The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Does anyone know how many official food and hydrations stations are one the BIBR Gran Fondo and at what distances they are? Thanks?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    There was a link to a PDF detailing the stops on the entries page - of course that page has now changed to a different event so don't have the link. There was one in Ballymena and one in Bushmills - don't remember the others right now but there were two more I think!
  • Step_7
    Found the link in my internet history, Glenarm and Whitehead are the other two:

http://www.pioneer-group.co.uk/wp-conte ... imings.pdf
  • dw300
    Step_7 wrote:
    Found the link in my internet history, Glenarm and Whitehead are the other two:

http://www.pioneer-group.co.uk/wp-conte ... imings.pdf

Many thanks Step_7. This is going to be an exercise in hydration and nutrition for most. Almost certainly most people will cycle slightly above their natural pace for that distance and the risk.

Seems like it'll be 2 main groups for each ride, but the fast ones a bit quick (20mph) for the Gran Fondo and the slow one's a touch slow (15.6mph). Can't decide which group to start off with, and either drop off or speed up. I'd kinda like to do at least 17mph for the whole route, and definitely dont want prolonged periods solo or in a small group.

Thoughts?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Start slower and finish stronger. Ooh err missus
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Step_7
    I agree about the hydration and nutrition - I know I'm guilty of forgetting to take on enough fluid on shorter runs, especially if its cold and wet (which it usually is!) and you can get away wih that but when you're going to be out in the saddle for up to 10 hours it's going to catch up with you!

I read the speeds in the PDF as the two ends of the spectrum, not mass starts - I'd expect them to start folk off in smaller groups gradually between 7 and 8 but we'll see.

I am probably aiming for that sort of pace myself - did the Causeway Coast one last year at just over 16 average and that was a shitty miserable windy day mostly on my own or in a small group - I've moved forward a lot since then and will be doing it as part of a club group so I reckon 17/18 is a sensible target - depends on the weather on the day really.
  • dw300
    Yeh, now that I think about it, there is probably only a small number of guys that could do 20 much average for 140 miles.

I'll have to set a 20 min repeating alarm on the Garmin to remember to drink. And eating early when you aren't hungry will help.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • madden2011
    madden2011 Posts: 142
    There won't be much of a lie in that Sunday morning, a nice 7am start.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    madden2011 wrote:
    There won't be much of a lie in that Sunday morning, a nice 7am start.

there is a dozen of us coming up from Coleraine....going to be a long day.
  • Step_7
    Did the medium route on Sunday plus a few extra miles and despite telling myself to eat and drink I still hammered out the last 20 miles without doing either, and felt dreadful for the last 5 - perhaps setting the Garmin alarms might be a good idea! Hopefully on the day having actual feed stations will make it easier - although arriving at the Bushmills one at 100K and realising you aren't even halfway yet will be interesting!
  • dw300
    Good recce!

I'm keen to know how the aid stations will be laid out, and if there are toilet facilities at each. It would make planning for a group much easier.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Entry is open for the Phoenix "Grand Italian Fundraiser" sportive, in aid of the local Friends of the Cancer Centre charity. It's on 27 April along part of the Giro route. A good warm up for the Gran Fondo!

http://www.entrycentral.com/index.php?f ... escription
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Entry is open for the Phoenix "Grand Italian Fundraiser" sportive, in aid of the local Friends of the Cancer Centre charity. It's on 27 April along part of the Giro route. A good warm up for the Gran Fondo!

So basically the Audi RT again but with a different start point?
  • dw300
    Entry is open for the Phoenix "Grand Italian Fundraiser" sportive, in aid of the local Friends of the Cancer Centre charity. It's on 27 April along part of the Giro route. A good warm up for the Gran Fondo!

May well give this a bash. Good to know little things like easy sections that you can eat on, and how long the drags are.

I think I'll be looking a run to join this Sunday if anyone can suggest anything.

Are you guys all subbed to this thread so you get an alert when there are new posts.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    Nah, I check it quite often anyway :)
  • dw300 wrote:
    I think I'll be looking a run to join this Sunday if anyone can suggest anything.

Don't know of anything on Sunday. Phoenix are doing their St Patrick's Day club run on Monday though. 100 miles to the mournes and back. Staying quiet in the hope that my other half hasn't planned something for me to do round the house that day!
  • dw300
    Cool, do the mind non members tagging along?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • I wouldn't think so. And you're a CI member so you have insurance.
  • NeXXus
    You'll be recognisable in your lampre kit Dave :D
  • dw300
    I got a big money move to OPQS, didnt you hear?

Seriously though, I don't understand your Lampre reference unless you're suggesting I wear a lot of pink! :p
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    It's Phoenix Green/Blue. Contrasting colours :lol:
  • NeXXus wrote:
    Phoenix Green/Blue.

Not for much longer. New kit on the way. And a special Giro one too!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:
    Phoenix Green/Blue.

Not for much longer. New kit on the way. And a special Giro one too!
    We've had ours for months :P
  • I guess we're a little slow off the mark then!

Kanes have one too. There's going to be a lot of pink jerseys about.
  • NeXXus
    Have to concede that Kanes is the nicest though
  • Fergster
    Fergster Posts: 21
    I have to second that. Kaners giro outfit looks first class.

I have signed up for gran fondo of the big italian bike ride. Steadily building up the miles after a back injury. 80miles last weekend out round the ards peninsula. Just wondering if any groups heading out or anyone looking company this weekend.
  • Fergster wrote:
    I have to second that. Kaners giro outfit looks first class.

I have signed up for gran fondo of the big italian bike ride. Steadily building up the miles after a back injury. 80miles last weekend out round the ards peninsula. Just wondering if any groups heading out or anyone looking company this weekend.

Have you considered joining a club? North Down or Ards? Chain Reaction sponsor North Down and they had early entry to the BIBR, so loads of their members will be training for it.
  • dw300
    Or Castlereagh, who are the event organising club.

I'll be looking to be doing a 60, 80, 100 and 120 at the pace of the 140 overy the next few weeks. I really think nutrition, hydration and not getting carried away and going too hard will be the bits you need to prep for.

Anyone know do you get the contents of the goodie bag at the start or after?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    dw300 wrote:
    Or Castlereagh, who are the event organising club.

I'll be looking to be doing a 60, 80, 100 and 120 at the pace of the 140 overy the next few weeks. I really think nutrition, hydration and not getting carried away and going too hard will be the bits you need to prep for.

Anyone know do you get the contents of the goodie bag at the start or after?
    Id guess at the end along with your finishing medal, unless in the off chance they are stupid enough to expect people to carry it around all day
  • dw300
    Yeh but I'd rather have the 9 gels and 4 energy bars at the start!
    Bike Radar Strava Club