USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• the fun part is a bit gone now he's pulled out....

As much as there was ever going to be a fun part of this, it's gone now the salacious details aren't going to be aired in court.

Also a lot of hysteria about what he's actually been banned for, ie. the conspiracy being more important than the actual doping.

Andy
  • ReesA
    ReesA Posts: 62
    the fun part is a bit gone now he's pulled out....

As much as there was ever going to be a fun part of this, it's gone now the salacious details aren't going to be aired in court.

Also a lot of hysteria about what he's actually been banned for, ie. the conspiracy being more important than the actual doping.

Andy

USADA are clear that all the details will come out but after the other cases that are linked have been dealt with.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    This isn't nearly as much fun as I hoped it would be.
    agreed

there may be more though :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    tarzan13 wrote:
    This isn't nearly as much fun as I hoped it would be.

agree... the fun part is a bit gone now he's pulled out....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :oops:
  • tarzan13
    tarzan13 Posts: 78
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/9499744/Lance-Armstrong-was-tipped-off-20-minutes-before-he-was-tested-claims-French-anti-doping-official.html

Not sure if it is true but it would make sense that without an extensive support network it was pretty much impossible. Landis' also claimed that there was an such a network at one stage if I remember correctly.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    It'll be more fun when the testimonies are released but by then the storm will have passed somewhat. Lance chose the way out that left plenty up in the air but it'll all gradually come falling to earth. Just a shame most people will have moved on by then. Which is what he's hoping will preserve enough of his image to survive in the public eye.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Fair play & respect to Gustav Larsson - Anyone else now fear for him and his job now and a rogue test somehow "pops up" as he's now spoke up against the Omerta & friends.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It'll be more fun when the testimonies are released but by then the storm will have passed somewhat. Lance chose the way out that left plenty up in the air but it'll all gradually come falling to earth. Just a shame most people will have moved on by then. Which is what he's hoping will preserve enough of his image to survive in the public eye.

Whatever the case you can never count anyone out. Plenty of stories of people who have committed crimes, fell into disgrace(if you will), paid whatever price there was to pay, and came back to be far better people than they were before. I know everyone is wishing that he crawls on his belly, in the dirt, for the rest of his life but realistically I see him taking his medicine(so to speak) and moving on with his life. What else is there to do? It's what you and I would do or at least try to do. He's going to move on. Everyone else should too.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dennisn wrote:

Whatever the case you can never count anyone out. Plenty of stories of people who have committed crimes, fell into disgrace(if you will), paid whatever price there was to pay, and came back to be far better people than they were before. I know everyone is wishing that he crawls on his belly, in the dirt, for the rest of his life but realistically I see him taking his medicine(so to speak) and moving on with his life. What else is there to do? It's what you and I would do or at least try to do. He's going to move on. Everyone else should too.

But he's not 'taking his medicine'... if he'd just 'fess up he would save himself a lot more grief and time (and could've saved a lot of US taxpayers' money). He could've even written the definitive account of it all with all proceed going to his foundation/private-jet fund. Until such a time I think he'll find it pretty difficult to 'move on with his life' regardless of his public utterances to the contrary.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    dennisn wrote:

I don't want to see him crawling in the dirt. I'd just like him to acknowledge his crimes. Ok, he's in a lot deeper but compare this situation to Millar's journey from doping to redemption.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    dennisn wrote:
    ... I know everyone is wishing that he crawls on his belly, in the dirt, for the rest of his life but realistically I see him taking his medicine(so to speak) and moving on with his life. What else is there to do? It's what you and I would do or at least try to do. He's going to move on. Everyone else should too.

where's the misery in that? there's no the soul searching, no abject, tear filled 'will you please forgive me!' in that scenario!

We want, nay demand; pathos, humility and shame, (not the same as curly, mo and the other one), before forgiveness can be contemplated.

If Lance wants to be forgiven by us, he has to learn to forgive himself first.... what's that Lance? you forgave yourself for your sins before you started? You... you don't WANT us to forgive you? you couldn't give a... a rats ass?!!

Say it ain't so Lance! Please Lance, Purlease! Forgive me, I'm sorry.... I'm so very sorry.....
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    ReesA wrote:
    the fun part is a bit gone now he's pulled out....

Andy

USADA are clear that all the details will come out but after the other cases that are linked have been dealt with.

That's not what they said!
    What they said was "at the right time" and "in due course" which is not the same thing.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for the details !
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    ... I know everyone is wishing that he crawls on his belly, in the dirt, for the rest of his life but realistically I see him taking his medicine(so to speak) and moving on with his life. What else is there to do? It's what you and I would do or at least try to do. He's going to move on. Everyone else should too.

where's the misery in that? there's no the soul searching, no abject, tear filled 'will you please forgive me!' in that scenario!

We want, nay demand; pathos, humility and shame, (not the same as curly, mo and the other one), before forgiveness can be contemplated.

If Lance wants to be forgiven by us, he has to learn to forgive himself first.... what's that Lance? you forgave yourself for your sins before you started? You... you don't WANT us to forgive you? you couldn't give a... a rats ass?!!

