USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:
    Page 16 of the decision in favour of USADA's request to dismiss says Armstrong can clearly go to CAS then Swiss Courts.

Of course, who'd put money on him doing either of these things if he has an alternative which doesn't deal with the actual doping accusations.

That's standard for any conflict in sport though.

I know, it was a just a comment for who was asking what happens next in case they didn't know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So, if I get this, Armstrong can now either take the ban now, or go to court and challenge it, and presumably have all the evidence against him aired in public.

If he chooses the latter and is busted, he can go to CAS if he wants to.
  • Yay!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    So, if I get this, Armstrong can now either take the ban now, or go to court and challenge it, and presumably have all the evidence against him aired in public.

No, first step is arbitration or if he wants to keep the allegations quiet he can take the ban.
  • mfin
    USADA Statement on it:

http://www.usada.org/media/statement8202012
    “We are pleased that the federal court in Austin, Texas has dismissed Lance Armstrong’s lawsuit and upheld the established rules which provide Congressionally-mandated due process for all athletes. The rules in place have protected the rights of athletes for over a decade in every case USADA has adjudicated and we look forward to a timely, public arbitration hearing in this case, should Mr. Armstrong choose, where the evidence can be presented, witness testimony will be given under oath and subject to cross examination, and an independent panel of arbitrators will determine the outcome of the case.”
  • DeadCalm
    Of course, the UCI could try and scupper the USADA arbitration in the meantime.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DeadCalm wrote:

How?
  • mfin
    DeadCalm wrote:

No, first step is arbitration or if he wants to keep the allegations quiet he can take the ban.

He can appeal against this case first. (not that he'd stand much chance as the extension for further documentation was given and it was still dismissed).

Whatever he does do, I think it would be pretty sure he'd have a battleplan ready for each possible scenario.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

How?
    Not sure, maybe launch proceedings in Switzerland or more dramatically disassociate itself from WADA. Just think that Pat has got too much skin in the game to let it rest.
  • As mystifying as USADA's election  to proceed at this date and in this manner may be, it is equally perplexing that these three national and international bodies are apparently unable to work together to accomplish their shared goal - the regulation and promotion of cycling.

Judge Sparks using judicial code to accuse the UCI, USADA and US Cylcling of behaving like children. Plus he also threw LA the bone of "and if they stuff up the arbitration in a way that really is unfair, THEN you can come back to me and maybe my decision will be different."

He threw out LA's arguments on the (no doubt correct) technical grounds, he didn't hear any of the evidence to allow any decision on the facts of whether LA has a case to answer (let alone whether the case against LA is proved), but it's clear from the language of the judgment that Judge Sparks is none too impressed with the was USADA has gone about things.

Now, the question is "what's next?"; do they proceed to arbitration, jump straight to a full CAS hearing (which one side or the other hinted at a few weeks ago), or does LA drag this out even further by appealing Spark's decision? I don't know enough (any) US law, but most of the time there is a route of appeal from a decision of a judge at first instance here in the UK, and even if there isn't a valid appeal, it doesn't stop some people appealing anyway (bringing more delay and expense irrespective of outcome). My money's on the latter, BTW. It's a standard tactic when your pockets are deep, to fight every single step, challenge on every issue of law and appeal every single point, even if completely innocent and confident that you'll win on the facts in the end. Not that I think the latter applies to LA (the innocence, not e deep pockets, obviously).
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I haven't been following this at all, sounds quite interesting though!

Is there a concise overview of whats going on, or is it way too complicated?
    Mañana
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    this is good news and now it's down to the Thursday deadline of 23rd for LA to either accept charges or go to arbitration. As the Judge said at the end of the day this will end up at arbitration and then CAS so there seemed very little difference.

I assume Fat Pat won't be happen if this means any UCI corruption is revealed.

Lets hope LA now acts like a man and stops with this stupid this isn't legal rubbish and deals with answering the actual charges
  • mfin
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9488352/Lance-Armstrongs-legal-case-with-US-Doping-Agency-dismissed-in-court.html

..the papers are finding some very cheerful Armstrong photos for their reporting of this, I don't think he's got the 'miserable face' licked as good as Contadork's efforts though.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Doesn't look like it will be happy reading for Pat...

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
    Judge mocks the "bitter infighting" between UCI/USAC/USADA/WADA. Also states UCI had "evident desire not to proceed" against Armstrong.

Lol thank f bye Pat you fat corrupt rodent
  • Vino'sGhost
    pb21 wrote:

Yes, lance is hooked, he's wriggling trying everything to throw the hook, the hook is holding.

The net and subsequent introduction to the priest is getting closer. Expect more desperate attempts to escape.

He's not landed, there's are snags in the shallows but it could be that a record is about to be landed.

In a nut shell that is.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    pb21 wrote:

Yes, lance is hooked, he's wriggling trying everything to throw the hook, the hook is holding.

The net and subsequent introduction to the priest is getting closer. Expect more desperate attempts to escape.

He's not landed, there's are snags in the shallows but it could be that a record is about to be landed.

