is already owed then it will remain owed notwithstanding the breach.
  • Crozza wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I would have thought that the contract would only be terminated from the date of the positive sample, if the money is already owed then it will remain owed notwithstanding the breach.

I'm sure some cyclists have been made to repay earnings in fines?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Pross wrote:

You'd have to be a weapons grade moron to sign a contract with such a clause when Bruyneel is involved.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Good thing is -- nobody missed Frank today.