2012 Tour De France Spolier Thread

Comments

• Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    so taping up your helmet helped how?
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    so glad my office has enough cyclists to ensure we get one TV tuned to the tour and one to the tennis :)
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    When I grow up I want to be Sagan

(sagging more likely....boom boom)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Lets be honest Cav is the best at what he does but little else.

:roll:

Like saying Contador is a shoot rider because all he can do is climb well. Cav can change his style I'm sure, but why the hell would you want to when what you do best brings you the most fame, the most money, and the best qaulity of life that cycling can offer?

Sagan was nowhere yesterday, he is certainly an amazing talent, but he too looks to be more of a classics type rider that has a decent sprint rather than anything else. Time will tell, but I suspect he is going to probably end up following a similar path to Cancellara given his tt ability and what not.

He finished 6th, not bad for a 22 year old.

Actually Contador is very good at Time Trialling. I dislike the bloke though.

Sagan has won bunch sprints, up hill sprints and a time trial and he is 22. Lets compare when he is 27, shall we?

"One trick pony" Cavendish has won world and Commonwealth titles on the track, time trials and a stage race. He also puts in useful efforts in team time trials and, back to the obvious, is about as good an all round sprinter as you could ever hope to see.

Commonwhat? LOL I do see what you are saying regarding the World Track titles he has won though, although it has been a while since that. Time Trials? As far as I know he has only once won a prologue (a 2km one!) and that was in 2007 at the Tour of Britain. I wouldn't say that is Time Trialling form... Stage Races, you mean the one he won before the Tour, is it that stage race where he didn't even win a stage?

The Cavendish I know drags his ass uphill, or gets it dragged by team cars or a member of the public. The one that know is a bad sore loser, always bad mouthing when he doesn't win or things don't go his way. He only won the green jersey in the tour because you don't even have to be inside the time limit anymore.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907

runningman.gif
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Mattsaw wrote:

runningman.gif

He's practically kissing his guns and sniffing his own pits in a sort of Fish Called Wanda stylee :lol:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If he had proper stones he would have covered Sylvain Chavanel's attack OR led the reeling and then roared to victory.

I'm not saying he isn't good, clearly he has some talent and I don't dislike that. He also brings excitement to uphill sprint finishes. But like Cav, and unlike Cancellara - who he is mostly compared to, I don't enjoy watching him throughout an entire stage.

T'was a good win for him yesterday, but he showed nothing new to me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If he had proper stones he would have covered Sylvain Chavanel's attack OR led the reeling and then roared to victory.

I'm not saying he isn't good, clearly he has some talent and I don't dislike that. He also brings excitement to uphill sprint finishes. But like Cav, and unlike Cancellara - who he is mostly compared to, I don't enjoy watching him throughout an entire stage.

You do post some nonsense.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You do post some nonsense.

He just has very high standards, keeps the newcomer on his toes. I have no doubt Sagan will be reading this and planning something really special over the next dew stages...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    He has won 66% of the TDF stages he has competed in. He has never come lower than 4th.
    He is 22 years old. Born in the 1990s no less.
    Ivan Basson is his super-domestique.
    He seems to be having a whale of a time.

So far, he is the best thing about this TdF.

(I realise we're only 4 days in)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edited July 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its a 3 week race. You don't go around p1ssing away energy just to make your victory look more impressive.

BTW, DDD, how's your racing career going? ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Good win (again) for Sagan, he is a bit of a knob though.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tailwindhome

Some people don't like that.

Don't underestimate how good a win that was. To open up a timeable gap over the best riders in the world and while showboating over the line is incredible.

More power to him.

The green jersey competition is over (if he makes it to Paris)
  • DonDaddyD
    He has won 66% of the TDF stages he has competed in. He has never come lower than 4th.

So far, he is the best thing about this TdF.[/quote]

1. It's the first week, finishing no lower than 4th - where did he come in the prologue - is cool, he'll resume his role as domestique to Nibali when the road goes upwards.
    2. I'm not seeing the significance of this "Born in the 1990s" buzzphrase. Time moves forward, not backwards sideways, upwards or downwards. As time progresses we were always bound to see a professional rider born in the 90s. It wasn't that great an era anyway.
    3. Benefit of a strong team and a testament to good rider and once potential GC contender (Basso) doing his part for the team. I always like it when names put their ego's/reputation to the side and work for their teammates I hope Sagan does the same for Nibali when called upon.
    4. That he is, with arrogant celebrations et al.

