2012 Tour De France Spolier Thread

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Where was Sagan?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where was Sagan?

Crash apparently
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where was Sagan?

Crash apparently
    Got taken out by Tyler Farrar's riderless bike...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    BigMat wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Cav well beaten there. Still feeling it from yesterday?

He seemed a bit all over the place in the final km - first he was second wheel behind EBH far too early, then seemed to fall way back, then got boxed in a bit. Not a good day at the office.

It looked like he ended-up at the front far too early. I think with 1.5k left he only had EBH leading him out, at that stage they easily could have used 2 more in the train, especially with the hill.

He almost would have been better-off not having the lead-out and trying to get Griepels or Goss' wheel.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • tailwindhome
    Shamelessly reposted from Pro Race - Just for DDD

tumblr_m6lw99aCiR1qznlju.gif
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Shamelessly reposted from Pro Race - Just for DDD

tumblr_m6lw99aCiR1qznlju.gif

:lol::lol::lol:
  • jonny_trousers
    Whatever the reason for Cav getting it wrong yesterday, it made me think about what's going to happen this time next year for Team Sky. It's fine this year, as Cav has been tossed the bone of olympic glory, but next year at The Tour, Bradley is either going to be defending his title (I hope), and obviously will be wanting to put up a good fight, or he'll be having another pop at it before it's too late. Cav will surely want the green jersey back by then, and although he may be the most talented sprinter in the world today, can he realistically compete, race after race, with sprinters who have highly organised lead out trains? Despite all the glamour that comes with joining Team Sky might he be sacrificing his goals?

PS. I know I should really take this to Pro Race, but I have a feeling I'd be eaten alive there.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Sagan has put a bell on his bike. ffs :lol:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • tailwindhome
    Whatever the reason for Cav getting it wrong yesterday, it made me think about what's going to happen this time next year for Team Sky. It's fine this year, as Cav has been tossed the bone of olympic glory, but next year at The Tour, Bradley is either going to be defending his title (I hope), and obviously will be wanting to put up a good fight, or he'll be having another pop at it before it's too late. Cav will surely want the green jersey back by then, and although he may be the most talented sprinter in the world today, can he realistically compete, race after race, with sprinters who have highly organised lead out trains? Despite all the glamour that comes with joining Team Sky might he be sacrificing his goals?

PS. I know I should really take this to Pro Race, but I have a feeling I'd be eaten alive there.

Pro Race is safe for newcomers.

Sheriff Chasey is cleaning up the town.

Sky's priorities for next year will depend on the course of the TDF. This year is Wiggins best hope of winning, long on TT miles and with relatively easy mountain stages. If he can't win this year he never will

Cavs priorities for this year would seem to been the Milan San Remo which was a disaster - dropped on an early climb and wheezing like me on a club run. He went to the Giro and started to win some stages. He had a good crack at the point jersey but came up short as Joachim (sp?) Rodriguez was too strong on the mountain stages. (I think the point structure for the Giro isn't as weighted towards flat stages)

Personally I'd be suprised if Cav is still in the TDF by after the first rest day. His goal is Olympic gold. I can see him going home to prepare. Some of his rivals for gold including Boonen have avoided the TDF altogether and have decided to race the Tour of Poland instead.

You should pop over to Pro Race - Rick has a newbie thread going for 'dumb' questions, posters there are enthusiastic, though as with any forum it takes while to get the humour/in jokes. Get involved with the PTP (Pro Tour Pundit) thread too. It's like having money on the race, only more important
  • tailwindhome
    Another repost from Pro Race.....great wee blog article from Robert Millar

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... econd-more
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    "Suitcase of courage" @ 9km to go.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Sagan

Hell Yeah!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK, credit where it is due. That was a good win.

"gumbles"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    On a dead pan flat sprint.

If I was the Olympic organisation I would be getting at least prepared to put the Slovak national anthem in a few weeks time.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    gabriel959 wrote:

If I was the Olympic organisation I would be getting at least prepared to put the Slovak national anthem in a few weeks time.

