2012 Tour De France Spolier Thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So Sagan showed that he can't win a sprint on the flat even with the best not present - shame Cav wasn't able to 'learn him some schooling'

Yeah, a proper green jersey hopeful a sprinter who can't win outright sprints.

You're just having a mini troll now, yeah?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I wouldn't have a problem with Cav if he could drag his ass up hill. He has only won the points jersey because now it doesn't even matter if you aren't inside the time limit anymore in certain circumstances. A true green jersey win was Hushovd's the year before...

The rules are the rules. You might as well moan about Spain winning the euros because they kept using substitutes whereas back in the day that was never allowed.

My moan is more the fact that he breaks the rules by actually having mechanics or members of the public pushing him up hill. That is illegal and should carry a disqualification.

Yawn.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So Sagan showed that he can't win a sprint on the flat even with the best not present - shame Cav wasn't able to 'learn him some schooling'

Yeah, a proper green jersey hopeful a sprinter who can't win outright sprints.

You're just having a mini troll now, yeah?
    Alright yeah.. I am. The guy probably will be great, I just don't like his attitude and I'm not in awe of him like I am other less prominant riders.

I don't think he is an outright (balls out on the flat) sprinter, he is powerful though.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I wouldn't have a problem with Cav if he could drag his ass up hill. He has only won the points jersey because now it doesn't even matter if you aren't inside the time limit anymore in certain circumstances. A true green jersey win was Hushovd's the year before...

The rules are the rules. You might as well moan about Spain winning the euros because they kept using substitutes whereas back in the day that was never allowed.

My moan is more the fact that he breaks the rules by actually having mechanics or members of the public pushing him up hill. That is illegal and should carry a disqualification.

Yawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG2-T3YP ... re=related
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • bigmat
    gabriel959 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Yawn.

And? That's cycling - if the commissaires consider it bad enough he'll be penalised, same as anyone else. Hell, they haven't exactly gone lightly on him / his teammates over the last few years.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    wish someone would do that for me up Broomfield
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Some excellent drafting skills on show by Nibali and teammate as they worked their way back to the peleton through the support vehicles today. He'd probably be pretty rapid through the London rush hour traffic :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't think he is an outright (balls out on the flat) sprinter, he is powerful though.
    The thing is that because he is in the Green Jersey you are comparing him with Mark Cavendish.
    We don't know, but I like to think of him (or anyone else similar, I have no allegiance) as a GC contender in the making, with panache. But I guess you don't like panache.
    Time will tell.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    gabriel959 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Yawn.

Was that it?!? :shock:

Clearly his entire career is a sham and he should be stripped of all victories this instant!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    From what I've seen of Peter Sagen in interviews he seems to have a pretty good attitude. His showboating his wins is nothing new and he's said himself it was only fun for the crowd. I've heard it said that, contrary to the showy victories, he's actually rather shy and unassuming off the bike.

As for him not being an out-and-out sprinter, I'm not sure he, or his team, have ever professed him to be (although I'm in no doubt he could be if that's the direction he chooses to go in). Clearly, as his two wins have shown so far, as well as his many other victories this season, he can compete with the best when faced with a certain type of finish and we surely have to give him massive respect for that.
  • DonDaddyD
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The thing is that because he is in the Green Jersey you are comparing him with Mark Cavendish.
    We don't know, but I like to think of him (or anyone else similar, I have no allegiance) as a GC contender in the making, with panache. But I guess you don't like panache.
    Time will tell.
    The guy sprints uphill. That's what he has shown so far. When the road goes properly up, Nibali will be the GC contender for Liquigas and Sagan the side act or domestique if he does his part for the team.

Contador, I'm a fan, has panache. He also isn't a dick when it comes to enjoying his ability.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Yawn.

Was that it?!? :shock:

Clearly his entire career is a sham and he should be stripped of all victories this instant!

I never said that, but that is illegal. He isn't worthy of a green jersey if he needs to be pushed up hill like that. He is the best sprinter in the world bar none though, but I don't think he is a great, yet.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    He also isn't a dick when it comes to enjoying his ability.

Eh?

alberto%2Bcontador%2Bdispara%2Bun%2Btiro%2Bpistolero.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    gabriel959 wrote:
    but I don't think he is a great, yet.

Tough crowd.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    so... arguments aside, this is my first year following the Tour (although i listened to all of the 2011 podcasts retrospectively and watched the stage highlights on yootoob) and, well, it's bloody great.

that is all.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • Gussio
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Eh?

Can't find a photo of Bertie when he put a dummy in his mouth crossing the line, but it is out there somewhere.
  • Gussio
    Remarkable timing indeed!
    "Miraculously, USADA has arranged for the suspensions to begin at the start at the end of the season so that they are able to race both the Tour de France and the Vuelta a Espana," the article states.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Eh?

Wasn't he a Tour de France winner by then?

I see nothing but class.
    Food Chain number = 4

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    From what I've seen of Peter Sagen in interviews he seems to have a pretty good attitude. His showboating his wins is nothing new and he's said himself it was only fun for the crowd. I've heard it said that, contrary to the showy victories, he's actually rather shy and unassuming off the bike.

As for him not being an out-and-out sprinter, I'm not sure he, or his team, have ever professed him to be (although I'm in no doubt he could be if that's the direction he chooses to go in). Clearly, as his two wins have shown so far, as well as his many other victories this season, he can compete with the best when faced with a certain type of finish and we surely have to give him massive respect for that.

Agree. I thought he lacked a bit of nous yesterday in getting on the right wheel, something Cav does instinctively, he tried to take on Griepel's train on his own at the other side of the road, but hey he's young and he'll learn.

He seems to me to be in a similir-ish mode to Gilbert although in decent form - what's happend to Gilbert this year, he's been very quiet so far.

As for you jokers arguing over the merits of Cav vs others - get a room please. I think many riders have take the odd mini tow on a bad day, I don't think the rest of peleton thinks any less of them if they aren't GC contenders.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Eh?

Wasn't he a Tour de France winner by then?

I see nothing but class.

LOL
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Heh. Eurosport pundits James Richardson et al are in LMNH this afternoon.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DDD, you should come and join us over in Pro Race.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tailwindhome
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DDD, you should come and join us over in Pro Race.

I'm not sure it's big enough for DDD and FF.

Though I've never seen them in the same place.....wait a minute...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just discovered these photos by a chap called Scott Mitchell. They're very good. Take a look...

Gallery.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Been meaning to ask this, but whats the point in the Sky team's taped up helmets?
  • tailwindhome
    notsoblue wrote:
    Been meaning to ask this, but whats the point in the Sky team's taped up helmets?

More aero (sp?)

Marginal gains innit.

They are wearing yellow as the leading team (lowest total time)
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Cav well beaten there. Still feeling it from yesterday?
  • gabriel959
    Apparently the save something like 4W with those helmets. Surely not worth it? More so if your head gets warmer.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • bigmat
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Cav well beaten there. Still feeling it from yesterday?

He seemed a bit all over the place in the final km - first he was second wheel behind EBH far too early, then seemed to fall way back, then got boxed in a bit. Not a good day at the office.