USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/story/2012-08-20/lance-armstrong-case-dismissed-by-austin-judge/57162006/1

"Lance Armstrong's court defeat sets up 3-day deadline" ...some of the options listed in this piece for those who havent followed it too much or not inclined to read the rulings.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    mfin wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9488352/Lance-Armstrongs-legal-case-with-US-Doping-Agency-dismissed-in-court.html

..the papers are finding some very cheerful Armstrong photos for their reporting of this, I don't think he's got the 'miserable face' licked as good as Contadork's efforts though.
    telegraph wrote:
    USADA launched legal proceedings against Armstrong for alleged doping violations going back 16 years.
    Five others – three team doctors and two officials – associated with the United States Postal Service (USPS) professional cycling team are also the subject of legal proceedings from USADA.

legal proceedings????

Five others??? it's 2 down 3 to go!

Very sloppy.....
  • What time tomorrow is the deadline?

Andy
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Too many deadlines, not enough dead reputations.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    I would have thought that LA had some kind of back up plan ifthe court case failed, can't see the point in waiting till the last minute to say what he's doing - What are the consequenses of him doing nothing ?? Is it automatic banning and found guilty??
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bigdawg wrote:
    What are the consequenses of him doing nothing ?? Is it automatic banning and found guilty??

Yup.
  • bigdawg wrote:
    What are the consequenses of him doing nothing ?? Is it automatic banning and found guilty??

Yup.

Followed by The Martyrdom Years
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.
    So can he just take a ban and that's it? No public revelations, testimonies and evidence. If so, he should definitely take it and then just spin it as some sort of anti-Lance conspiracy. Then he just walks off into the sunset and only a handful of people give a toss.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.
    So can he just take a ban and that's it? No public revelations, testimonies and evidence. If so, he should definitely take it and then just spin it as some sort of anti-Lance conspiracy. Then he just walks off into the sunset and only a handful of people give a toss.

He gets his titles stripped when that happens, and can't ever compete in a race ever again.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.

In this event I wouldnt be at all surprised if there were some mysterious and inexplicable leakage of witness statements...
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    RichN95 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.

In this event I wouldnt be at all surprised if there were some mysterious and inexplicable leakage of witness statements...

No doubt much of it will come out legitimately anyway in Bruyneel's arbitration
  • In this event I wouldnt be at all surprised if there were some mysterious and inexplicable leakage of witness statements...

Isn't the Hog going to arbitration already? If so, a lot of the witness statements will come out then.

Andy
  • bigdawg
    I thoguht that may be the case - what are the odds of doing nothing and then spinning it so he justifies it with how can they ban me without a fair trial (whcih is what I think Ferrari has done)..?

• bipedal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.

No doubt much of it will come out legitimately anyway in Bruyneel's arbitration

Good point - forgot about The Hog
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    It will be interesting if he is asked as witness to Bruyneel's arbitration. I don't know if he would have a choice about attending, but he would be under oath.

I think Bruyneel will be looking for a two year ban
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    RichN95 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.

Yes, but the other consequence is that that will AUTOMATICALLY void all wins over said period, which means a lot of money will have to be paid back.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

One of the best things that could come out of the whole USADA case is the Hog getting a lifetime ban.

I think he'd be lucky to get less if the stuff in the initial USADA documentation is true.

Andy
  • rick_chasey
    Lance should lose his $7m he got from that insurance company for winning 7 Tours in theory, since they all get stripped.
  • bigdawg
    will it then be a case if he loses and gets stripped of the wins that the UCI fail to recognise the authority again and uphold them?!

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    TheBigBean wrote:

One of the best things that could come out of the whole USADA case is the Hog getting a lifetime ban.

I think he'd be lucky to get less if the stuff in the initial USADA documentation is true.

Andy

I meant that the best Bruyneel can hope for is a two year ban. I think that is what he is fighting for rather than clearing his name completely. Obviously, lots of people would like a lifetime ban and to see him put in the stocks.
  • bigdawg wrote:
    will it then be a case if he loses and gets stripped of the wins that the UCI fail to recognise the authority again and uphold them?!

There seems to be a growing feeling that the IOC (at last) are starting to pay some attention to the UCI's actions. We can but hope.
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    Any thoughts as to who will be awarded LA's titles if he loses them?
    I think Ullrich will pick up 3 of them, they might delay matters until he's served his current doping ban, though!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    DNQ wrote:
    I think Ullrich will pick up 3 of them, they might delay matters until he's served his current doping ban, though!
    No one, which I think is correct.

As already shown with Riis ASO just put a star next to his name although last time I checked their website even that had gone.

You can't award a title to someone else as they are likely to also not be clean but the racing could have been different if LA wasn't there
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    RichN95 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:

Yup.
    Then he just walks off into the sunset and only a handful of people give a toss.

No matter how this turns out I believe "...only a handful of people(will) give a toss."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    sherer wrote:
    DNQ wrote:
    No one, which I think is correct.

As already shown with Riis ASO just put a star next to his name although last time I checked their website even that had gone.

You can't award a title to someone else as they are likely to also not be clean but the racing could have been different if LA wasn't there

Yes, this is the right way to do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yes, this is the right way to do it.

Aye. Did anyone think awarding Schleck A the 2010 TdF retrospectively was anything other than farcical?

Andy
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the difference then was Contador failed a test during the race that was announced a few weeks later not over 10 years after the first win.

Although giving Schleck the win then didn't seem right then either
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Lance should lose his $7m he got from that insurance company for winning 7 Tours in theory, since they all get stripped.

Because of this and the possibility of the Federal case of missuses of government funds. I think he has to take his chances with arbitration, rather than accept the ban straight off.
  • There was a tweet last night that said there would be an interview with Dr Ferrari in an Italian magazine published today. "Crash helmets at the ready" was the quote.

Anyone heard anything about this? Any juice?
  • rick_chasey
    http://sport.panorama.it/doping-parla-i ... na-kostner

It's basically a police sting on people working with Ferrari. 70 names apparently.