The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• Fergy01
    Fergy01 Posts: 7
    PedroJake wrote:

I'm off in the 7.20-7.40 slot. I think you go in groups of about 50 at a time? I would think they will wave you through at that time of the morning. Training hasn't went as well as planned so hoping haven't bitten off too much with the big run. Hope to be in a nice group of like-minded /similar ability and share the workload heading round

Hey Pedrojake I'm in the same group 7.20-7.40. I'm hoping for the same. I think it will be well enough organised that we should all be in similar ability groups.
  • I'm 7.20 to 7.40 as well. I think all the Phoenix riders are going to try and start at the same time though. Someone told me there will be motorcycle police/marshals with each group, riding ahead to get us through junctions? Can't see it though. They couldn't have enough?

The Phoenix sportive was fast! I managed to hang onto the A group until Blah Hole - lost 10 seconds up the hill, a few cars got in between, and that was that. 20.6mph average. Not that I contributed in any way to it! The B group was nearly as fast.

Good luck to everyone on Sunday. Weather looks OK, maybe some rain in the morning. Head wind home, but looks fairly weak.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    I have a charity ride on Sunday from Belfast-Carnlough-Belfast. Around 12 of us doing this riding out and back around the coast. Our ride is in now way connected with the officially organised sportives. Does anyone think we'll get caught up with the marshalling as we will technicaly be following the route on our return leg? We've reached out to CRC but heard no responses.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Germcevoy wrote:
    I have a charity ride on Sunday from Belfast-Carnlough-Belfast. Around 12 of us doing this riding out and back around the coast. Our ride is in now way connected with the officially organised sportives. Does anyone think we'll get caught up with the marshalling as we will technicaly be following the route on our return leg? We've reached out to CRC but heard no responses.
    Not quite sure what you're asking but in any case the answer is likely to be crack on.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    Germcevoy wrote:

they wont be round there to about what 2pm?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Sounds like 75% of people are starting at 7:30.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • paul_mck
    Sorry I was thinking giro start times :(
  • madden2011
    madden2011 Posts: 142
    Looks like we're going to get a bit wet. So much for hoping it going to be a good day.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    700-720 myself. KingOfTheTailwind, if you still need that 1.85mm spacer, look for a short-ish beardy guy with the 2012 CAAD10 in white. Probably in a black jersey, grey spesh helmet. I'll throw it in my pocket just in case.
  • madden2011
    Not much room to get these numbers tied to the bike!! Ended up wasting a cable tie
  • dw300
    Stood in the queue with hundred of people and Sean Kelly walks past.. not an eyelid is batted.. =(
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • paul_mck
    good luck tomorrow lads - was up that way today everything is pink lol
  • NeXXus
    Aye good luck :)

Paul you out tomorrow? :wink:
  • paul_mck
    done 72miles today and Im totally destroyed. up the hill out of cushendall into a headwind just ruined me.
  • NeXXus
    Damn, I wanted to destroy you :)
  • paul_mck
    ha ha bastid.
  • madden2011
    paul_mck wrote:
    done 72miles today and Im totally destroyed. up the hill out of cushendall into a headwind just ruined me.

Seen your run on strava, looked a good one, with a few good climbs.
  • paul_mck
    cheers dude, trying to catch you lol
  • Fergy01
    Fergy01 Posts: 7
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow with the BIBR.
  • MisterMuncher
    Great day out.
  • madden2011
    Yeah great day, tough but can't complain at all, got chewed up and spat out by a couple of fast moving trains. Very well organised as well fair play to CRC.
  • MisterMuncher
    Spent too long with too fast a group, but managed to complete. Well broken now!
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    141 miles ave 18.4mph. Big thanks to Bann Wheelers and Dromara CC for pulls round the back half of the course. That climb out of ballintoy was a wee bugger!

Well done in the organisation, we'll worth the entry fee if only for the number of gels and energy bars I now have!

I plan to sleep well tonite
  • vin31
    vin31 Posts: 23
    my garmin stopped at 142.5 miles with a 19.4 average, was seeing stars a few times ! lots of coffe and caramel squares in Glenarm sorted me out . Loved it !
  • dw300
    I gota admit that was pretty good value even at £40. Plenty of pizza eaten the day before and you basically had unlimited gels, food and drink.

The group I was with initially had a lovely young lady as the campione, not sure why I didn't just stick with that group!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • 700-720 myself. KingOfTheTailwind, if you still need that 1.85mm spacer, look for a short-ish beardy guy with the 2012 CAAD10 in white. Probably in a black jersey, grey spesh helmet. I'll throw it in my pocket just in case.

Think it's sorted now, but thanks anyway!

Dave, think you must have started in the group behind us. She was on the start line when we started.

Great day on the bike. 25mph average on a lot of the segments up to the north coast. It broke up on the big climb so was on my own from the top, until a few miles from Glenarm when the 0745 Rouleurs rolled by and dragged me to the food stop. Can honestly say it was the most miserable miles I've done on a bike along the coast road into that headwind solo! Then picked up a slightly slower Phoenix group in Glenarm that stayed together the whole way home. 18.1 average. The Phoenix group I started with finished with a 20.5 average. :shock:
  • dw300
    I was in the Roleurs group from just outside Belfast. Great bunch of lads. I initially jumped into that group as I saw some Ards lads. They spent the whole day fixing mechanicals and chasing back on.

Steve Limmer was a legend as usual, just attacking off the front and riding solo Everytime he got bored lol.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Yeah there were a lot of strong riders in their group.

Team Sky and FDJ are at The Park Avenue Hotel. Saw the team buses last night. Nine teams are staying at The Ramada at Shaw's Bridge but only BMC have arrived so far.

I wonder when they'll start going out on recon rides?!
  • dw300
    Was also wondering this, I'm off Thursday, would be great to get out for a spin and see them.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Stalking in Northern Ireland this week will be at an all time high.
    Never mind the buses wait until one of the team members is seen :D