In a nut shell that is.

ave mixed metaphores :D
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    I expect more lawfare followed, eventually, by an acceptance of the sanctions without arbitration. He will then say he has given up fighting the witch-hunt.

Arbitration is simply not an option. It would require Armstrong to perjure himself which would than likely end in jail time.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I expect more lawfare followed, eventually, by an acceptance of the sanctions without arbitration. He will then say he has given up fighting the witch-hunt.

Arbitration is simply not an option. It would require Armstrong to perjure himself which would than likely end in jail time.

Is he at risk of perjury? As I understood, the only things he's said under oath are now past the statute for perjury.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    TheBigBean wrote:

Is he at risk of perjury? As I understood, the only things he's said under oath are now past the statute for perjury.

The arbitration process is under oath (my understanding). Hence why Armstrong is so desperate to avoid it.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12681 ... trong.aspx

Velonation extracting a refreshingly cogent (and Fat Pat free) statement from the UCI essentially fending off Judge Sparks' inference on the UCIs shady motives. The UCI reluctantly rolling over/back peddling.

I await Fat Pats broadside of bullshit (tm) tomorrow morning when he wakes up and finds out the UCI has other employees other tan himself. Either that or he is on a private jet with Verbruggen to a non-extradition country. I hear Ecuador is quite welcoming.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    pb21 wrote:

In a nut shell that is.

Thanks, no need to read 100 pages now!

Seems its going to end in some kind of legal stalemate, at least from Armstrong's perspective.
    Mañana
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    it seems to be up the creak anyway as JB and the others have decided to go to arbitration, as such the dirty linen will get aired in public anyway
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Limburger wrote:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12681/US-Postal-case-UCI-says-it-was-never-fighting-to-defend-Lance-Armstrong.aspx

Velonation extracting a refreshingly cogent (and Fat Pat free) statement from the UCI essentially fending off Judge Sparks' inference on the UCIs shady motives. The UCI reluctantly rolling over/back peddling.

I await Fat Pats broadside of bullshit (tm) tomorrow morning when he wakes up and finds out the UCI has other employees other tan himself. Either that or he is on a private jet with Verbruggen to a non-extradition country. I hear Ecuador is quite welcoming.
    That's cogent? We want what we proposed all along (which is exactly what USADA wanted too), but we needed to defend our interpretation of the rules. Even if we haven't stated that & we are welcoming a judge ruling against us as if that actually is the outcome we wanted. Even though we just said we wanted something else...
    Or in particular "For us the principle of this controversy was the principle an international federation rules an autonomy in these kind of matters." WTF? Maybe English is a second language for the spokesperson, so I can live with the fact that doesn't mean anything, but it appears to say something that wasn't even under dispute... Or if it was, the UCI got a bloody nose & Sparks was quite critical of them. So it's either mince, or it's mince.

At least you can understand what Fat Pat is wanting or meaning. Even if it's utter s***e. This is utter s***e and it's not remotely cogent....

It's less disagreeable and a welcome step forward. As you say, someone will be losing their job tomorrow in another volte face though...
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    This is utter s***e and it's not remotely cogent....

:lol: Should have got some rolly eyes in there and some ironic italics. By 'refreshingly cogent' I meant - not in anyway cogent, unsurprisingly.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Limburger wrote:
    :lol: Should have got some rolly eyes in there and some ironic italics. By 'refreshingly cogent' I meant - not in anyway cogent, unsurprisingly.
    Sorry, I had intended to ask if you were being ironic, but got carried away in criticising the idiocy of the quoted statement. Refreshingly cogent by UCI standards right? I just missed the qualifier. D'oh!
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    Newsflash: Armstrong receives reduced sentence in exchange for testimony against GOD.

USADA CEO Tygart states 'yes Armstrong was only the bait, albeit the ultimate mutha-fxckin giant anaconda worm but it was necessary to hook our true catch; GOD'

So far no word from GOD but his representatives have promised to strike down Tygart and bring 400 days of fire and brimstone down upon the USA and all it stands for.

In all the confusion, Pat McQuaid may have misread the situation in announcing that the UCI now actively follows the muslim faith and that all riders must pray pre and post races by bowing in a direction which points their lycra clad ass directly at the West and infidels lair.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Just reading Judge Sparks rejected Armstrong. Lance has till August 23rd to take a ban or go to arbitration
  • Vino'sGhost
    plectrum wrote:
    Newsflash: Armstrong receives reduced sentence in exchange for testimony against GOD.

USADA CEO Tygart states 'yes Armstrong was only the bait, albeit the ultimate mutha-fxckin giant anaconda worm but it was necessary to hook our true catch; GOD'

So far no word from GOD but his representatives have promised to strike down Tygart and bring 400 days of fire and brimstone down upon the USA and all it stands for.

In all the confusion, Pat McQuaid may have misread the situation in announcing that the UCI now actively follows the muslim faith and that all riders must pray pre and post races by bowing in a direction which points their lycra clad ass directly at the West and infidels lair.
    Lol nice one. But you forgot that Jesus loves us all.

Well most of us anyway.