2012 Tour De France Spolier Thread

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Pictures or it didnt happen...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    suzyb wrote:
    I'm not the only one that thought that :wink:

I think it was actually during last years tour or maybe the year before, Phil and Paul kept saying how Evans would have wind up his engine to follow an attack from Shleck or Contador as he didn't have the same quick acceleration as them.

Exactly. And I remember him being completely beasted by the Schlecks and Sastre the year Sastre won (and Sastre seems to be fairly widely regarded as a clean rider).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    I'm not the only one that thought that :wink:

I think it was actually during last years tour or maybe the year before, Phil and Paul kept saying how Evans would have wind up his engine to follow an attack from Shleck or Contador as he didn't have the same quick acceleration as them.

Exactly. And I remember him being completely beasted by the Schlecks and Sastre the year Sastre won (and Sastre seems to be fairly widely regarded as a clean rider).

:p

See my post.

He's good on the steeper hills. He's got the engine to go very quick up them, and he has the ability to measure out his performance over the whole hill. He's not explosive, but the really steep stuff isn't really 'explosive'.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    rubertoe wrote:

Froome arriving at hotel after stage win.
    7534524612_243a9c92f7_c.jpg

Brad in Yellow from yesterday
    7534525224_5a8b90ca8a_c.jpg

Good to see the best teams in The Tour still use Wiggle's finest.
    7534527588_cf93216ccc_c.jpg
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    rubertoe wrote:
    He was clearly DYING for someone to say that!

Nice pics :-)
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yep, I concur I agree with this guy:
    DDD wrote:
    Cadel is looking strong, so is Wiggins. The Canondale guy, Nibali will be 3rd.
    When the road goes properly up, Nibali will be the GC contender for Liquigas
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Great little ride by Pinot. FDJ FTW.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    vermin wrote:
    Great little ride by Pinot. FDJ FTW.
    Loved that. Marc Madiot in the team car was brilliant.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yep, I concur I agree with this guy:
    DDD wrote:
    Cadel is looking strong, so is Wiggins. The Canondale guy, Nibali will be 3rd.
    When the road goes properly up, Nibali will be the GC contender for Liquigas

Whoever has the lowest cumulative time after todays stage will be wearing a Yellow Jersey for Wednesday's stage.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I just spotted a Kingston Wheeler in full kit and a natty yellow cap/shades combo, taking photos of Chavanel at the TT. Anyone?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Could be any one of 500 people haha!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Conclusion of TT on R5 at the moment. Wiggo well on track to take my prediction of 30 seconds plus out of Evans. Froome going very well too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nice win for Brad. Froome only 7 seconds behind Evans in the GC. Game on!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    If Wiggins stays upright from now to Paris this Tour is over.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    With Froome so close to Evans, it could be a Sky 1-2.
    Evans will have to make a break in the mountains to take time out of Wiggins and Froome but if they work together, which I'm sure they will, they could break him badly.
    If Cav gets a few stage wins Sky will love it and it will set Team GB up nicely, at least psycologically. I'm sure the legs will be a bit sore after 3 weeks of the Tour and only a week off, but as MRS said, "Doing nothing works wonders"

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wait, what? Linda McCartney cycling team?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Question is now will Evans try to attack Brad or settle into his defensive mode as he knows if he attacks and cracks Froome may well nip past him in the GC? Actually Team TT could send Froome past Evans, Sky look stronger than BMC at the moment.

Would love to see Wiggins and Froome (with Porte's help one would assume) just ride away from Cadel on one of the mountain stages.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Have to admit, didn't expect him to take that much time out of Evans. Or Froome to do so well.

But then what do I know :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Wiggins and Froome but if they work together, which I'm sure they will, they could break him badly.

They won't try to break him. I don't think they could anyway. They won't expend one drop of energy doing something they don't have to do.

The plan will be sit on the front for as long as possible on each climb to make it impossible for Evans/Nibali to attack them. It's going to be boring but effective.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    suzyb wrote:
    Have to admit, didn't expect him to take that much time out of Evans. Or Froome to do so well.

But then what do I know :wink:
    Nor did I. It was a similar difference in the dauphine a few weeks back but I thought it would be closer in the tour
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

For now.

On the basis of today, Froome will sweep past Evans in the last ITT.

But Sky can sit back in the mountains and defend. Let Evans and Nibili attack, and cover the attacks. Froome won't be allowed to attack because it will force Evans to counter and leave Wiggins having to chase Evans with no one to help him if he gets into trouble. More likely Sky will wait: if Evans blows then Froome gets his 14 seconds. If not, then Froome may get the liberty to try to take a crafty few seconds over the last 500m here and there.