Personally I think the crashes, the uniformity and strength of the BMC and Radioshack team,s the dynamic of team Sky Wiggins/Cavendish are all great things about this tour. Sagan's wins are interesting but I choose to reserve judgement for when he gets the challenge his supposed talent demands.
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its a 3 week race. You don't go around p1ssing away energy just to make your victory look more impressive.

He is not going to win, I'm not sure he'll ever win a Grand Tour. Impressive wins in week one is likely what he'll take from this Tour, so yeah! I'd expect him to make them look as impressive as possible.

I am a spectator, like any fan of any sport I have an opinion.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    He was nowhere in the prologue. The 3 road stages were 2 wins and a 6th.

I don't think he'll be a domestique when the road goes up - he'll be picking up intermediate points and making sure he finishes each day just inside the cut off. His target for this Tour must be the green jersey.
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sagan's wins are interesting but I choose to reserve judgement for when he gets the challenge his supposed talent demands.

I know I'm biting but.... what challenge is it you're expecting for him?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bickering about whether Sagan is a knob or not aside*, I've also been impressed by the chap in the polka dot jersey. getting into the breakaway 2 days in a row and being first up a minor molehill or two to keep himself in the jersey was great going. Team sponsors must be well happy with him.

* OK day one I thought he was a bit cocky, but I'm warming to him. FFS he's just won 2 stage in his first tour in week 1, why not celebrate a bit. Cav has showed him that as a pure sprinter he isn't there yet, but he's proving he can walk the walk as a well as talk the talk on these bumpy stages / finishes. Be interesting to see how he goes in the Alps. Given how few pure sprint finished there are, I reckon he's a good bet for green.

Is he in the Olympic road race?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gabriel959
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So far, he is the best thing about this TdF.

1. It's the first week, finishing no lower than 4th - where did he come in the prologue - is cool, he'll resume his role as domestique to Nibali when the road goes upwards.
    2. I'm not seeing the significance of this "Born in the 1990s" buzzphrase. Time moves forward, not backwards sideways, upwards or downwards. As time progresses we were always bound to see a professional rider born in the 90s. It wasn't that great an era anyway.
    3. Benefit of a strong team and a testament to good rider and once potential GC contender (Basso) doing his part for the team. I always like it when names put their ego's/reputation to the side and work for their teammates I hope Sagan does the same for Nibali when called upon.
    4. That he is, with arrogant celebrations et al.

Personally I think the crashes, the uniformity and strength of the BMC and Radioshack team,s the dynamic of team Sky Wiggins/Cavendish are all great things about this tour. Sagan's wins are interesting but I choose to reserve judgement for when he gets the challenge his supposed talent demands.
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

He is not going to win, I'm not sure he'll ever win a Grand Tour. Impressive wins in week one is likely what he'll take from this Tour, so yeah! I'd expect him to make them look as impressive as possible.

I am a spectator, like any fan of any sport I have an opinion.[/quote]

Right now it is difficult to say what else he can win, he is only 22 and therefore the sky is the limit seeing what he has been doing. He has penciled another couple of stages and the green jersey. I would say 4 stages and the Green Jersey would be a tremendous achievement for him.

If he continues this progression I would expect him to challenge for anything in the coming years. C'mon if Wiggins can be touted as a candidate Sagan must be within a chance.

But if you want to stick to facts, he hasn't won a Monument yet, only stages in stage races.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    The fact that we are talking about Sagan at all, far less without even mentioning the White jersey says it all.

Outstanding debut regardless of what may or may not follow.

Give the guy some credit even if you don't like his personality.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    daviesee wrote:
    The fact that we are talking about Sagan at all, far less without even mentioning the White jersey says it all.

Agreed; he's an animal. He may be cocky, but so what? He's entitled to be. You don't become a great sportsman without self belief. Apart from anything, the way he crosses the line - irrespective of the fact that he has actually won - is a sponsor's dream and therefore his stock will have gone through the roof (if you want to be cynical about it).

As for the Cavendish bashing: I just don't get it. The guy is the best in the world at what he does. If the TDF weren't interested in creating races to showcase sprinters then there would be no points competition. It's like slagging off those focussing on KOM for being poor sprinters. Pointless. If you only admire all-rounders then only concentrate on GC, but that's not what the Tour is about.

Loving it so far.

