The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    antlaff wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    The routes above, ride it free :lol:

Just pisses me off that local clubs can organise sportives for £20 were majority of monies go to charity, were as the like of this and Giants run cost £35 and very little to charity!
    Indeed
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    antlaff wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    The routes above, ride it free :lol:

Just pisses me off that local clubs can organise sportives for £20 were majority of monies go to charity, were as the like of this and Giants run cost £35 and very little to charity!

Just ride it and bring your own food and drink. Or call on somewhere on the way round.

You're paying a premium for having CRC printed on the flyer. I doubt they loose money on these events for the sake of a promotional opportunity, they could be turning a profit on this. 2500 entries at £40 is £100,000. Subtract promotional material and money for services and there is bound to be money left over, especially if they have other sponsors.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • PedroJake wrote:
    Great morning for a bike ride today. Very slow initially but the pace picked up. 17.9 average which I was very happy with. Blah Hole so close to the finish was a tester! Glad I had the good sense to do the B run, unlike DW! Highest average I've seen so far for the As is 22.5 :shock:

Did the B run too - my ave 18.7?

Trick with the Blah hole always be on the outside, easy to get stuck inside. Our wee group past a load there. Downside was I ended up on the front coming into Eden into the headwind and ran out of steam!

Good run tho, hats off to Audi. Who's up for Phoenix this week. Blowy again by all accounts

My 17.9 average included the ride up from Belfast. Must check on Strava what my average for the actual ride was.

Did the Phoenix RT on Sunday too. The target average of 17 to 18mph wasn't quite right! The leading B group got home at 19.5mph. I lasted till Ballynahinch before giving up trying to chase back on. Reasonably happy with that as people were getting dropped from Moira onwards. Too many lazy A group riders in the B group! Anyone else do it?

Get well soon to DW, who unfortunately broke his collar bone on Saturday. Although I see he was back on the turbo last night! You can't keep a good man down.
  • dw300
    My 17.9 average included the ride up from Belfast. Must check on Strava what my average for the actual ride was.

Did the Phoenix RT on Sunday too. The target average of 17 to 18mph wasn't quite right! The leading B group got home at 19.5mph. I lasted till Ballynahinch before giving up trying to chase back on. Reasonably happy with that as people were getting dropped from Moira onwards. Too many lazy A group riders in the B group! Anyone else do it?

Get well soon to DW, who unfortunately broke his collar bone on Saturday. Although I see he was back on the turbo last night! You can't keep a good man down.

Heard of another guy I consider to be pretty fast and he got dropped as well. Chatting to my race advisor though, racing is actually a lot easier, whereas reliabilities are like one big bordeur.

Could only do half an hour on the turbo, and the final 10mins were no handed, which you couldn't do for long. But i might as well do something.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    Rubbernecking at runners? :lol:
  • dw300
    I wish id had that good an excuse!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    We understand :D
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    dw300 wrote:

Heard of another guy I consider to be pretty fast and he got dropped as well. Chatting to my race advisor though, racing is actually a lot easier, whereas reliabilities are like one big bordeur.

Could only do half an hour on the turbo, and the final 10mins were no handed, which you couldn't do for long. But i might as well do something.
    Ouch hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • dw300
    Thanks Soda!

Here's a couple of photos of it on the same day it happened and after 3 days. Posted linked so you dont have to see unexpected upper body nudity lol.

Lots of swelling immediately, so it looked a different shape. However its a clean break so hopefully it wont end up too weird looking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq2ylw6rvsq6nzw/clavicle.jpg

Now you can see the bruising, although the swelling is less. It hurts far more now, ive either done a lot of soft tissue damage, or my delts and traps are compensating to protect it and are just constantly tired and aching.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndpkar4h44ldlrr/20140211_204411.jpg

Still cant use the arm for anything except holding things that the sling can support the weight of.

The break is a distal fracture. Thats the end closest the the arm.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    edited February 2014
    PedroJake wrote:
    Great morning for a bike ride today. Very slow initially but the pace picked up. 17.9 average which I was very happy with. Blah Hole so close to the finish was a tester! Glad I had the good sense to do the B run, unlike DW! Highest average I've seen so far for the As is 22.5 :shock:

Trick with the Blah hole always be on the outside, easy to get stuck inside. Our wee group past a load there. Downside was I ended up on the front coming into Eden into the headwind and ran out of steam!

Good run tho, hats off to Audi. Who's up for Phoenix this week. Blowy again by all accounts

I thought for a while I was on the A run rather than the B. 3 of us from our club started off from House of Sport at the very back and quickly realised we’d be dropped in no time staying there, so made our way up and stayed near the front, which seemed a bit easier. There were a few guys getting dropped by Lisburn FFS. I could swear the Phoenix guy waited to blow the whistle to change and for me to go on the front only when a hill started!