If Nibili's and Evans' teams decide to work together things might get a lot more interesting.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD

No it isn't. While Cadel isn't necessarily explosive he can, and has in the past as it has been done to him, chip away at the race leader. In the high mountains Cadel will attack, attack and attack (or as Cadel put it last year "ride into the wind"). He has nothing to lose.

For every stage win Cadel now goes for Bradley will have to keep him in check and stay with him. Bradley (and Cadel) also needs to keep an eye Nibali and make sure that Chris Froome doesn't dick Bradley over again, like he did at the Vuelta.

It wouldn't surprise me if Froome, who may still be up there by Thursday, starts thinking "If I go for this stage win...." If Bradley even hints at weakness it wouldn't surprise me if Froome spends a couple days in yellow (possibly in Paris).

And I'm saying this so that if it comes to reality I can repost it... (and shut you lot up after you've shouted me down)

The one thing that irks me about Wiggins, which is what saw his team mate beat him at last years Veluta, is that he never goes for the kill and kills off his opponent (TT not withstanding but its a different kind of race). Wiggins will play it safe and probably never break Cadel and that'll open the race for Nibali and, surprisingly, Froome - who is hungry and arsehole enough (like Cav) to go on leave his Captain and win.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Question is now will Evans try to attack Brad or settle into his defensive mode as he knows if he attacks and cracks Froome may well nip past him in the GC? Actually Team TT could send Froome past Evans, Sky look stronger than BMC at the moment.

Would love to see Wiggins and Froome (with Porte's help one would assume) just ride away from Cadel on one of the mountain stages.
    I didn't think there was a team TT this year? Mind, after that performance, Froome looks likely to take quite some time out of Evans on a 53.5km time trial.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You do talk a lot of utter bollocks.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • EKE_38BPM
    Greg66 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

For now.

On the basis of today, Froome will sweep past Evans in the last ITT.

But Sky can sit back in the mountains and defend. Let Evans and Nibili attack, and cover the attacks. Froome won't be allowed to attack because it will force Evans to counter and leave Wiggins having to chase Evans with no one to help him if he gets into trouble. More likely Sky will wait: if Evans blows then Froome gets his 14 seconds. If not, then Froome may get the liberty to try to take a crafty few seconds over the last 500m here and there.

If Nibili's and Evans' teams decide to work together things might get a lot more interesting.

Yeah, my bad.

Evans is nearly 2 minutes behind Brad, with all of the lead coming in TTs (the Prologue and today's stage) and there is another TT the day before Paris. As TTs are more up Brad's alley than Cadel's, Evans will have to try to take at least three minutes out of Brad in the mountains and I can't see that happening.

It looks like Sky have all bases covered.

I'm getting all excited for a Wiggins win.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'm getting all excited for a Wiggins win.

S'a good job.

Shaping up to be a Tour de Bore unless Froome can start putting some heavy time into Wiggins.

This is turning out very similarly to the Vuelta - only without the competition.
  • okgo wrote:
    Is that just a general comment, or is it aimed at anyone in particular?

smiley20whistling.gif
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No it isn't. While Cadel isn't necessarily explosive he can, and has in the past as it has been done to him, chip away at the race leader. In the high mountains Cadel will attack, attack and attack (or as Cadel put it last year "ride into the wind"). He has nothing to lose. .

'cept there aren't enough mountains to gain back 2 mins plus the 2 mins he'll need for the next TT which is longer than the last TT.

Nope it's over. I wish it weren't so. But it is.

As for Froome V Wiggins you would need to think that team orders will be respected. If Froome wants the yellow he'll have to take it during the last TT.
    And I'm saying this

I'm not sure what you are actually saying

But yes. Froome, Evans, Nibali or Wiggins will win.
  • DonDaddyD
    okgo wrote:
    If Wiggins even slips I bet you Froome won't be there waiting to tow him back to the front of the group. Froome is there as insurance. If anything happens to Wiggins, he is the next viable option for British Tour De France winner. Brailsford isn't stupid he isn't going to risk the overall goal of that, the original remit of Team Sky.

Wiggins may as well start seeing Froome as much as a threat as Cadel and Nibali.

So Wiggins has a target on his back. Attacks from Nibali, Cadel and potentially Froome, who will no doubt stick to him like glue (duh, Vuelta...). Wiggins would do himself some favors by riding off into the Sunset and win a stage putting more time into the above. He won't though, he'll play it safe and that makes him prey to the others.

I hope not, I like Wiggins, I do. I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks.
    Food Chain number = 4