USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Jimmy McArmstrong: What the f__k did I do?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Waaaaaay off topic, but fans of The Wire* should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_vQozw4N0o

*There are people who aren't??
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    lance_armstrong.jpg

I think the guy in the real SS recruitment poster below looks less of a sociopath than LA does in that shot. Then again, perhaps that is to be expected given that Armstrong's Nietzschean 'Will to power' was so great that it even beat cancer.

S009861full.jpg
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    afx237vi wrote:
    Waaaaaay off topic, but fans of The Wire* should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_vQozw4N0o

*There are people who aren't??

I know, Disgusting isn't it.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I think the guy in the real SS recruitment poster below looks less of a sociopath than LA does in that shot. Then again, perhaps that is to be expected given that Armstrong's Nietzschean 'Will to power' was so great that it even beat cancer.

Jeez you have some issues Bernie. Hate the doper if you like, but don't knock a guy for overcoming a terrible disease.

And wtf is there is always some loser in every debate that brings up the Nazis or Hitler?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Timoid. wrote:

Jeez you have some issues Bernie. Hate the doper if you like, but don't knock a guy for overcoming a terrible disease.

Doesn't he attribute his recovery to "good doctors and good luck", rather than his own epicness?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    When you walk through the garden, you gotta watch your teammates
    Well, I beg your pardon, walk the straight and narrow track
    When you walk with Bradley, he’s gonna save your soul
    You got to keep Lance, well you gotta keep him down in the hole

He’s got the fire, people he’s got the fury at his command
    We got to keep the Lance, keep him on down, down in the hole
    That red horned lousy low-life underneath our boots

Yeah.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Clearly. some folks been out for a liquid lunch (or something stronger), because I feel I've just tripped into a third-dimension...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    haters goin' to hate
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Clearly. some folks been out for a liquid lunch (or something stronger), because I feel I've just tripped into a third-dimension...

it'll be the 5th dimension when nothing happens and he gets off
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2012
    Monty Dog wrote:

edit: deleted a load of rubbish. Added this:
    Armstrong believes the building of a case on the testament of anonymous witnesses, who have reportedly been granted immunity from their own self-confessed doping activities, demonstrates a prior assumption of Armstrong's guilt by USADA and unwillingness to investigate him without prejudice.

You can kind of see his point. Surely the whole point is to get everyone, not gang up on one person. Make the sport clean, not to punish one guy more severely just because he made you all look like a bunch of incompetent chumps for 7 years.

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/c ... arges.html
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Timoid. wrote:
    And wtf is there is always some loser in every debate that brings up the Nazis or Hitler?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

That's utterly ridiculous. Given enough time someone might mention 'green mice'. Given enough time a mouse on a keyboard will reproduce the complete works of Nietsche. Never mind...
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    coriordan wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Armstrong believes the building of a case on the testament of anonymous witnesses, who have reportedly been granted immunity from their own self-confessed doping activities, demonstrates a prior assumption of Armstrong's guilt by USADA and unwillingness to investigate him without prejudice.

You can kind of see his point. Surely the whole point is to get everyone, not gang up on one person. Make the sport clean, not to punish one guy more severely just because he made you all look like a bunch of incompetent chumps for 7 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... arges.html

But this isn't about one person cheating in the tour or a witch hunt against one person - it's charges bought against a number of people, LA being one of them, who trafficked, administered and supplied drugs, amongst other things.
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    bigdawg wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... arges.html

But this isn't about one person cheating in the tour or a witch hunt against one person - it's charges bought against a number of people, LA being one of them, who trafficked, administered and supplied drugs, amongst other things.

Yep the media are playing right into Armstrong's hands it's not about busting a rider for doping, its about busting a doping ring and the people that run it not the customers. The more the news and people treat it like a normal doping investigation the more the weight it gives to lances arguments.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iainf72
    Was having a read of the Asylum this afternoon, and it was the usual dross, aside from someone who wondered why Chris Carmichael wasn't on the list....
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I just read Chris Horner's response on one of the links above. Is he really that naive or just being fiercely loyal?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • BikingBernie
    Timoid. wrote:
    Hate the doper if you like, but don't knock a guy for overcoming a terrible disease.
    He got lucky, had good medical treatment and survived. That is all.

Numerous studies have shown that a patients 'will to live' has no bearing on whether they do survive or not and even if Armstrong admits that he simply was lucky, plenty of others have portrayed his survival as a 'Triumph of the will' ( :wink: ). 'The man who beat cancer' and all that.

