USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    skylla wrote:
    What is the exact name of the charge he could receive and potentially go to prison for?

It's not a criminal investigation! However, Feds could get involved again once USADA is done!

Yeah, I mean if they do. What can they bring against him?

Well, possibly misuse of tax payers money, intimidating witnesses, concealment, intention to deceive, etc.

BTW has LA ever been under oath??
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Moray Gub wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    God you go out for a meal on a midweek and this breaks :D what have i missed ??

Does this mean he will be stripped off his titles and more importantly will his lovechild "Moray Gub" ever come on here again 8)

Moray I implore you to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia6dV_G5UxE&feature=player_embedded

...surely you can see the funny side of this? (...tiptoes out of the room...)

Aye not bad those Hitler things are a bit played out though but check out the Harry Potter one easily the best ive seen .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5JPRpxJzMM

a_1597.gif
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • skylla
    prawny wrote:
    josame wrote:
    That's just silly (no offence meant) but if they had the evidence they didn't have to wait for this before they prosecute.....

None taken, hence the question mark. I was just wordering whether, if say, they had some evidence that wouldn't be admissable in court because of the way they came about it (bearing in mind I watch a LOT of CSI) but then became public knowledge in a doping investigation it might then be usable?

Again just conjecture, I'm not a legal eagle. I just find it hard to belive that USPS were doping but not using the sponsors money to pay for it, ergo there should have been something from the federal case.

Exactement!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    skylla wrote:
    intention to deceive, etc.

This is a Federal offence? I'm not so sure...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    More likely it'll be possession, distribution and encouragement of drugs they're not allowed to have...
  • skylla
    skylla wrote:
    intention to deceive, etc.

This is a Federal offence? I'm not so sure...

It's a criminal offence (and so is intention to) and as long as it happened on US soil it can be a case for the fed's.

Deceiving of sponsors, investigators, employers, doping agencies, the list is actually long.
  • skylla
    edited June 2012
    More likely it'll be possession, distribution and encouragement of drugs they're not allowed to have...

In case of USADA, yes.

But the FEDs? Is there evidence you know of that this occurred stateside?

PS: in that case you might want to keep your trips to Amsterdam quiet.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Times looks nice...

times.jpg
  • TMR
    skylla wrote:
    It's a criminal offence (and so is intention to) and as long as it happened on US soil it can be a case for the fed's.

Deceiving of sponsors, investigators, employers, doping agencies, the list is actually long.

That's interesting, thanks. I presume if the deception occurred overseas then they wouldn't be able to prosecute? US law is a mystery to me :(
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    mfin wrote:
    Times looks nice...

times.jpg

Jesus are Breitling involved in this as well? Does it make it more upmarket than the Festina scandal?

Meanwhile, is it the opinion of the forum that the comeback was his downfall and he would have otherwise got away with it if he'd have stayed retired?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I'm have no skills in anti-doping enforcement or law but isn't the anonymity things going to devalue some of what USADA are doing here ? I can understand given Larry's history of intimidation why they would do this but surely to have any credibility (and in the interests of fairness) they've got to publish who has said what.

Certainly if I was a lawyer on the LA team that's the first thing I'd throw back at USADA. Are there any precedences for a similar approach with another case of this nature ?
  • TMR
    dsoutar wrote:
    I'm have no skills in anti-doping enforcement or law but isn't the anonymity things going to devalue some of what USADA are doing here ? I can understand given Larry's history of intimidation why they would do this but surely to have any credibility (and in the interests of fairness) they've got to publish who has said what.

Certainly if I was a lawyer on the LA team that's the first thing I'd throw back at USADA. Are there any precedences for a similar approach with another case of this nature ?

They probably will reveal who said what during any hearing.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Could it be that the District Attorney is playing the long game all along and getting USADA to nail LA on doping?
    Taking one of LA's main defence stance of being tested thousands of times and always been clean.
    Therefore having nearly a watertight case him.
  • mididoctors

Meanwhile, is it the opinion of the forum that the comeback was his downfall and he would have otherwise got away with it if he'd have stayed retired?

certainily mine

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12585393&start=60

this could all end in tears

he can't win..

if he wins at 37 its simply unbelievable and if doesn't people will say he can't do it without the sauce...

if he rode in the US or something... but the tour...

some one push him off early season and save us all the mess in the press at the tour.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

That's pretty much what I think. His hubris went too far
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pride.

It gets them all in the end.

Somewhere, a Nike VP of Marketing is contemplating where it all went wrong, first Tiger now Lance....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:

Landis and Hamilton would have still said what they said had he not come back.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I presume if the deception occurred overseas then they wouldn't be able to prosecute? US law is a mystery to me :(
    Something happening overseas doesn't seem to stop the US authorities from getting people extradited for simply sharing music. And just look at the 100,000 people plus they have subjected to 'rendition'. (A euphemism for 'kidnap and imprisonment in a dedicated torture centre'.)

I think Armstrong, Bruyneel and Ferrari might look rather fetching in orange overalls. :lol:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

If it is, in that case should we all be grateful that he did indeed make a comeback ? Tricky one, that !!
  • rick_chasey
    dsoutar wrote:

If it is, in that case should we all be grateful that he did indeed make a comeback ? Tricky one, that !!

If finally getting it stick puts closure on the whole of the early '00s, up to 2008, which I think it very well might, then yes - I am grateful.
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:

Landis and Hamilton would have still said what they said had he not come back.

landis????? not sure about that

the crux of it to me is the Landis snub fueled by the comeback
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Timoid. wrote:

It's unlikely that Landis would have piped up without Lance's come back

Good job he did though, or they'd have never got The Hog, which for me is more important than Lance getting done.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Bastards beat me again. It's my own fault though I have to keep switching tabs when the boss walks by.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • skylla
    Timoid. wrote:

Certainly his hubris & smugness, but not his comeback per se. The passing of time certainly plays a factor in this. Newer technologies, understanding of doping, general expectations of sportsmen, public's attitude to doping, USADA flexing their muscles and most of all the OVERBEARING AND DEAFENING NOISE OF THE GNAWING CONSCIENCE of grown up men and women.
  • mididoctors
    lance_armstrong.jpg

FFstyle

I think everyone was willing to let go after 2008... it was LA taking the rise
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I like that. Never seen it before.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors

looks like a recruitment poster for the waffen SS
  • skylla

looks like a recruitment poster for the waffen SS

My thoughts.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lol!!
    Contador is the Greatest