The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Ha! I love the look of a negative stem, but I think Im low enough for now till I find a saddle that isnt a pain in the balls when in the drops. My Garmin 800 provides a large platform for resting my chin on at high speeds!

Stu, you should do some club hillclimbs and TTs this season, it'll give a ton of incentive to train right, and be a good benchmark. And its safer!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    dw300 wrote:
    Ha! I love the look of a negative stem, but I think Im low enough for now till I find a saddle that isnt a pain in the balls when in the drops. My Garmin 800 provides a large platform for resting my chin on at high speeds!

Stu, you should do some club hillclimbs and TTs this season, it'll give a ton of incentive to train right, and be a good benchmark. And its safer!
    And they can be done on a limited licence :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • So, lads.I get in 150-200 miles a week these days. I'm managing a solo 50 (Belfast-Carryduff-Ballynahinch-Downpatrick-Comber-Belfast) at about 18.5-19. Did Lap The Lough at about 17.5. I ride an ill-matched aluminium bike with MTB pedals and have literally no intention of shaving my legs, ever.

Which Belfast or nearby club has runs on more than Sundays (curse of the second chef, I never have a Sunday off) and is least likely to laugh their asses off at the cut of me?
  • So, lads.I get in 150-200 miles a week these days. I'm managing a solo 50 (Belfast-Carryduff-Ballynahinch-Downpatrick-Comber-Belfast) at about 18.5-19. Did Lap The Lough at about 17.5. I ride an ill-matched aluminium bike with MTB pedals and have literally no intention of shaving my legs, ever.

Which Belfast or nearby club has runs on more than Sundays (curse of the second chef, I never have a Sunday off) and is least likely to laugh their asses off at the cut of me?

That's pretty quick. Phoenix CC's main day is Saturday. Rides leave the House of Sport on the Malone Road at 9.30. At the minute five groups leave. Roughly:

A 19mph+
    VSG (Very social group) 18mph
    B1 17mph
    B2 16mph
    C1 15mph
    C2 13mph

Averages are faster in the summer, when there a lot more people (close to 200) and more groups.

So you'd be A/B1 probably. There are other runs as well. Same runs on Sunday morning but with lower numbers, Tuesday night hill practice, Tuesday night MTB. Some runs on Thursdays as well.

You can do a few runs without joining to see how you get on. Great club. I've been a member since the summer.
  • NeXXus
    If the coast road hasn't been washed into the drink a few of us are planning to do the EA Reliability 55mi on Sunday.

You boys are welcome to tag along, just ask a Team Madigan member for Big Chris :lol:
  • I think I'll give the B run a go on Sunday. Anyone have a Strava link for last year's B run? I can only find A run links. If not what's the usual average?
  • NeXXus
    I could only find the A run also. I'd put it somewhere between 16.5 and 18avg depending on group size. We aren't scared to get stuck in :lol:

We all live in/around Larne so won't be riding back to Carrick again, you can't get lost though. Thought I should mention that :P
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Yep, doing the 'B' run on Sunday. Conditions lookin right n breezy so think the Pinarello with the newly added 50's will stay at home in favour of the Ribble winter hack.

Here's hoping no crash like the one last year.....

It's a reliability run, not a race
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    As I recall the B ave was about 18 last yr
  • NeXXus
    PedroJake wrote:
    Yep, doing the 'B' run on Sunday. Conditions lookin right n breezy so think the Pinarello with the newly added 50's will stay at home in favour of the Ribble winter hack.

Here's hoping no crash like the one last year.....

It's a reliability run, not a race
    It'll still have a winner :lol:
  • There's a group of us riding up from Belfast, hopefully I'll not burn my legs out on the way up!
  • According to North Down CC's Facebook page, Chain Reaction are running a "Big Italian Bike Ride" on 4 May. The long route is the same as stage 2 of the Giro. Starts and finishes at Titanic Quarter. Early entry being offered for North Down members. Anyone done 130 miles before?!
  • NeXXus
    I've broke 100 but there's always a first for everything.

Various comments suggest this is replacing Tour of the Glens
  • dw300
    Im finishing the Tour of Sufferlandria on Sunday, just wont be good for it.

Will definitely be doing the Giro stage. 130 would be simple with a good well paced group.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Is there a GPX file for stage 2 anywhere that I can get my hands on?

Coming over to watch the Giro and planning to do it whilst I am there.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • NeXXus
  • dw300
    Well, I got crapped out the back of the 'A' group after about an hour today. How did everyone else go?

I knew Kingof.. was going, but not sure if any of the rest of you were there.

