2012 Tour De France Spolier Thread

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    JZed wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Froome is being paid a lot less to help him.

Rumour is that Wiggo and Cav are on £1.5m a year.

I know how much Cav is on. And I know what Wiggins was on last year. Those figures are miles out.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    what are they on then?

trying to decide if its worth my while sacking off the law and taking up pro cycling.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I know how much Cav is on. And I know what Wiggins was on last year. Those figures are miles out.

How did you get to know outa interest?

I thought the deals were around 1.5 for the duration of the contract, rather than per year?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Greg66 wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

How did you get to know outa interest?

I thought the deals were around 1.5 for the duration of the contract, rather than per year?

Cavendish was apparently on £800k at HTC (Basic salary) and was meant to have doubled it by moving to Sky and was put on the same salary as Wiggins.

Either way - Chris Froome is paid a lot more than I had thought.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    Your figures don't seem right.

Sky thought Froome was worth £100k but because a couple of other teams were interested they upped there offer to £1.2million???
    Apparantly Froome is on £1.2m a year. Sky had offered him £100k before the Vuelta but had to up it with Nissan Trek. AG2R and Astana after him. Rumour is that Wiggo and Cav are on £1.5m a year.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Your figures don't seem right.

Sky thought Froome was worth £100k but because a couple of other teams were interested they upped there offer to £1.2million???

According to Richard Moore, before the Vuelta 2011, Sky had offered Froome £100k per year. He'd been ill for a couple of years, and then in the Vuelta he became hot stuff, outriding Wiggins in the mountains. A number of teams were interested as his ranking would secure them a place in the TdF. It was reported that he had offers from Radioshack of €750k a year, and then Ag2R and Astana upped the offer to €1.4m.

Edit: Moore does comment that the original offer of £100k per year was "derisory".
  • tailwindhome
    Wish I had an agent
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wish I had an agent

Wish I thought 100K a year was derisory.
  • tailwindhome
    Sagan has attacked and opened up a 10s lead.

We're only 5k into the stage

Love this guy!
  • Big break now with over 3 mins. And Jens is in it. We love Jens.

Did you know he's Angelina Jolie's dad?
  • tailwindhome
    Break looks interesting.
  • Big break now with over 3 mins. And Jens is in it. We love Jens.

Did you know he's Angelina Jolie's dad?

I think he's pretty much everyone's dad. I heard that he ever stared directly into the sun, that the celestial orb would run away, shuffling it's feet and the world would be plunged into eternal darkness.
  • clarkey cat
    today's going to be thrilling - I might clear off to Look Mum No Hands and watch it this afternoon.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Jens Voight just handed a bottle to the BMC guy (Berghart?) because he dropped his muset. The man is a LEGEND!

And the Skoda advert is back on :D
  • clarkey cat
    well, I was hoping to see some action in the peloton but nothing happened apart from Nibali's late attack. Still enjoyed having 3 pints of Bath Ale and watching lil' Tommy get a stage.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Apparently Froome has done most of his cycling in Kenya at the same sort of altitude as their marathon runners - the Alps must be a doddle

Jens is the man today even if he didn't win the stage
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Jens is the man today even if he didn't win the stage

I was willing Jensie on. he is always the man.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nice come back from Jens, and the constant attacking was a joy.
    However, I think Tommy deserved it for pulling Sammy wheelsucker most of the way.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Who is Sammy wheelsucker?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • daviesee
    Who is Sammy wheelsucker?
    Sorry. My bad. For some reason I was thinking of Sammy Sanchez.

The guy yesterday was Luis-Leon Sanchez. Wheelsucker.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    To be fair to LLS - he does have a broken wrist!

and from what i see at least he was willing to do some pulling unlike the OPQS rider (Dreis whatever).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Cancellara has left the Tour!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18812586

ETA: I read the article before I posted. Have read it now. He wants to be there when his wife gives birth. (If he) knew the due date as you will, it was probably his intention to leave during the second week... But if he knew that all along, then why take a space that someone else could have had and ridden for the full 3 weeks?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    he probably knew he had a good chance of wearing yellow so why not.

Leopard-Trek will be happy with that surely considering that this Tour is a bit of a write off for them.

He should MTFU though and just do his job. See the kid once he's finished.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Cancellara has left the Tour!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18812586

ETA: I read the article before I posted. Have read it now. He wants to be there when his wife gives birth. (If he) knew the due date as you will, it was probably his intention to leave during the second week... But if he knew that all along, then why take a space that someone else could have had and ridden for the full 3 weeks?
    Pah! Jens Voigt is a father of six and still has time to train and compete. Who's the Daddy?!
  • daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:

and from what i see at least he was willing to do some pulling unlike the OPQS rider (Dreis whatever).
    I only saw the highlights and can't remember any reference to his wrist so yes, he deserves respect for that. It just looked like wheel sucking to me. :oops:
    Main point stands though. Tommy well & truly deserved that stage although Jens gets plaudits for his panache. :P
    Signing off from this thread now so today's stage can be a surprise later.
  • tailwindhome

Leopard-Trek will be happy with that surely considering that this Tour is a bit of a write off for them.

Nothing left in this race for him.

Probably won't win the 2nd TT and no credible GC rider to help...and his teams a mess.

Go home. Be a good father and get ready for a crack at the Olympic TT
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    rubertoe wrote:

And look how well it worked for him :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342

Sponsors innit. They want to see their name on a jersey at the front, hence he goes for the prologue and a couple of stages while he's still in yellow or nearby. He's already done his job.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Olympics innit.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342

Olympics innit.

<slaps forehead> That too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition