USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    skylla wrote:

I love the way the bloke said he was preparing for the Tri in Nice and decided to turn around and come back to deal with it... good decision there Mr Lance, must've been a tough one seeing as you're not allowed to race :roll: :)
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    USADA off's tagging along with feds:

"In a previous letter, Luskin [la's lawyer] complained that USADA officials had tagged along with federal criminal investigators to interview witnesses during a two-year probe that ended in February with no criminal charges being brought against Armstrong."

Source: http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/sto ... usada-case
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    If Wiggo wins in the tour, the awful ironic final outcome for me will be that I spent the last few years convincing disinterested friends that LA was a doper, and the next few years convincing same disinterested friends that Wiggo wasn't. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    For a moment I had a horrific vision where Wiggo wins the Tour, I spend years pointing out why we should suspect the result and would be naive to think that doping is no longer rife in the sport, in response being personally abused and called a 'cynic', seeing threads locked and all the rest, just as happened with regards Armstrong, only for all the dirt to once again come to light in about six years from now. :lol:

I hope that non of that ever happens of course!
    Ah, it's not about the bike. It's not about the doping. It' s all about you. Of course!!!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

And I thought he could sink no further down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Lock doors, close windows, call in the kids (not in that order of course)
  • mfin
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

God, last I heard of Gary Glitter was in the 70s, does he still do the music?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    mfin wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Not so much now, no. Not many want to be in his gang, apparently.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Ah, shame, he's a nice bloke, good fun n that. Might google him in a min, see what he's been up to.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Whew, just caught up.
    I can't remember which page it was on, never mind who the posters were, but I wanted to point out that yes, many cycling journalists were fully aware of what was going on, and no doubt wanted to publish, but their publishers were wary of being sued by LA, and it was this which kept them quiet rather than the fear of advertisers leaving. Ned Boulting's book "How I Won the Yellow Jumper", which is essentially a most enjoyable piece of fluff for reading on the train, had to be run past a lawyer before Boulting could publish the pages on LA. And it was the publisher who insisted on this.

I read once that Festina claimed that the 'Festina Affair' had done them no harm whatsoever, and it continues to give them publicity. Quickly.....how many of the other teams in the 1998 Tour can you name?

And lastly, but most importantly, it's good to see you Moray. There's just a couple of tired looking vol-au-vents and the dregs of some Bollinger left, but here's a mug of fresh tea and a couple of Tunnock's caramel wafers for you. I've stuck half a dozen beers in the fridge for Dennis when he shows up.

No idea where all that cheese vanished to though.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tusher wrote:

I think I must have eaten it all in one go because I'm currently having hallucinations about fans of the Archers discussing the Giro :shock:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    symo wrote:
    Does this mean Lance is now free to compete in Gran Fondo's like other drug cheats like Ricco?
    Well, if he does, they could always test him. It’ll make it 601 tests he’s done.
    601, a prime number, it should appeal to his ego.

I don’t know about Gran Fondos in the USA but doping tests are done at some continental Gran Fondo and Sportives, and there have been cases in Italy (lots) and Austria (a couple) of riders at such events being found to have doped (usually licenced amateurs who finished high up in the event, often belonging to sponsored amateur teams for licence-only races).
    They’ve then been given bans for so many months or years. I imagine a ban of a year or more also meant they lost their licence and dropped down at least one category – sort of messes up ambitions.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    to those who say they all doped during the LA era the difference is that USPS had inside knowledge of when the tests were due to be carried out and could even overturn a positive test.

They went from single riders doping to a whole team doping knowing the governing body would cover up for them. That is the difference and hopefully after all of this we will end up with a new UCI who actually do the job they are meant to
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793

Yes and no? You are too polite. Virtually all no, including LGB, where Lance sat on Brad's wheel for most of the climb and jumped him towards the top. Then he hitched a ride with Nibali, who caught him, with ease, on the downhill.

true enough but isn't that a definition of turned over

I actually give Larry a fair amount credit for the ride he did that day.... showed a lot of savvy and experience cos he bluffed garmin into riding and And and ...etc
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • A few months ago, there was the question about whether Lance would ever have charges brought against 'em!

TOLD YA SO!!!
    , marked my words.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Larry Pharmstrong gets a whole 2-page spread in today's Times, pages 4 and 5 so any hope that this would remain in the back pages is wrong.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Let us not forget this is only the start of proceedings.

*although I love the fact that Pharmstrong's lawyer was whining about the fact the USADA tagged along to federal interviews - I do believe the bodily excretion is now about to hit the rotating air movement device.

How many people did his legal team rile with defamation/slander suits who will now be reviewing those case files.

Kimmage laughing much now :D

Also really pleased to read about Bassons and Simeoni, especially Simeoni publicly called a liar by Pharmstrong I wonder if he could start slander case now???
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Tusher wrote:
    Whew, just caught up.
    I can't remember which page it was on, never mind who the posters were, but I wanted to point out that yes, many cycling journalists were fully aware of what was going on, and no doubt wanted to publish, but their publishers were wary of being sued by LA, and it was this which kept them quiet rather than the fear of advertisers leaving. Ned Boulting's book "How I Won the Yellow Jumper", which is essentially a most enjoyable piece of fluff for reading on the train, had to be run past a lawyer before Boulting could publish the pages on LA. And it was the publisher who insisted on this.