I see this emphasis on the role of 'will' in relation to cancer as being wholly unhelpful. For example, what attitude should be taken towards those who die of the disease? Imply that if they only had shown greater will to live they would have survived, so their demise is effectively their own fault? This narrative is so popular in the USA because fits in well with the American conception of 'meritocracy', where anyone who accrues great wealth must be held to be fully deserving of it and the 'failures' in life's rat race have only themselves to blame. However, both conceptions are a fraud.
    Timoid. wrote:
    Just look at the photo! And at least three people drew the parallel before I commented on it!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    Was having a read of the Asylum this afternoon, and it was the usual dross, aside from someone who wondered why Chris Carmichael wasn't on the list....

Visiting that place is like shagging an ex, a short burst of excitement followed by a lot of bitterness and soul searching.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    iainf72 wrote:

Visiting that place is like shagging an ex, a short burst of excitement followed by a lot of bitterness and soul searching.

More like visiting a house of ill-repute. Do you feel dirty and wracked with self- loathing now Iain?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • iainf72

More like visiting a house of ill-repute. Do you feel dirty and wracked with self- loathing now Iain?

I usually work in investment banking, so no more than usual.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    mfin wrote:

The tone of that letter... christ :roll: ...I didn't realise there were lawyers that unprofessional out there, stating their opinion as fact etc, let alone the emotional charge of it all. Quite odd. Perhaps, its an American culture thing, I don't know.

You are spot on. It is a incredibly unprofessional letter, but unfortunately typical of some of the mid-tier US law firms - some of whom are closer to the "ambulance chaser" stereotype than you might believe. In courts/tribunals on this side of the pond, such a letter could undermine the case of a defendant as the unprofessionalism would be seen as unwarranted, disrespectful and inappropriate. The US system on the otherhand is a little more "open", and less couched in conservative behaviour... Anyway, these US shows make for good watching :-)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • BikingBernie
    ddraver wrote:
    A Collation of Pro responses - http://bananasandwater.tumblr.com/

thanks Festinagirl...
    From that link.
    Geraint Thomas hopes Lance Armstrong clears name

"He has had numerous allegations thrown at him through the years but hopefully he hasn't done anything wrong. Hopefully people can let it go."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/18442349

Proof that some riders in Sky are on drugs, though not the performance enhancing kind. :lol:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Sorry - obviously not in the loop here. The Asylum ?
  • iainf72
    dsoutar wrote:
    Sorry - obviously not in the loop here. The Asylum ?

The Clinic on cyclingnews forums.
  • iainf72
  • BikingBernie
    No word on twitter from Wiggo yet. He seems to think that talking about farting after eating beetroot soup is of more importance...

Going by festinagirl's links, plenty of pros seem to want to maintain both the myth and the omerta...
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I'd rather Wiggins said nothing , Geraint Thomas should have probably kept quiet as well
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:
    Hate the doper if you like, but don't knock a guy for overcoming a terrible disease.
    He got lucky, had good medical treatment and survived. That is all.

Numerous studies have shown that a patients 'will to live' has no bearing on whether they do survive or not and even if Armstrong admits that he simply was lucky, plenty of others have portrayed his survival as a 'Triumph of the will' ( :wink: ). 'The man who beat cancer' and all that.

I see this emphasis on the role of 'will' in relation to cancer as being wholly unhelpful. For example, what attitude should be taken towards those who die of the disease? Imply that if they only had shown greater will to live they would have survived, so their demise is effectively their own fault? This narrative is so popular in the USA because fits in well with the American conception of 'meritocracy', where anyone who accrues great wealth must be held to be fully deserving of it and the 'failures' in life's rat race have only themselves to blame. However, both conceptions are a fraud.
    Timoid. wrote:
    Just look at the photo! And at least three people drew the parallel before I commented on it!

You really are stupid. You made some jibe about him using Nazi-think to overcome cancer. I said that was out of order, which it is. I passed no comment on his super powers of doing so. He's a human being who got through a terrible ordeal. So quit the Nazi crap and quit interpreting other peoples statements wrongly in your snide manner.

I've lost people to cancer and some people I love have pulled through the same ordeal. It's horrible.

You see yourself as some anti-doping warrior, but you're just a smartarse bore. You trash every thread you are on with your windbagging and wilful misinterpretation of what others post and blatantly have no real interest or appreciation for cylcing. So kindly shove it up your hole and sod off someplace else you sad little man.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    As if things couldn't get any worse.
    Looks like it's time for the UCI to demand another "Astana payment".
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radiosh ... -continues
    SGDT.

That doesn't look good. It appears as though RSNT is going to explode spectacularly reading that article.