Yes. Cav yesterday looked like his legs just didn't have the zing in them that they usually have. He sat in behind Greipel, but you could see form the overhead shot that he had nothing in them when he needed it.

I wonder how much longer he will stay in the Tour this year.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Yes. Cav yesterday looked like his legs just didn't have the zing in them that they usually have. He sat in behind Greipel, but you could see form the overhead shot that he had nothing in them when he needed it.

I wonder how much longer he will stay in the Tour this year.

Goss had him well beat for the intermediate too (the lower placings after the break went through)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Cav not having much luck, and doesn't seem to have the legs at the moment. Greipel was a bit crash damaged today so would have done well to beat Sagan, not sure on Goss' excuse though - that was a golden opportunity for him. Sagan probably Olympic favourite right now, but a lot can change in 3 weeks. Boonen will be there and hopefully Cav will find some form.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Also thought the guy whose chain snapped seemed remarkably balanced throughout the process. The only time it's happened to me was when I was going uphill. I hit the deck like a sack of spuds. Only quicker.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Johan Van Summeren, wincing across the finish line, wearing one and a half shoes and about one third of a jersey. Hero.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gabriel959 wrote:

They've been scrounging around for a Belgian anthem since April...
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Tasty finish to todays stage! Really thought evans had it in bag but he wasnt even close
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yesterday was just brilliant. :D

@twh - your boy, Roche, is doing well. Beat Martin up there, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonny_trousers
    Astonishing last push from Chris Froome.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Huge day tomorrow!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • tailwindhome
    Best thing could happen today is for Evans to beat Wiggins in the TT by about 4 seconds.

Then we could have a exciting race.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I reckon Wiggins will put at least half a minute into Evans.

That could still spice things up as Evans will have to seriously attack Wiggins in the mountains, rather than trying to grab a few seconds at the end of a stage.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    t4tomo wrote:

That could still spice things up as Evans will have to seriously attack Wiggins in the mountains, rather than trying to grab a few seconds at the end of a stage.

During the stage that Froome won, I was a bit surprised to hear Phil & Paul saying that Evans had explosive acceleration on the climbs, more so that any other rider in the lead bunch.

When did he acquire that skill? All the time I can remember watching him he's been a grim sight, grimacing as others burst out of the pack and then winding up his diesel engine to reel them back in. Or not.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

During the stage that Froome won, I was a bit surprised to hear Phil & Paul saying that Evans had explosive acceleration on the climbs, more so that any other rider in the lead bunch.

When did he acquire that skill? All the time I can remember watching him he's been a grim sight, grimacing as others burst out of the pack and then winding up his diesel engine to reel them back in. Or not.

He's always had it.

Most of his stage wins have come from short steep hill finishes.

Think stage 3 last year.

Think his Fleche Wallonne win, or that Giro win.

Now that there's less juice about, Evans is nearer the front.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

I'm not the only one that thought that :wink:

I think it was actually during last years tour or maybe the year before, Phil and Paul kept saying how Evans would have wind up his engine to follow an attack from Shleck or Contador as he didn't have the same quick acceleration as them.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Was there on Saturday. First time at the TdF and it was such a buzz.

Walked up Les Planches Des Belles Filles to about the 2km mark and watched from there. Saw Froome and Brad come past on the front, which was a huge relief as I was expecting some attacks earlier on and Brad to be a bit further back.

Icing on the cake was when we were driving back to our accommodation in Belfort we saw the Sky bus pulling into the Novotel. By the time we'd got parked the riders had jumped into the hotel, but hung around for a while having a look at the bikes being cleaned by the mechanics. Had a brief chat with Rod Ellingworth. Then Brad and Chris turned up in one of the Jag's, so shook Chris's hand and congratulated him, and got a couple of decent shots.

Went to the depart in the town yesterday and hung around for while and got a few shots, one of Brad in Yellow and Chris in KOM jersey.

Great experience and will most probably be back next year.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807