I read once that Festina claimed that the 'Festina Affair' had done them no harm whatsoever, and it continues to give them publicity. Quickly.....how many of the other teams in the 1998 Tour can you name?

And lastly, but most importantly, it's good to see you Moray. There's just a couple of tired looking vol-au-vents and the dregs of some Bollinger left, but here's a mug of fresh tea and a couple of Tunnock's caramel wafers for you. I've stuck half a dozen beers in the fridge for Dennis when he shows up.

I know not many people cannot remember now what happened in 1998 but in1999 it was a Watershed moment in cycling and it's still a huge landmark in cycling history. The big cheeses in cycling wanted to turn the page and LA was a good story. It's something I read at some point.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Ah, shame, he's a nice bloke, good fun n that. Might google him in a min, see what he's been up to.

he's been fiddling with little kids in Vietnam and Cambodia ... the pr*k. Needs to be castrated
    www.dotcycling.com
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    symo wrote:
    Let us not forget this is only the start of proceedings.

*although I love the fact that Pharmstrong's lawyer was whining about the fact the USADA tagged along to federal interviews - I do believe the bodily excretion is now about to hit the rotating air movement device.

How many people did his legal team rile with defamation/slander suits who will now be reviewing those case files.

Kimmage laughing much now :D

Also really pleased to read about Bassons and Simeoni, especially Simeoni publicly called a liar by Pharmstrong I wonder if he could start slander case now???

true, he's managed to get a federal investigation stopped and i'm sure he has more money that USADA. If he can beat the feds he might be able to beat this too.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    sherer wrote:
    true, he's managed to get a federal investigation stopped

Has he? When did that happen?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    sherer wrote:

true, he's managed to get a federal investigation stopped and i'm sure he has more money that USADA. If he can beat the feds he might be able to beat this too.

He's between a rock and a hard place.

If you contest it, all the evidence will be aired publicly. If you don't, you basically accept guilt. Some "in the know" folks yesterday we alluding his camp had already started harassing witnesses.

Also, as he said 2 months ago he wasn't going to fight it anymore, he knew what was coming.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Tusher wrote:
    yes, many cycling journalists were fully aware of what was going on, and no doubt wanted to publish, but their publishers were wary of being sued by LA, and it was this which kept them quiet rather than the fear of advertisers leaving. Ned Boulting's book "How I Won the Yellow Jumper", which is essentially a most enjoyable piece of fluff for reading on the train, had to be run past a lawyer before Boulting could publish the pages on LA. And it was the publisher who insisted on this.
    And yet he was still happy to make a buck from writing a book featuring Armstrong...

Far too many 'journalists' and publishers have pandered to Armstrong not because they were afraid of being sued (which once a substantial amount of information became public knowledge was not going to happen in any case) but because Armstrong represented a 'cash cow' that they all wanted to benefit from, even though they knew of all the cheating and corruption that lay behind the myth.

They are as complicit in all this as the UCI are. They always had the choice of not writing about him at all, or in only the most passing manner, and instead they looked to the cash.
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    Concerning J.Bruyneel: Andy and Fränk are probably going to leave RNT, the lawyer of the Schleck-brothers is already in negociations with other teams.

http://www.wort.lu/de/view/schlecks-auf-dem-absprung-4fdae29fe4b061d3bee24791
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

If you contest it, all the evidence will be aired publicly. If you don't, you basically accept guilt. Some "in the know" folks yesterday we alluding his camp had already started harassing witnesses.

If they are actually doing that, it's a dangerous game.

Very very dangerous.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Tusher wrote:
    yes, many cycling journalists were fully aware of what was going on, and no doubt wanted to publish, but their publishers were wary of being sued by LA, and it was this which kept them quiet rather than the fear of advertisers leaving. Ned Boulting's book "How I Won the Yellow Jumper", which is essentially a most enjoyable piece of fluff for reading on the train, had to be run past a lawyer before Boulting could publish the pages on LA. And it was the publisher who insisted on this.
    And yet he was still happy to make a buck from writing a book featuring Armstrong...

Far too many 'journalists' and publishers have pandered to Armstrong not because they were afraid of being sued (which once a substantial amount of information became public knowledge was not going to happen in any case) but because Armstrong represented a 'cash cow' that they all wanted to benefit from, even though they knew of all the cheating and corruption that lay behind the myth.

They are as complicit in all this as the UCI are. They always had the choice of not writing about him at all, or in only the most passing manner, and instead they looked to the cash.

So Boulting should have written a book about his experiences covering the Tour De France and NOT mentioned the winner? Really? You actually think that's what he should have done! Man I knew you were interested in doping but you re not, you re obsessed!!

I thought Boulting's book gave a very good inside view into the workings of Larry and Discovery - The Simeoni bit was particuarly good. I certainly did nt come away from reading the book with a better opinion of Armstrong!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Very very dangerous.

True, but we do need to be careful believing everything we read on twitta.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Very very dangerous.

For sure.

It's not like people on USP don't have precedent for that behaviour.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Indeed. But I took that from someone reliable.

And remember Lance / Tyler in Aspen last year. Lance is a bit thick sometimes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.