There were quite a few ‘auld boys’ complaining at the pee stop that there were clearly a good few who should have been on the A run instead of the B. I managed to somehow stay with a group out front of about 20, (didn’t even know everyone else fell away - all I could concentrate on was trying to hold my mates back wheel…) but 4 of us just couldn’t hack it and fell out the back a few miles from Carryduff and eased our way back from there, came in 6 or 7 minutes off the 'leaders'.

Made the Audi reliability seem like a Sunday bun run! Nice to get out on roads that ive never cycled before though. Anyone doing Maryland’s RT this week?
  • dw300 wrote:
    Thanks Soda!

Here's a couple of photos of it on the same day it happened and after 3 days. Posted linked so you dont have to see unexpected upper body nudity lol.

Lots of swelling immediately, so it looked a different shape. However its a clean break so hopefully it wont end up too weird looking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq2ylw6rvsq6nzw/clavicle.jpg

Now you can see the bruising, although the swelling is less. It hurts far more now, ive either done a lot of soft tissue damage, or my delts and traps are compensating to protect it and are just constantly tired and aching.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndpkar4h44ldlrr/20140211_204411.jpg

Still cant use the arm for anything except holding things that the sling can support the weight of.

The break is a distal fracture. Thats the end closest the the arm.

Sh!t one mate, hope recovery is swift. How this happen?
  • PedroJake wrote:
    PedroJake wrote:

I thought for a while I was on the A run rather than the B. 3 of us from our club started off from House of Sport at the very back and quickly realised we’d be dropped in no time staying there, so made our way up and stayed near the front, which seemed a bit easier. There were a few guys getting dropped by Lisburn FFS. I could swear the Phoenix guy waited to blow the whistle to change and for me to go on the front only when a hill started!

There were quite a few ‘auld boys’ complaining at the pee stop that there were clearly a good few who should have been on the A run instead of the B. I managed to somehow stay with a group out front of about 20, (didn’t even know everyone else fell away - all I could concentrate on was trying to hold my mates back wheel…) but 4 of us just couldn’t hack it and fell out the back a few miles from Carryduff and eased our way back from there, came in 6 or 7 minutes off the 'leaders'.

Made the Audi reliability seem like a Sunday bun run! Nice to get out on roads that ive never cycled before though. Anyone doing Maryland’s RT this week?

I did a turn on the front early on, straight into the headwind with a fast guy beside me pushing the pace. It was only a matter of time before I was dropped after that. Good tip on staying closer to the front, definitely a good idea. There probably should be three groups. The B run was meant to be 17-18 average, which would have been managable for most.

Giving Maryland a miss I think, although the longer distance might mean a slightly slower pace. I can't find any Strava links for last year's B run.
  • NeXXus
    Dave if you can't race Phoenix GP, You could pull a string or two and give the place to me :P
  • dw300
    NeXXus wrote:
    Dave if you can't race Phoenix GP, You could pull a string or two and give the place to me :P

I said I'd give first dibs to VCM members, there is apparently someone who wants it, but i'll check. If not (and it is transferrable - still not sure) then youre next on the list!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    Ah sweet! I was sort of joking but if it can be done, I'll happily £ you for the spot
  • 3 day sportive in May, 360 miles, £375!

http://road.cc/content/news/110910-thre ... ate-giro-d’italia’s-irish-start-video
  • dw300
    Ha class, would consider if I had the money .. dat video .. http://vimeo.com/79209748
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    Just an update on the busted clavicle, and in case anyone thinking of doing theirs .. DON'T!

I did it on Saturday, and actually went in to work for a half day on Monday this week. Had Mon avo and Tuesday off anyway .. and noticed that I was actually getting much sorer from about 48 hours after the crash. So called work and got the rest of the week off.

Yesterday (Thurs) I thought I better see a Dr. as the break, and all the muscles around my shoulder are really uncomfortably sore. So Im just out of the Dr's today (Fri) and he was going to give me a sickline for a month! He said its normal that it can get sorer, and will probably be this way for 2 weeks. He also said I'd almost certainly not be advised to get on the bike before the 4 week point, and probably better wait 6 weeks. But that Id have some pain and discomfort for several months down the line.

I've been prescribed a stronger painkiller (Co-codamol 30/500 rather than 8/500), and if I can go back to work sometime next week I will. Im trying to devise a way that I can turbo-train without using my left arm as Im concerned that using/leaning on that arm might slow down healing. Any thoughts on that are welcomed. I really need to get training again asap!

