USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• The man from Del Monte, he say 'It was the meat'.

Sorry, wrong quote: 'It was my mother's milk'.

Err... 'It was the money?'
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Well thats that then. 7 years of cycling history down the drain - basically it never happened.

What a pointless sport pro cycling is. Just as well I enjoy riding my bike more than watching a loads of cheats pursue the fiction that is pro racing.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited August 2012
    So, what does this mean for George, Chris, Levi, and Dave?
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Surely that will become more evident when the Hog goes through his arbitration. That should also expose enough facts in public that Pharmstrong will have to back down on his threats against USADA
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Right now I want to see the testimonies released.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    symo wrote:

Maybe (at a stretch) Larry did this to protect his fellow riders ... there testimonies may not get an airing.

I said maybe...
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Bruyneel's arbitration ought to see to that
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • josame wrote:
    Maybe (at a stretch) Larry did this to protect his fellow riders ... there testimonies may not get an airing.

I said maybe...

I think they'll get aired in Bruyneel's arbitration, and there's also nothing to stop USADA summarising the evidence in their summing up if he's accepted the ban.

I notice he's threatening to sue USADA if they ban him.

Andy
  • I suspect the queue of people wanting their money back will bring all the evidence out anyway.
  • I can't believe that the Hog will actually go to arbitration, it seems at odds with Armstrong's strategy. Hmmmm.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I can't believe that the Hog will actually go to arbitration, it seems at odds with Armstrong's strategy. Hmmmm.
    Perhaps he still wants to work in sport?
  • Vino'sGhost
    symo wrote:

Ha I want to see Pats comments.

Ave long time coming calves
  • Any chance of "The French" coming after him on a criminal rap now, since a large portion of the offences would have taken place in France and they never liked him anyway?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I think George may say something when he retires.

Isn't the process that USADA have to go to USA Cycling and then the case has to get passed to the UCI with full details so they can ban him worldwide. Surely if he's finished with this then he can't really sue USADA.

This will all come out in public with the Bruyneel hearing so I guess we have to wait a bit longer to see exactly what details the USADA have.

Not really the D day we were expecting but as LA needs to keep a lid on all this prob the only action he could take and makes you wonder why he took this to court if he intended to ignore it
  • Vino'sGhost
    I have a momentary sense of remorse like the second you look down at the dead body of the stag when the hunt is over. The excitement is suddenly stopped .

Ave move along calves
  • In a way, as satisfying as this is, id rather see Bruyneel and the rest of them get got, they're still in cycling and in positions of influence at that

@gietvangent
  • "Perhaps he still wants to work in sport?"

He must be pretty confident that arbitration won't unearth anything that will get him a ban then. If so why didn't Armstrong go to arbitration?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^Or he's trying to avoid a lifetime ban...

Or *giggles* he's going to use it to come clean and admit everything *guffaws*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    this is what I was expecting to happen, I think I said it a couple of pages back - its the esy way out - the personal testimony against LA may not come out now (I think the Hog's will mainly be about supply and trafficing) and Im expecting a statement from the UCI (ie my mate pat) stating they dont recognize the authority of USADA and everything stays as it was... LA can even claim still that hes never been convicted.

If the testimonies do come out Im sure LA will use his usual bullying and character assasination to discredit them

Oh and of course it still gives his fans the chance to say it was a witchhunt and he was never convicted.
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • ddraver wrote:
    ^Or he's trying to avoid a lifetime ban...

He's been banned for life already. Only way out is arbitration, and he has said he doesn't want to do that.

Andy
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    In a way, as satisfying as this is, id rather see Bruyneel and the rest of them get got, they're still in cycling and in positions of influence at that

I think this is the most important aspect of the whole case. Armstrong is only a small part of the whole thing, and what I think should happen is that all the information about how all the doping happened and how The Conspiracy was allowed to unfold and gain momentum etc. Armstrong has done a very good PR job of making the focus all about him on a personal level, and I think USADA might have been taken in sometimes actually to their discredit, I dont know.

I hope like others have mentioned that the evidence comes out soon, in full, not to 'get' Lance, just to try and have some sort of watershed, after which cycling can just come to terms with its past and move on. The UCI needs to change too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BB would have liked this one
    The moral of the story is that if a cyclist looks too good to be true, then he probably is. But if a cyclist looks too good to be true and has an entourage of lawyers, press flaks, doctors and bodyguards, then he definitely is.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What a lovely start to a Bank Holiday Weekend.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    coriordan wrote:
    BB would have liked this one
    The moral of the story is that if a cyclist looks too good to be true, then he probably is. But if a cyclist looks too good to be true and has an entourage of lawyers, press flaks, doctors and bodyguards, then he definitely is.

Y'know, I was just thinking what would the greatly missed BB be scribbling on this thread when I scrolled onto this one. Aye, spot on.

So is it okay now, after all these years, to say: 'Lance Armstrong - a liar and a cheat' without censure? Am still unsure on that point.

Dennis would likely say "who cares?"
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mercsport wrote:
    [

Well my phone's been off the hook with friends calling me to ask WTF it all means and twitter's been trending Lance Armstrong, USADA, TdF and EPO since 6am this morning when I first checked - ahead of Brevik half the time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    @mercsport

BB = Yorkshire Man so if he wants to he ll be here. Suspect he can't cause enough arguments hough so he ll won't bother.

Now, Moray Gub is someone I'd like to hear from....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    I bet the UCI are in discussion about this right now - with Pat trying ot side with LA, and the sensible members (ie the guy that gave the press release tihs week) trying to make him see sense...

Wonder how long theyll take..?!
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mercsport wrote:
    [

Well my phone's been off the hook with friends calling me to ask WTF it all means and twitter's been trending Lance Armstrong, USADA, TdF and EPO since 6am this morning when I first checked - ahead of Brevik half the time.
    Two weeks ago everyone was excited by dressage, taekwando and trap shooting. Now they don't give a toss.
    Twitter: @RichN95