While I'm here, I have to say I am really enjoying ITV4s highlights show. I guess hardcore, embittered roadies might find it patronising, but I like the little, informative snippets after the breaks. And Gary Imlach might be a bit too clever for his own good, but you've got to love his little pieces to camera and his snide comments. Only thing I have to moan about is 'The Dour de Francis' ( :shock: ) and the fact that Halfords are offering crappy, Carrera mountain bikes as prizes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    While I'm here, I have to say I am really enjoying ITV4s highlights show. I guess hardcore, embittered roadies might find it patronising, but I like the little, informative snippets after the breaks.

It's nicely done but it is still pretty weak in the more interesting stages - you know every clip is going to feature some action so there's no real anticipation. The fun (for me!) is watching the tension build and not knowing when someone is going to make a move - for that you have to watch the afternoon programme.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gabriel959
    daviesee wrote:

Agreed; he's an animal. He may be cocky, but so what? He's entitled to be. You don't become a great sportsman without self belief. Apart from anything, the way he crosses the line - irrespective of the fact that he has actually won - is a sponsor's dream and therefore his stock will have gone through the roof (if you want to be cynical about it).

As for the Cavendish bashing: I just don't get it. The guy is the best in the world at what he does. If the TDF weren't interested in creating races to showcase sprinters then there would be no points competition. It's like slagging off those focussing on KOM for being poor sprinters. Pointless. If you only admire all-rounders then only concentrate on GC, but that's not what the Tour is about.

Loving it so far.

While I'm here, I have to say I am really enjoying ITV4s highlights show. I guess hardcore, embittered roadies might find it patronising, but I like the little, informative snippets after the breaks. And Gary Imlach might be a bit too clever for his own good, but you've got to love his little pieces to camera and his snide comments. Only thing I have to moan about is 'The Dour de Francis' ( :shock: ) and the fact that Halfords are offering crappy, Carrera mountain bikes as prizes.

I wouldn't have a problem with Cav if he could drag his ass up hill. He has only won the points jersey because now it doesn't even matter if you aren't inside the time limit anymore in certain circumstances. A true green jersey win was Hushovd's the year before...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Rolf F wrote:
    The fun (for me!) is watching the tension build and not knowing when someone is going to make a move.

watch the whole thing live then or record the full race coverage. Highlights by their nature are going to include the exciting bits or bits of relevance to the overall picture, like a favorite having a mechanical,
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's nicely done but it is still pretty weak in the more interesting stages - you know every clip is going to feature some action so there's no real anticipation. The fun (for me!) is watching the tension build and not knowing when someone is going to make a move - for that you have to watch the afternoon programme.

WFH FTW 8)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I wouldn't have a problem with Cav if he could drag his ass up hill. He has only won the points jersey because now it doesn't even matter if you aren't inside the time limit anymore in certain circumstances. A true green jersey win was Hushovd's the year before...

ISTR Cav showed a lot of humility and respect after Hushovd's solo ride. Which was all the more impressive as he'd been slinging some mud Thor's way a few days earlier over lines or barging or somesuch (cannot now recall the specifics).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Greg66 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

ISTR Cav showed a lot of humility and respect after Hushovd's solo ride. Which was all the more impressive as he'd been slinging some mud Thor's way a few days earlier over lines or barging or somesuch (cannot now recall the specifics).

Didnt Cav also get deducted points that year that if he didnt he would have won the green that year as well.

Fair play to Thor though for the mountain attack.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    gabriel959 wrote:

The rules are the rules. You might as well moan about Spain winning the euros because they kept using substitutes whereas back in the day that was never allowed.
    <a>road</a>
  • DonDaddyD
    So Sagan showed that he can't win a sprint on the flat even with the best not present - shame Cav wasn't able to 'learn him some schooling'

Yeah, a proper green jersey hopeful a sprinter who can't win outright sprints.
    Food Chain number = 4

• gabriel959
    Sagan showed he can stay up right and stay out of trouble and finish 5th. Cav needs to have some positional lessons, he could learn from the 22 year old or even from Freire. Anyway that is the points classification for you.

In any case won't need to have his ass pushed up hill either like Cav does.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:

The rules are the rules. You might as well moan about Spain winning the euros because they kept using substitutes whereas back in the day that was never allowed.

My moan is more the fact that he breaks the rules by actually having mechanics or members of the public pushing him up hill. That is illegal and should carry a disqualification.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x