In summary, 6 days in and I still have no use of my shoulder joint. All I can do is grip things as long as my sling or something else braces my hand so there's no load on the shoulder. It's infuriating as hell, and my brain can't seem to remember not to use the shoulder muscles sometimes, which is extremely painful.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    dw300 wrote:

Yesterday (Thurs) I thought I better see a Dr. as the break, and all the muscles around my shoulder are really uncomfortably sore. So Im just out of the Dr's today (Fri) and he was going to give me a sickline for a month! He said its normal that it can get sorer, and will probably be this way for 2 weeks. He also said I'd almost certainly not be advised to get on the bike before the 4 week point, and probably better wait 6 weeks. But that Id have some pain and discomfort for several months down the line.

I've been prescribed a stronger painkiller (Co-codamol 30/500 rather than 8/500), and if I can go back to work sometime next week I will. Im trying to devise a way that I can turbo-train without using my left arm as Im concerned that using/leaning on that arm might slow down healing. Any thoughts on that are welcomed. I really need to get training again asap!
    I came off my bike 5 weeks tomorrow and took the brunt of it on my shoulder (mate wasn't so lucky and his ribs got it) nothing as bad as yours but after a couple of days the pain got particularly bad and I have still pain hitting the 5 week mark so I would say 6 weeks is being optimistic.
    Just watch those painkillers don't knock you for 6 especially if you do manage the turbo with one hand or manage to make it to work.
    Follow doctors orders and don't do anymore damage.
    Goodluck with the recovery process.

Soda
  • Could you borrow an MTB? Or anything more upright than a road bike? Most turbos work with different sized wheels. The upright position would be a lot more comfortable I think. You could ride one handed.

Alternatively, get a one month gym membership and use of the recumbent exercise bikes. Better than nothing!
  • Entries are now open for the Big Italian Bike Ride guys:

http://www.chainreactionhub.com/latest- ... -bike-ride
  • dw300
    Sodafarl wrote:
    I came off my bike 5 weeks tomorrow and took the brunt of it on my shoulder (mate wasn't so lucky and his ribs got it) nothing as bad as yours but after a couple of days the pain got particularly bad and I have still pain hitting the 5 week mark so I would say 6 weeks is being optimistic.
    Just watch those painkillers don't knock you for 6 especially if you do manage the turbo with one hand or manage to make it to work.
    Follow doctors orders and don't do anymore damage.
    Goodluck with the recovery process.

Soda

Thanks man. I dont have any drowsiness or other side effects with painkillers like a lot of people seem to. Just off the turbo there .. 95% fine, 5% ouchie.

Just paid in to the Big Italian Bike Ride for the 225km route. I entered early evening and am entry 422/1000. I presume the FB page may update as to how many spots remain.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • In there too, about half five. Entry 318. Seems to be filling quickly.
  • Got mine in yesterday morning. Entry 121. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully a first test for the new bike whatever that may be
  • dw300
    Realistically its gona take 10 hours from leaving Belfast to rolling back in isn't it? You're bound to be stopped for an hour, and about 9 hours riding?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Sounds about right, really.
  • Anyone do the Maryland RT today? A couple of pile ups with people falling on the black ice. Nasty. Glad I opted for a short 40 mile solo ride later in the morning instead.
  • Anyone do the Maryland RT today? A couple of pile ups with people falling on the black ice. Nasty. Glad I opted for a short 40 mile solo ride later in the morning instead.

I'd thought about it but got up and seen the frost and went nah, knew those roads would be dicey. 60 with the guys from my club, few hairy moments but generally fine round the coast towards ballygalley
  • On another note, got home and gave the winter Ribble a good clean, then decided to take the 'good bike' with the newly added 50's out for the first time seeing as roads were nice and dry. At first thought can feel no difference, however a blast along the marine highway, wind behind, and whoosh, once those bad boys got up to speed, absolutely flying lol
  • NeXXus
    PedroJake wrote:
    Anyone do the Maryland RT today? A couple of pile ups with people falling on the black ice. Nasty. Glad I opted for a short 40 mile solo ride later in the morning instead.

I'd thought about it but got up and seen the frost and went nah, knew those roads would be dicey. 60 with the guys from my club, few hairy moments but generally fine round the coast towards ballygalley
    We were up the coast yesterday due to the ice. I left near 10 to meet club en-route and even then, nearly on my hole 3 times getting to main road :lol:

Could have stayed in bed, there's no kudos for ending up in the fracture clinic - but a superb run was worth it.