Had a worst breakfast competition in McDonalds before leaving .. I raised it with 300ml of ginger 'beer', 2 rice krispie squares and a double espresso, but Sean from VCM trumped me with 2 gels and an americano. Can't win anything!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    Didn't make it, contracted the deadliest strain of manflu earlier in the week and haven't shook it yet. Riding today (as nice as it turned out to be) would have meant more time off.
  • Great morning for a bike ride today. Very slow initially but the pace picked up. 17.9 average which I was very happy with. Blah Hole so close to the finish was a tester! Glad I had the good sense to do the B run, unlike DW! Highest average I've seen so far for the As is 22.5 :shock:
  • NeXXus
    The Blah holes a nasty one, some days it feels like it starts in Larne, some days it barely raises your HR :lol:
  • was on here ages ago, ex marathon runner having to take up cycling due to hip problems and ops. Great to be doing proper cardio again!

don't know anything about gear, or much else! bought a £200 bike off gumtree- love it!

great day for cycling today, did about 70 miles around Strangford Lough in 5-and-a-quarter hours which included probably 40 mins worth of stops (waiting on Strangford ferry etc). Went from Portaferry to Ards on the return in 1 hour precise, though no headwind. Only started to tire then and Ards-Comber- theGreenway to East Belfast took another hour.

Have no clipon shoes yet. Honest opinions and thoughts etc on these times , how to train, what equipment I should prioritise and generally where to go from here??

Me and a mate thinking of doing the Maracycle in June.

Unfortunately I will be a bit snowed under with work the next 6 months and chances of training etc might be curtailed, but what the hell!
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    alanp23 wrote:
    Is there a GPX file for stage 2 anywhere that I can get my hands on?

Coming over to watch the Giro and planning to do it whilst I am there.

Here you go, I don't know how accurate it is in the cities but the rest should be pretty close. :? There was chat that it will be taking a different route through Antrim town than this but will know nearer the time.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4940377
  • was on here ages ago, ex marathon runner having to take up cycling due to hip problems and ops. Great to be doing proper cardio again!

don't know anything about gear, or much else! bought a £200 bike off gumtree- love it!

great day for cycling today, did about 70 miles around Strangford Lough in 5-and-a-quarter hours which included probably 40 mins worth of stops (waiting on Strangford ferry etc). Went from Portaferry to Ards on the return in 1 hour precise, though no headwind. Only started to tire then and Ards-Comber- theGreenway to East Belfast took another hour.

Have no clipon shoes yet. Honest opinions and thoughts etc on these times , how to train, what equipment I should prioritise and generally where to go from here??

Me and a mate thinking of doing the Maracycle in June.

Unfortunately I will be a bit snowed under with work the next 6 months and chances of training etc might be curtailed, but what the hell!

Welcome to your cycling obsession! Yes get clip in shoes/pedals. They make a big difference. Shimano's SPD-SL are the most popular, but there's loads of different kinds. SPDs if you want to be able to walk easier.

Portaferry to Ards in an hour is good going. There was heavy tailwind from the south that day though. :)

Strava is a great way to track your progress. You can use it as an app on your smartphone, or more accurately if you get a Garmin Edge.
  • Great morning for a bike ride today. Very slow initially but the pace picked up. 17.9 average which I was very happy with. Blah Hole so close to the finish was a tester! Glad I had the good sense to do the B run, unlike DW! Highest average I've seen so far for the As is 22.5 :shock:

Did the B run too - my ave 18.7?

Trick with the Blah hole always be on the outside, easy to get stuck inside. Our wee group past a load there. Downside was I ended up on the front coming into Eden into the headwind and ran out of steam!

Good run tho, hats off to Audi. Who's up for Phoenix this week. Blowy again by all accounts
  • dw300
    PedroJake wrote:
    Great morning for a bike ride today. Very slow initially but the pace picked up. 17.9 average which I was very happy with. Blah Hole so close to the finish was a tester! Glad I had the good sense to do the B run, unlike DW! Highest average I've seen so far for the As is 22.5 :shock:

Did the B run too - my ave 18.7?

Trick with the Blah hole always be on the outside, easy to get stuck inside. Our wee group past a load there. Downside was I ended up on the front coming into Eden into the headwind and ran out of steam!

Good run tho, hats off to Audi. Who's up for Phoenix this week. Blowy again by all accounts

Will do the Phoenix one if its not wazzing it down.

Have signed up for the A4 race of the Phoenix GP on the 23rd .. first race for me!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    Turbo this weekend I reckon :D
  • NeXXus
    antlaff wrote:
    The routes above, ride it free :lol:
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    NeXXus wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    The routes above, ride it free :lol:

Just pisses me off that local clubs can organise sportives for £20 were majority of monies go to charity, were as the like of this and Giants run cost £35 and very little to charity!