Tdf Stage 6 *Spoiler*

167891012»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Menchov def ftw.

Poels rode 10km before he got persuaded to get off.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Menchov def ftw.

Poels rode 10km before he got persuaded to get off.

He only punctured one lung didn't he? Breathe through the other one, lightweight!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Having read this report http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12310/Freire-Vigano-and-others-out-of-Tour-de-France-as-crash-toll-continues-in-race.aspx
    Several other riders are also out of the race as a result of today’s carnage. Davide Viganò is one of those and, according to his Lampre-ISD team-mate Danilo Hondo, the crash may have originated with him. “Viganò was putting Petacchi's shoes covers in his jersey, when some riders ahead slowed down. Davide had only one hand on the handlebars, so he could not brake properly and he fell into the ditch on the roadside. Then all the rest of the group crashed, Scarponi too."
    I just saw it again on ES.
    You can see Vigano I think it is in the ditch, the spectator in yellow was lying down too on the same side, further back initially when you first see the crash.
    Point being they were going down hill, and yet they slow up Hondo says. OK chances are it was just the natural movement of the group, but I really hope it wasn't slowing due to another spectator getting too close.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tommy D's bike is broken

http://twitpic.com/a4oa8x/full
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • New Cervelo folding bike
  • Seeing these pictures of smashed frames, how long before we have the horror of a carbon tube spearing someone, I shudder how sharp and strong those broken tubes are.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wynants 2 broken ribs and perforated lung.

Almost the same for Oscar Freire (just one rib for him)
    Not a great way to end a career.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Seeing these pictures of smashed frames, how long before we have the horror of a carbon tube spearing someone, I shudder how sharp and strong those broken tubes are.

At 70km at hour a broken bit of aluminium or steel would do a fair bit of damage.

I know there are always crashes in the first week, but today was a bit mad wasn't it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    iainf72 wrote:
    Menchov is going to win, isn't he?
    He has a history of bizarre solo falls though.
  • Yes but steel and ally frames very rarely fail like the carbon. If a metal frame goes it's normally at a joint not halfway down the tube ready to impale someone.

I am ready for FF to post a picture contrary - but I have never seen a steel frame snap like that.

Now please don't think I want us all to ride steel - I don't, but it does look like sooner or later somebody will have a big bit of carbon stuck into them.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wynants 2 broken ribs and perforated lung.

Pretty sure he still finished the stage.

Hospital won't let him leave for 5 days.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Poels has 3 fractured ribs, a bruised lung and a ripped spleen and kidney. Holy crap!

https://twitter.com/VacansoleilDCM/stat ... 1821117440
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    2009_01_01_archive.html

That looks like it could impale someone.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vansummeren looks like he got in a fight with a lion.

That explains what caused the crash, then. You'd think someone would have seen it prowling around at the side of the road and gota rid of it before the peloton arrived.

Hha, these lions can be quick though and break from cover rapidly.

Yeah there were reports that some of the lions the RSN bus got out of control when one of them put on a Garmin hat in support of DZ in the break, with the possibility one escaped during the resulting catfight. ... all adds up now.
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=736&filename=cm4t.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    www.dotcycling.com
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Oh and now I read on CN that the commies have hit
    Gesink and Kruijswijk with a 20 sec time penalty for drafting.
    Nice touch of sympathy, that. :roll:

Unbelievable! In all that carnage the commissaire was trying to clear the road to get the car through. Never mind bits of body and bike all over the road.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Oh and now I read on CN that the commies have hit
    Gesink and Kruijswijk with a 20 sec time penalty for drafting.
    Nice touch of sympathy, that. :roll:

Unbelievable! In all that carnage the commissaire was trying to clear the road to get the car through. Never mind bits of body and bike all over the road.

Commisaires stop for no man.

155kl5x.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Gee, photos of the cyclists look pretty beat up
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_m6r6rjUleR1qacyk6o1_500.jpg

610x.jpg