Say it ain't so Lance! Please Lance, Purlease! Forgive me, I'm sorry.... I'm so very sorry.....

You're stating to sound like you're a little jealous because he didn't have to do what YOU thought he should. Were you expecting some big budget movie ending with tons of explosions and fireworks and now you're mad because you didn't get your money's worth? Go to the box office and see if they will give you a refund. :roll:
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

I don't want to see him crawling in the dirt. I'd just like him to acknowledge his crimes.

I can't help you with that. He will do what he will do. I have no pull. Even though some people used to, or still do, think that I was his No.1 fan. :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I forget where but somebody pointed out that he still has nt actually said he never doped and rode all the Tours clean, he's still trying to talk around the subject!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    dennisn wrote:
    You're stating to sound like you're a little jealous because he didn't have to do what YOU thought he should. Were you expecting some big budget movie ending with tons of explosions and fireworks and now you're mad because you didn't get your money's worth? Go to the box office and see if they will give you a refund. :roll:

No Dennis, I'm not jealous nor mad, just 'avin a larf.

I thought it was pretty obvious I wasn't taking it seriously. should have put loads of smiles and winkies in there for you.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ddraver wrote:
    I forget where but somebody pointed out that he still has nt actually said he never doped and rode all the Tours clean, he's still trying to talk around the subject!

Do you mean Lance or Dennis? :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Ha! :D
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ddraver wrote:

I don't remember him categorically saying he has never doped.

He keeps saying he hasn't failed a test which seems significantly different to me

(well, apart from the steroid one he failed, and the TourdeSuisse one which was allegedly covered-up, and the retested 1999 Tour one which found EPO, but he's not mentioning them...
    The 'most tested athlete on the planet' line is bollox as well, someone found some stats a few years ago of the number of tests various people had had and he was well down the list)
  • DNQ
    andy_wrx wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

He keeps saying he hasn't failed a test which seems significantly different to me

(well, apart from the steroid one he failed, and the TourdeSuisse one which was allegedly covered-up, and the retested 1999 Tour one which found EPO, but he's not mentioning them...
    The 'most tested athlete on the planet' line is bollox as well, someone found some stats a few years ago of the number of tests various people had had and he was well down the list)
    You're not wrong, I'm glad you used the word "allegedly" though.
    The retested 1999 sample was, of course, an invalid test for a few reasons, as I'm sure you know.
    Most tested athlete/500 tests may well be spin, but he was tested hundreds of times, the most conservative estimate I have heard is 350.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    This this was posted earlier in this tread but this thread is looooong so here it is again for good measure.

The most tested athlete shtick is guff. He isn't even the most tested Armstrong. Apparently there is a female mountain biker (off the top of my head) who is more tested.

Or maybe he means he gave 500 samples and somehow through the magic of the UCI only 250 were ever tested. Conveniently.

lancetesthistory.png
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Not only is that a dubious assumption, comments like Kohl's always cause you to question them. When considering the limiting factors of testing, passing a particular test however many times you claim doesn't give it any more validity. It's like everybody has OCD, and it doesn't matter how pointless the act is, they're just comforted by the fact that it's been done.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    If I sat the English GCSE paper 500 times I would probably pass them all... doesn't mean I can sprell.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Vino'sGhost
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    If I sat the English GCSE paper 500 times I would probably pass them all... doesn't mean I can sprell.

Maybe not this year :lol:
    It's a disgrace I tell you.

Ave barely educated Calves
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Exam questions can be difficult though to be fair, try explaining this one to a lot of Americans.

Q. If Lance Armstrong has 7 TDF wins and Eddy Merckx has 5 TDF wins, how many wins do they have between them?

A. 5
  • DNQ
    mfin wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Exam questions can be difficult though to be fair, try explaining this one to a lot of Americans.

Q. If Lance Armstrong has 7 TDF wins and Eddy Merckx has 5 TDF wins, how many wins do they have between them?

A. 5
    And how many dope free wins between them?
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    DNQ wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

You're not wrong, I'm glad you used the word "allegedly" though.
    The retested 1999 sample was, of course, an invalid test for a few reasons, as I'm sure you know.
    Most tested athlete/500 tests may well be spin, but he was tested hundreds of times, the most conservative estimate I have heard is 350.

Don't forget his new line of...
    I played by the rules.
    Mañana
  • mfin
    DNQ wrote:
    And how many dope free wins between them?

Yeah, I know, I know
  • mfin
    DNQ wrote:

Six retested samples epo positive though, not singular.
  • tarzan13
    tarzan13 Posts: 78
    A strange response if you ask me, unless they are after some other big fish...

"[If Armstrong had of] come in and been truthful, then the evidence might have been that the statute [of limitations] should apply," Tygart said.

Tygart also explained that the Agency was willing to talk to Armstrong should he ever want to reconsider his stance.

"We always remain open, because while the truth hurts, ultimately, from what we have seen in these types of cases, acknowledging the truth is the best way forward," he said.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-a ... -tour-wins