The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    I think I'll watch it somewhere on the Antrim Road then ride out the Carnlough direction to see them at full pelt on their way home.
  • Step_7 wrote:
    Step_7 wrote:
    There are also some people's interpretation of the routes up on Garmin Connect - how correct these are is anybody's guess, but here's my version... :?

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4941739

Got one for Stage 2?

Yup, I do indeed! Again I don't know how accurate it is in the cities but the rest should be pretty close. :?

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4940377

Cheers!
  • Does anyone know of anywhere Belfast-local that hires decent road bikes? I have a mate coming over from England and we were going to give Stage 2 a bash, but shipping a bike back and forth seems like overkill.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    McConveys were doing hire
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Can anyone recommend a solicitor in Belfast that has experience of car vs bike accidents?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    There's bound to be a sportive (or Gran Fondo to be accurate) over the route.

Velo Cafe Dave? This a new thing?

Yeh, they've been very helpful to me and I like their attitude. I like the idea of a small focused club, and I'd like to get into racing this coming season. They're having kit made as we speak!

What happened, why do you need a solicitor?!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:

Yeh, they've been very helpful to me and I like their attitude. I like the idea of a small focused club, and I'd like to get into racing this coming season. They're having kit made as we speak!

Cool. What was your wheel build from them? Considering hand builts for my N+1.

My brother in law got knocked off last week. By an employee of a large NI based cycling retailer that will remain anonymous! Badley broken arm. A Phoenix member is a PI solicitor so he's going to talk to him.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    dw300 wrote:

My brother in law got knocked off last week. By an employee of a large NI based cycling retailer that will remain anonymous! Badley broken arm. A Phoenix member is a PI solicitor so he's going to talk to him.

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. Working for a cycling retailer you would have thought that you could have been safe(ish) with them driving near you. Usual no time allowed to get to the next job.
  • A guy from my club's Cannondale Jekyll 700 MTB was stolen from his home in south Belfast on 2 November. Blue and white in colour. Fairly rare and expensive bike.

Contact PSNI Balmoral - 0845 600 8000 quoting 753 of 2/11/13 if you see it for sale anywhere.
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    Been quiet in here lately!

With the Giro now only 6 months away has anyone heard of any plans for local events happening around it - the Yorkshire TDF website has loads of info about their Tour plans but the official Giro Belfast website still doesn't even have the route maps shown on it yet... Not filling me full of confidence at the moment...
  • NeXXus
    Everyone except for Dave Kane's seem to be keeping plans under their hats atm.

Don't worry, there will be a party somewhere :lol:
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    I know, but compare the Yorkshire TDF website with the Giro Belfast one... If I was travelling to an event from mainland Europe I could plan very little from the information on the local site compared to the Yorkshire one... I know we as locals will have a great time with this on our doorstep but I just hope from a tourism perspective that it is as successful as it deserves to be.
  • Phoenix are running a charity sportive a week or so before the Giro. No firm plans yet but might be a similar(ish) route. Haven't heard anything apart from that.
  • NeXXus
    Step_7 wrote:
    I know, but compare the Yorkshire TDF website with the Giro Belfast one... If I was travelling to an event from mainland Europe I could plan very little from the information on the local site compared to the Yorkshire one... I know we as locals will have a great time with this on our doorstep but I just hope from a tourism perspective that it is as successful as it deserves to be.
    Depends how you look at it, we can put on brilliant events (WP&FG?) and throw a party, bricks, stones, punches :(

I was a marshall at the WPFG road race and TT, had a brilliant weekend waving Flegs at traffic :lol: and uh, meeting people! The chap who won the vets TT was interesting, took his pointy hat off and pulled a comb out of his skinsuit pocket!
    Phoenix are running a charity sportive a week or so before the Giro. No firm plans yet but might be a similar(ish) route. Haven't heard anything apart from that.
    Excellent :D
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:

Yeh, Joe Henry built them. Built me a 30mm Interloc Racing Design Cadence Aero alloy rim, on Hope Pro 3's. 20/24 with a lighter gauge spoke on the front (not sure what the spokes are, they're Sapim of some sort I think).

Theyll true them anytime you need free of charge, and of course can be rebuilt with ease. The Hope hubs are a little heavier than some, but bulletproof, and of course thats where you want weight in a wheel if you have to. Nice loud freehub if you like that. Joe reckons they'll last 8-10 years if you look after them. Great everyday wheels.

So I've got those, and a set of insane 1050g carbon tubs for going uphill. Just need some deep section rims to complete the set. :D
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    NeXXus wrote:
    Step_7 wrote:
    Depends how you look at it, we can put on brilliant events (WP&FG?) and throw a party, bricks, stones, punches :(

I was a marshall at the WPFG road race and TT, had a brilliant weekend waving Flegs at traffic :lol: and uh, meeting people! The chap who won the vets TT was interesting, took his pointy hat off and pulled a comb out of his skinsuit pocket!

I did photography at the WPFG as you said it was excellent and great for meeting people. The Crit racing at Stormont was superb and probably had the best crowd of any of the cycling events. Hill climb was a bit of a damp (very wet) squib which put a lot of the spectators of.
    Loads of people talking about the Giro but not a lot planned apart from what Dave Kane is doing. Hopefully things will get a lot clearer after the New Year. Probably find that anyone planning to come over knows more about it than the people Norn Iron do.
  • dw300
    Is anyone riding any reliabilities in the next few weeks?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    dw300 wrote:
    East Antrim 2nd Feb

Only getting back on the bike tomorrow after an achilles niggle :(
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    My god, Kaner's is still going? I use to get a leaflet from them every now and again after first visiting the shop in 1993!

I always liked the small row of exotic frames lined up just as you walked in the door to drool over.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • NeXXus
    My god, Kaner's is still going? I use to get a leaflet from them every now and again after first visiting the shop in 1993!

I always liked the small row of exotic frames lined up just as you walked in the door to drool over.
    Kaners corner!
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    dw300 wrote:

Yeah, east Antrim as well. Thought about ballymena today but was on the booze last night......
  • Just the Phoenix one, and definitely in the B group!
  • NeXXus
    You chaps solo artists or club riding?
  • I'm Phoenix, but ride solo when I'm out during the week.
  • dw300
    Are you racing this season KOTT?

I'm officially joined up with Velo Cafe now. Just don't have any kit yet.

Will look at doing the East Antrim and Phoenix reliabilities. Was going to do the Lurgan one but was sick all Saturday. I don't have a clue what to expect, lol.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    My 'I can just about afford to crash this' race bike .. still a few loose ends to tidy up.

Post your rides!

ui80.jpg
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • NeXXus
    Basically, mine all have VITUS on the downtube. You an imagine the rest :lol:
  • Ballymena was good if a bit of a crashfest with blokes coming off in larne and going up the hill from carnlough when the hammer was put down.
    Maryland wheeler's is the toughest generally.
  • PBNinja
    PBNinja Posts: 44
    New guy checking in from Co Armagh. Getting started in MTB in the next week or two, might venture into a bit of commuting come the better weather :)
  • dw300 wrote:
    My 'I can just about afford to crash this' race bike .. still a few loose ends to tidy up.

Post your rides!

ui80.jpg

That stem could slammed a bit more, you need one of these. :P

deda_zero100Pista_stem.jpg

No racing for me this year, I want another year's experience before I give it a go. The crashes in races scare the bejesus out of me though.